Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

4 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

So, does Stuart Armstrong not exist anymore or what? 

Its a good but very sad point. He was such a mainstay for so long, we need him playing

He must be way down the pecking order now, with McGinn, McTominey (hopefully) playing every week as well as Macgregor playing in europe likely for celtic. Also the fact ryan christie cant stop scoring actually makes him my first pick in the central mid role.

56 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Its a good but very sad point. He was such a mainstay for so long, we need him playing

He must be way down the pecking order now, with McGinn, McTominey (hopefully) playing every week as well as Macgregor playing in europe likely for celtic. Also the fact ryan christie cant stop scoring actually makes him my first pick in the central mid role.

At least we have strong options in central midfield and if he's not playing at all then he has to go down the pecking order.

5 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Mentality and negativity from poor managers. Look at all the call offs at every away trek.

Wales used to be like this. Likes of Bale and Ramsey made their debuts in 2007 so were playing for them for pretty much 10 years before they qualified for anything.

What changed everything was Gary Speed coming in and making camp a fun place to be so call offs stopped overnight and then Coleman continued the process.

You could also argue Southgate has done similar with England set up, loads of England players now say they can't wait to join up for get togethers which is completely different to a decade ago.

Hopefully Clarke can be the one to change the mentality.

Good shout.

Also, what Southgate has done is get the England team to play to their strengths and play the percentages. He knows they are limited, so he does whatever it takes to bridge the gap, which pretty much resulted in them being set piece kings at the previous World Cup.

I like Steve Clarke a lot but I'm not sure how he can knit things together and make us punch above our weight. We have two left backs that I rate, a winger and a central midfielder.

Apart from McToninay, the spine of the team is brittle. We have no top center back, the keeper situation is a mess, our only top central midfielder is McTominay and we are light in the striking department.

I'm not sure Clarke can do all that much.

And John McGinn does OK. In the first half i'd say he got a 7, in the second he got a 4. So he got a solid 5.5 out of 10 from me.

Spurs had about 80% possession in the second half, so pretty much everyone in the Villa team got 4.

Yes CB situation is what it is. I still think there's hope in other areas.

Think Steve Clarke will stick with a formation rather than just chop and change, would go 4-3-3 and stick with it through the qualifying campaign.

Of course there are goalscoring issues but that hasn't stopped either Ireland nation making euro 2016 and making play offs for world cup.

Midfield really needs to step up and chip in with goals. I actually can see McGinn getting double figures for us this season, he was really improving his runs into the box end of last season and already scored this season so over time think he can be credible goal threat from central midfield. Forrest has scored an international hat trick in his career and Christie in incredible scoring form so also players who need to threaten when they start.

6 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Some people seem to think that I glory in shining a torch on our players and that I enjoy telling it like it is.

Some people just can't handle the truth.

The facts are that we haven't qualified for anything for 21 years, and there's nothing to suggest that that'll change. This weekend we've only had what, 3 players starting in the EPL.

McGinn has had a good 45 mins and a well taken goal.

7, with another 2 potentially in Sunday's matches.

59 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Yes CB situation is what it is. I still think there's hope in other areas.

Think Steve Clarke will stick with a formation rather than just chop and change, would go 4-3-3 and stick with it through the qualifying campaign.

Of course there are goalscoring issues but that hasn't stopped either Ireland nation making euro 2016 and making play offs for world cup.

Midfield really needs to step up and chip in with goals. I actually can see McGinn getting double figures for us this season, he was really improving his runs into the box end of last season and already scored this season so over time think he can be credible goal threat from central midfield. Forrest has scored an international hat trick in his career and Christie in incredible scoring form so also players who need to threaten when they start.

In all honestly we're so bereft down the middle that we really have to congest that part of the field. If that means playing eight players down the center (3 in defence, 3 in midfield and 2 strikers) then we should contemplate it.

I don't know what to make of McGinn. He could be useful as a number ten but I wouldn't trust him in midfield.

As for Christie, he has a long way to go to convince me that he's good.

21 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

7, with another 2 potentially in Sunday's matches.

I only counted Robertson, Fraser, McGinn and I missed out on Fleck.

Who are the other three Scotland players who started this weekend in the EPL?

Just remembered. McLean and Hanley.

I really should've said "players worth noting"

That being said, two it is.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

14 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I only counted Robertson, Fraser, McGinn and I missed out on Fleck.

Who are the other three Scotland players who started this weekend in the EPL?

Just remembered. McLean and Hanley.

I really should've said "players worth noting"

That being said, two it is.

You will have to change your mind on mcginn if he keeps up these performances

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Spurs had about 80% possession in the second half, so pretty much everyone in the Villa team got 4.

This statement shows a worrying lack of understanding of professional football. 

Spurs are a MUCH better team than Villa. Hence they were all over them in the second half playing at home. Stopping Spurs from taking the lead for the majority of the game was a gargantuan effort, and Tyrone Mings should have been awarded man of the match for his work! 

To throw a blanket 4/10 on the entire Villa team undermines how good an effort they put in. It would make more sense to give them that score if THEY had 80% possession and still lost. 

3 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

This statement shows a worrying lack of understanding of professional football. 

Spurs are a MUCH better team than Villa. Hence they were all over them in the second half playing at home. Stopping Spurs from taking the lead for the majority of the game was a gargantuan effort, and Tyrone Mings should have been awarded man of the match for his work! 

To throw a blanket 4/10 on the entire Villa team undermines how good an effort they put in. It would make more sense to give them that score if THEY had 80% possession and still lost. 

To be for to me, I did say "pretty much the entire Villa team", I didn't say the " entire Villa team".

And I agree, Mings was a rock and pretty much got a 7 throughout. He isn't Scottish, so, I though it a waste of time to even say that initially.

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

To be for to me, I did say "pretty much the entire Villa team", I didn't say the " entire Villa team".

And I agree, Mings was a rock and pretty much got a 7 throughout. He isn't Scottish, so, I though it a waste of time to even say that initially.

We should be looking into his grandparentage.