Scottish players in action 19/20 - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Every Europa league campaign brings a new low of embarrassment, but on the plus side, this one says a lot for the managerial skill of Steve Clarke. 

Still though. Sake Killie! Way to make Scottish football look like an total laughing stock. The fact that our teams have to start at the first qualifying rounds in Europe is totally justified. Absolute mince and tatties, except from the Old Firm ;)

I think it’s nights like tonight when we realise just how poor the general standard of the Scottish league is.

When a player goes to America or Australia to play we assume his international career is over as it’s a lesser standard. Barring Celtic & Rangers, are they!? Doubtful. 

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not even sure about that any more, Rangers are far from convincing and I doubt if there has ever been a worse Celtic team.

You've honestly never heard of Liam Brady and Lou Macari's spells in charge of Celtic during the early 1990s ?

On 7/19/2019 at 7:01 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

You've honestly never heard of Liam Brady and Lou Macari's spells in charge of Celtic during the early 1990s ?

Give you that one. I think it's a bit like the childhood summers that lasted for ever syndrome 

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Seems a bit harsh criticising Rangers after a 10 - 0 aggregate win.

Was basing it more on last seasons league  and comparing them with what I saw as a poor Celtic team.

I suppose if I am wrong about Celtic then that also makes me wrong about Rangers.

Hopefully our three remaining teams will do us proud,

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Give you that one. I think it's a bit like the childhood summers that lasted for ever syndrome 

Was basing it more on last seasons league  and comparing them with what I saw as a poor Celtic team.

I suppose if I am wrong about Celtic then that also makes me wrong about Rangers.

Hopefully our three remaining teams will do us proud,

I expect Rangers to win the league comfortably this season, Aribo looks like a £30M player. Hopefully all teams do well in Europe. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, mrniaboc said:

Still though. Sake Killie! Way to make Scottish football look like an total laughing stock. The fact that our teams have to start at the first qualifying rounds in Europe is totally justified. Absolute mince and tatties, except from the Old Firm ;)

An embarrassing result it was but its doesn't justify our starting position in these tournaments. By our I mean scottish teams.

Aberdeen and rangers could end up playing wolves who've been given a later start despite not playing in europe for 40 years, they get one qualifier because they play in one fo the richest league in the world. 

There should be no seeding till the group stages, actually I'd rather there was no seedlings at all but I'd accept the groups being seeded.

Every team should have a fighting chance to improve their standing in the game and I do mean every team. 

Another fine example. Celti  have actually won their league and the European cup but spurs have won absolutely fuck all since football's were brown and heavier than kris Boyd's gut yet spurs waltz into the groups because they play in a rich league

It's a fecked competition which seems to give smaller nations an even lesser chance of competing every year because the bulk of money in football is funnelled up to the rich leagues.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, mrniaboc said:

Was looking at this weeks games and we are up against teams from Estonia Georgia and Luxembourg. It's getting tougher.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:14 AM, csinclair said:

On another thread several people were bemoaning the quality of the EPL because they get knocked out of the Europa League by minnows. Does this mean the Welsh top division is equal to the SPL then?

Which prem teams get knocked out by minnows, last season Burnley got knocked out in last qualfiers by Olympiakos which is established CL club over last 5-6 years.

Disappointed for likes of Brophy and Greg Taylor they couldn't get a bit of european experience this year for their clubs.

Even in this state SPL should be providing a club outside Old Firm to make europa league group stages ffs, Republic of Ireland have provided TWO in last decade, St Pats in 2011 and Dundalk in 2016.

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

An embarrassing result it was but its doesn't justify our starting position in these tournaments. By our I mean scottish teams.

Aberdeen and rangers could end up playing wolves who've been given a later start despite not playing in europe for 40 years, they get one qualifier because they play in one fo the richest league in the world. 

There should be no seeding till the group stages, actually I'd rather there was no seedlings at all but I'd accept the groups being seeded.

Every team should have a fighting chance to improve their standing in the game and I do mean every team. 

Another fine example. Celti  have actually won their league and the European cup but spurs have won absolutely fuck all since football's were brown and heavier than kris Boyd's gut yet spurs waltz into the groups because they play in a rich league

It's a fecked competition which seems to give smaller nations an even lesser chance of competing every year because the bulk of money in football is funnelled up to the rich leagues.

I do agree with some of your points generally about seeding and the amount of qualifiers you should play but ultimately team that finished 3rd last season shouldn't be losing to Welsh part timers in any round, let's also remember they had a lead to take into second leg at home so even worse in general context of two leg ties.

I have no issue when say Aberdeen get knocked out by Real Sociedad or Burnley as happened in last few years as of course they're big underdogs in that tie.

Wolves are actually playing three qualifiers to qualify for europa league (same as Burnley last season). They're in next week against Crusaders.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

Don't do drugs kids. 

Is it that inconceivable that Rangers could win the league? If they have players like Docherty, Defoe, etc, in reserve then I don't think Celtic will have it their own way this season. The way that they dismantled St Joseph's was impressive. And yes, I know, but sometimes small teams in European competitions can be a banana skin. Just look at Killie. And Aberdeen struggled against Mops or Kops... or whatever their name is.

And in farness, Aribo does look like a special talent. I can see him in the EPL in about 2/3 years.

I'm not saying Rangers will win the league this season, but I am saying that it'll be a lot closer than it has been in recent years.

If Rodgers was still in charge, I'd expect Celtic to win it at a canter again but I just don't think Lennon's as good a manager and they look more susceptible to dropping daft points under him. Don't think Rangers will win it this year but can see the gap closing. Best thing they could do is offload Morelos and find a solid backup for Defoe. 

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Is it that inconceivable that Rangers could win the league? If they have players like Docherty, Defoe, etc, in reserve then I don't think Celtic will have it their own way this season. The way that they dismantled St Joseph's was impressive. And yes, I know, but sometimes small teams in European competitions can be a banana skin. Just look at Killie. And Aberdeen struggled against Mops or Kops... or whatever their name is.

And in farness, Aribo does look like a special talent. I can see him in the EPL in about 2/3 years.

I'm not saying Rangers will win the league this season, but I am saying that it'll be a lot closer than it has been in recent years.

Of course there is a chance but for someone to "expect them to win it comfortably" is mental.

I'd say that we are stronger now than we were when we ended the season. Boyata is a huge loss to us but I'm not sure anyone else that has left so far will be missed too much. We've brought a few in, including a CB that should replace Boyata. We also have Griffiths, Bayo, Arzani, Shved and Morgan coming back into the squad. I expect a couple more will come in before the transfer window closes - hopefully at least 1 right-back. 

Rangers have brought a few in but nobody I'm worried about. They will miss Kent. I think Morelos will move on before the window closes but even with him, I think they are a long way behind Celtic.

Even if you don't rate Lennon as a manager, I've seen nothing to suggest Gerrard is any better. 

Of course the other thing is that if things did look dodgy when the January window opens, we have money sitting in the bank to bring players in - just as we did last season. 

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Rangers have been getting gradually better season on season. I don't think they'll win it this coming season but they're heading in the right direction. Providing they don't go bust again, that is.

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Of course there is a chance but for someone to "expect them to win it comfortably" is mental.

I'd say that we are stronger now than we were when we ended the season. Boyata is a huge loss to us but I'm not sure anyone else that has left so far will be missed too much. We've brought a few in, including a CB that should replace Boyata. We also have Griffiths, Bayo, Arzani, Shved and Morgan coming back into the squad. I expect a couple more will come in before the transfer window closes - hopefully at least 1 right-back. 

Rangers have brought a few in but nobody I'm worried about. They will miss Kent. I think Morelos will move on before the window closes but even with him, I think they are a long way behind Celtic.

Even if you don't rate Lennon as a manager, I've seen nothing to suggest Gerrard is any better. 

Of course the other thing is that if things did look dodgy when the January window opens, we have money sitting in the bank to bring players in - just as we did last season. 

I think it'll be better for all concerned that Celtic have more competition. Seeing Aberdeen struggle in Europe makes me think that they'll get 3rd, with a wide gap between the Old Firm.

But yeah, I agree, "expecting" Rangers to win it is... silly. 

It'll be interesting to watch, though, from an outsider and non Old Firm fan. My only hope is that both teams give as many Scottish players a game as possible.

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Rangers have been getting gradually better season on season. I don't think they'll win it this coming season but they're heading in the right direction. Providing they don't go bust again, that is.

;)