Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ppl need a reality check regarding gilmour ,he's not done anything yet in senior football to warrant us getting really excited. We have seen plenty of false dawn's. He should be going out on loan til see what he can do at a meaningful level of football.

Yeah could just be another Feruz. Think he needs a growth spurt like Mctominay, looks a bit small and lightweight atm.

57 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Yeah could just be another Feruz. Think he needs a growth spurt like Mctominay, looks a bit small and lightweight atm.

Have you watched Gilmour closely? He doesn’t need the physical stature of a McTominay or a McGinn-esque arse. The boy plays with his brain..... his touch, balance, awareness and vision as well as his technical abilities are what set him apart.

Feruz’s issues were down to his attitude and the fact he already thought he had made it. 

Edited by SWMM82

32 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

Have you watched Gilmour closely? He doesn’t need the physical stature of a McTominay or a McGinn-esque arse. The boy plays with his brain..... his touch, balance, awareness and vision as well as his technical abilities are what set him apart.

Feruz’s issues were down to his attitude and the fact he already thought he had made it. 

I haven’t seen him play apart from the odd clip, if you had to compare his style to any other players of past would he fit any specific style?

13 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I haven’t seen him play apart from the odd clip, if you had to compare his style to any other players of past would he fit any specific style?

Modric springs to mind. Gilmour can change direction in an instant and ping it to a team mate without a problem. He has touch of the Barry Fergusons in that he’ll get wired in as well as dictate play without ever looking in trouble but he has more of a goal threat in the final third.

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Modric springs to mind. Gilmour can change direction in an instant and ping it to a team mate without a problem. He has touch of the Barry Fergusons in that he’ll get wired in as well as dictate play without ever looking in trouble but he has more of a goal threat in the final third.

The knack of finding space and holding onto possession in tight situations, making the game look easy. Takes set pieces as well. Didn’t want to make comparisons with individual players but Modric is a good shout.....just add in a bit of Iniesta, Xavi and Silva in there as well!haha!

The prospect of a McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour midfield does excite me. All very good technical players with goal scoring capabilities.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Ppl need a reality check regarding gilmour ,he's not done anything yet in senior football to warrant us getting really excited. We have seen plenty of false dawn's. He should be going out on loan til see what he can do at a meaningful level of football.

I understand what you are saying.  We have seen this before but I do think Gilmour is the best prospect I've seen since Darren Fletcher.  

He's just turned 18 but has better or similar under 21 stats to the likes of Mikey Johnston and David Turnbull who have both been called up first team selection on here.  He is 2 years younger than both.

I think Gilmour will get games for Chelsea this season.  It might be in the League Cup but I expect he will get games at some point.  As soon as he does, Steve Clarke should be paying very close attention. 

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

The knack of finding space and holding onto possession in tight situations, making the game look easy. Takes set pieces as well. Didn’t want to make comparisons with individual players but Modric is a good shout.....just add in a bit of Iniesta, Xavi and Silva in there as well!haha!

The prospect of a McTominay, McGregor, Gilmour midfield does excite me. All very good technical players with goal scoring capabilities.

Turnbull, McTominay, Gilmour. 

That's the future of our midfield. 

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Turnbull, McTominay, Gilmour. 

That's the future of our midfield. 

Just can’t see it with Turnbull......Christie and Armstrong ahead of him in the pecking order as well. 

Hope he proves me wrong though.

This is what I'm talking about.

Christie and McGregor might look like Zidane and Xavi against St Johnstone but against a decent team with seasoned players (Cluj) they are just chasing shadows and looking very average. Christie is doing the flicks and tricks that he would get away with in the SPL, but against Cluj he's just losing the ball like an amateur.

Morgan and Forrest aren't doing much, either. 

Bain isn't good enough for international football.

I can't see Celtic progressing.

Quite simply, our players just aren't good enough, both technically and tactically.

45 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Christie and McGregor might look like Zidane and Xavi against St Johnstone but against a decent team with seasoned players (Cluj) they are just chasing shadows and looking very average. Christie is doing the flicks and tricks that he would get away with in the SPL, but against Cluj he's just losing the ball like an amateur.

Quite simply, our players just aren't good enough, both technically and tactically.

You expect Cluj to win at Parkhead? I think I'd put my money on Celtic here. 

31 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

You expect Cluj to win at Parkhead? I think I'd put my money on Celtic here. 

They don't actually have to win A 2:2 draw would see them through.

Off topic...

After the banner that a certain section of the Celtic fans had up during the first match of the season (About everyone trying to "keep them down" -This coming from a team who wins everything and a club who has more money than the rest of Scottish football combined) I want them to get hammered. Their paranoia is verging on insanity.

After this round I hope Aberdeen are the sole Scottish representatives in Europe. Too bad Kilmarnock got knocked out, as it would've been two. 

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

They don't actually have to win A 2:2 draw would see them through.

Off topic...

After the banner that a certain section of the Celtic fans had up during the first match of the season (About everyone trying to "keep them down" -This coming from a team who wins everything and a club who has more money than the rest of Scottish football combined) I want them to get hammered. Their paranoia is verging on insanity.

After this round I hope Aberdeen are the sole Scottish representatives in Europe. Too bad Kilmarnock got knocked out, as it would've been two. 

Be careful pinning your hopes on Aberdeen. Much more likely they will be out and Rangers and Celtic will still be in. Actually, it's impossible for Celtic to go out of Europe in this round of matches. 

2 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Be careful pinning your hopes on Aberdeen. Much more likely they will be out and Rangers and Celtic will still be in. Actually, it's impossible for Celtic to go out of Europe in this round of matches. 

True. By"Celtic going out of Europe" I meant the club going bankrupt and taking Rangers down with them.

:P

5 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Celtic have coasted through the first two rounds of the qualifiers and now that they have drawn away to the champions of Romania suddenly this proves your point that celtics Scottish players are rubbish and that we only in your opinion have four good players. No one has ever said christie, McGregor etc are world beaters, but imo they are good players who under good management should be contributing to our national team and helping us qualify for major tournaments. You don't need a team of players playing for top European clubs to qualify for major tournaments, most countries our size don't have a squad of world class players so expecting us to have that is ludicrous. As I have said before you don't need to be playing for an elite European club to be a good player. You also don't need to be Zidane or xavi til be a good player so comparing Christie and McGregor to them is daft and proves nothing. To qualify for a tournament we need a group of good players who play or are capable of playing at a decent level. Imo forrest, Griffith's, McGregor and Tierney could easily play at epl level and Christie is starting to look like he could as well. This is what we need in our squad to allow us to qualify for tournaments coupled with some genuine top class talent in guys like Robertson and Fraser. Expecting more than this is daft and I find it strange given the last 20 years of failure.

12 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Am sorry but you must’ve been watching a different game from most of us..... McGregor and Christie weren’t at their best but they certainly weren’t “chasing shadows”.

And what else are you expecting from Forrest apart from a vital away goal (great finish by the way) and having their full back on toast most the game???

I do agree about Bain though. The goalkeeping situation concerns me.

Edited by SWMM82