Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

13 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Can't believe how good Christie has become. 

Also, Mikey Johnston is making me look stupid after recently writing him off as not good enough. 

If Christie continues the form he is showing the vultures will be swarming. Some credit must go to Aberdeen for giving him the opportunity to play when he was on loan

Edited by Lairdyfaeinverclyde

Villa beat Leipzig 3-1, McGinn standout;

MCGINN

Went close on a couple of occasions before eventually finding the back of the net with a curling left-footed effort in off the post after relentless work by Trezeguet. Does Grealish's running and goes until the very end. Intrigued to see him on a bigger stage at Tottenham next week. Machine. 8

9 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Good luck fitting mcgregor, Christie, Mctominay and McGinn into the same midfield. Good problem to have Clarke! 

To be honest I feel for McTominay having to carry the rest of the central midfield as the rest of the midfielders you mentioned are average at best. Only McTominay plays (or has the potential) to play for a top 5 side from a top 3 league.

We need to find another top midfielder. We have an overabundance of average ones.

That's the true problem. Well, one of them.

15 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

To be honest I feel for McTominay having to carry the rest of the central midfield as the rest of the midfielders you mentioned are average at best. Only McTominay plays (or has the potential) to play for a top 5 side from a top 3 league.

We need to find another top midfielder. We have an overabundance of average ones.

Why are they average? Because they don't or won't ever play for a top European club like real or Bayern. There's plenty of good players who play for clubs that arent top tier clubs. As I have said before, you have insane expectations for the Scotland team. Expecting to have world class players in every position is just madness and completely unattainable for the foreseeable future. In central midfield we have about 5 epl class players imo. This is a good situation for Clarke to have and will mean we have good cover if one or two gets injured

54 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Christie, McGinn and mcgregor are class like! Happy to have them and they are all at a good age. 

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why are they average? Because they don't or won't ever play for a top European club like real or Bayern. There's plenty of good players who play for clubs that arent top tier clubs. As I have said before, you have insane expectations for the Scotland team. Expecting to have world class players in every position is just madness and completely unattainable for the foreseeable future. In central midfield we have about 5 epl class players imo. This is a good situation for Clarke to have and will mean we have good cover if one or two gets injured

I wouldn't even say that they were good. When a midfield consisting of McGregor, McGinn and Armstrong gets creamed by the Kazakhstan midfield it's time to temper your expectations and question their ability. Hell, Armstrong is struggling to command a starting berth for an average Southampton team.

McGregor and Christie might do well against teams like St Johnstone, etc, but it doesn't really do much for me.

You're mistaking expectations with standards. From this Scotland squad I expect very little. I expect us to beat San Marino, Faroe Islands, Malta, Gibraltar. Every other team I expect us to struggle against. The fact that Georgia is our bogey team says all you have to know.

Take our next three matches, 2 x Russia and once against Belgium. I expect us to get one point, at most.

Now, if you're talking about standards. I have sky high standards.

We'll find out how good McGregor, Christie and the rest of the Celtic players are over the next month or so in the champions league'

Find it very hard to get excited about anything they have done so far considering the opposition.

Credit to St Johnstone for starting nine Scotsmen, but they would probably do better with some journey men English players like Aberdeen and the likes

10 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Good luck fitting mcgregor, Christie, Mctominay and McGinn into the same midfield. Good problem to have Clarke! 

yes, on form players playing regularly. good to see.

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Don't forget Armstrong. 

Also, I think Cairney is a very good player too. 

similarly Armstrong playing well and regularly (his penultimate season at Celtic) would a first choice for me

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

As long as shite players like Bannan and McDonald aren't back anyway.

McDonald I agree. However there is always a place for BB!

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A Kobayashi Maru situation I am afraid

Yep - Tierney playing there is like the Kirk "work around". 

13 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Can't believe how good Christie has become. 

Also, Mikey Johnston is making me look stupid after recently writing him off as not good enough. 

I reckon Christie will get a love to the EPL next season. 

We are not at the stage of getting too excited but it's great to see more of our players playing at a higher level. McLean, mcburnie and McGinn all in the EPL, mctominay looking likely to be a starter at man utd. Robertson at the highest level already.

We just need a few more to make the step up and we could have a relatively good team capable of qualifying 

47 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

We are not at the stage of getting too excited but it's great to see more of our players playing at a higher level. McLean, mcburnie and McGinn all in the EPL, mctominay looking likely to be a starter at man utd. Robertson at the highest level already.

We just need a few more to make the step up and we could have a relatively good team capable of qualifying 

Gilmour will be in there, too. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Ryan Fraser too

5 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Early days however with a bit of luck(players staying injury free) the national side is starting to look as strong as its been for a long time, especially the midfield  

This is a point I was going to make...... no one is suggesting we are on the verge of a “golden generation” of players...... but surely with the squad at our disposal now and coming through in the next few years, we should AT LEAST qualify for something. Worse international squads have qualified for major tournaments in the past. Would help if we had a real talisman, a big game player who can produce big moments. We’ve really missed that.