Scottish players in action 19/20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 19/20

SkyBlueScot

19 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

It was a good goal for MJ.

Bain, Brown, McGregor, Christie, Forrest and Johnston all started.

Gordon, Ralston, Morgan and Griffiths on the bench. 

Currently 2-1 up. 

Celtic start six Scotsmen and Rangers start 6 Englishmen and Ryan Jack.

Considering no Tierney or Griffiths in Celtic starting line up I think it says a lot about something just not sure what.

Not a fan of either team but I know which one I want to finish above the other.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Considering no Tierney or Griffiths in Celtic starting line up I think it says a lot about something just not sure what.

We've built our team around Scottish players and it's great as a Scotland fan. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why have you singled out Jack here? McGregor was also playing. 

I do hope Gerrard gives some more Scots a chance as the season progresses. 

52 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Why have you singled out Jack here? McGregor was also playing. 

Probably because McGregor has retired from international duty, therefore, irrelevant to all discussion in the TA section. And because of that, I'd reduce Celtic's Scottish players from 6 to 5 (Scott Brown).

It's nice that Lennon is playing Scots. Hopefully he gives Johnston a chance this season as it could be the making of him.

As for Gerrard, it's obvious that he doesn't rate Scottish players. Growing up I remember Lou Macari loading up the Celtic team with players from down south (Wayne Biggins and Carl Muggleton are written in Scottish folklore) as he didn't rate the talent up here. Gerrard is doing exactly the same thing, and I'm guessing Gerrard will have as much success as Macari had.

When everyone is fit and raring to go at Rangers I expect them to be playing with 10 foreigners and Alan McGregor.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

43 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Probably because McGregor has retired from international duty, therefore, irrelevant to all discussion in the TA section. And because of that, I'd reduce Celtic's Scottish players from 6 to 5 (Scott Brown).

It's nice that Lennon is playing Scots. Hopefully he gives Johnston a chance this season as it could be the making of him.

As for Gerrard, it's obvious that he doesn't rate Scottish players. Growing up I remember Lou Macari loading up the Celtic team with players from down south (Wayne Biggins and Carl Muggleton are written in Scottish folklore) as he didn't rate the talent up here. Gerrard is doing exactly the same thing, and I'm guessing Gerrard will have as much success as Macari had.

When everyone is fit and raring to go at Rangers I expect them to be playing with 10 foreigners and Alan McGregor.

Tbf to Macari, Celtic's finances were getting worse with every month that passed during his time there and he couldn't afford to offer Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc big cash offers for their best players. So he ended up with all those infamous bargain basement signings from the English second tier and washed up former top tier players.

The legendary Carl Muggleton actually had a good clean sheet record at Celtic, a lot of people forget that. He was only ever signed as a back up rather than a first choice.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Tbf to Macari, Celtic's finances were getting worse with every month that passed during his time there and he couldn't afford to offer Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts etc big cash offers for their best players. So he ended up with all those infamous bargain basement signings from the English second tier and washed up former top tier players.

The legendary Carl Muggleton actually had a good clean sheet record at Celtic, a lot of people forget that. He was only ever signed as a back up rather than a first choice.

Seriously? At the time Rangers were rolling in it and buying top players, going toe-to-toe with teams In the European Cup, so when you consider that it's understandable why Celtic fans are enjoying their dominance so much.

Honestly, all I remember about him was his hair. It looked like a bald cap dyed black.

6 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Fraser Hornby and Billy Gilmour are both training with the first team and involved in friendlies. I know it doesn't mean they'll be given game time this season but still positive

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/four-everton-youngsters-stole-limelight-16550391

I'm sure either Lampard or Jody Morris have coached Gilmour in the Chelsea youths at some point so you would like to think this is a good chance for him under those 2. I would think nows the time for first team football whether at Chelsea or on loan.

17 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

There’s s bit of a gap with the Rangers youth players and the first team. The best ones are 19 and under and are very unlikely to feature in a team that has to win the league. I think they’ll win it by 10 clear points.

Johnston’s goal was terrific.  

22 hours ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Mikey Johnston is supposed to have scored a wonder goal to level for Celtic and Jack scored for Rangers.

It's still early in the season but there's little sign Gerrard's giving youth a chance.

Wrong. McPake and Hastie played v Oxford and the former just signed a new contract.

17 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

SG signed Hastie and Stewart and Murphy is just beginning a comeback. He is also on record as saying that McCrorie and McPake are players of the future.

36 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Wrong. McPake and Hastie played v Oxford and the former just signed a new contract.

Well, despite the abrupt response, I hope you're right. You're right about him buying Hastie and Stewart but we'll only know about Gerrard's commitment to Scottish players as this season progresses. Yesterday was the first competitive game and it wasn't packed with Scots.

As noted elsewhere Rangers' impressive youth players are still maybe a bit young but I really hope we see some of the fruits of this soon.

Edited by SkyBlueScot
Spelling

15 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Well, despite the abrupt response, I hope you're right. You're right about him buying Hastie and Stewart but we'll only know about Gerrard's commitment to Scottish players as this season progresses. Yesterday was the first competitive game and it wasn't packed with Scots.

As noted elsewhere Rangers' impressive youth players are still maybe a bit young but I really hope we see some of the fruits of this soon.

Yeah, I  apologise for the 'abrupt' response. No offence. Lewis Mayo, a left-sided centre back also made his debut v Oxford. Another one who is apparently highly rated.

7 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

SG signed Hastie and Stewart and Murphy is just beginning a comeback. He is also on record as saying that McCrorie and McPake are players of the future.

I think Hastie and Middleton will be loaned out. There's also talk of Blackpool making a bid for Murphy.

I suppose we'll see what happens when the league starts. I'll go on the record and say that Rangers won't begin the league campaign with one eligible player. Ryan Jack is probably the only Scottish player with a chance this season.

4 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Billy Gilmour played his first game for Chelsea this evening and seemed to have impressed the fans that watched it. 

I was actually going to say that.

Chelsea being banned from signing a player for the next two transfer window could pave the way for Gilmour being given a chance. I think he'll get about a dozen or so league appearances, mostly from the bench, as well as starting a few cup ties. He still looks rather slight to me. He's training with the first team so I expect that he'll beef up quite a bit by the end of the season.

8 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Billy Gilmour played his first game for Chelsea this evening and seemed to have impressed the fans that watched it. 

He looks to have aged over the last couple of months and filled out a bit. A bit to go yet, but judging by Twitter the fans are very impressed. I wonder if he’ll go on loan or if they’ll wait for him to put on a few more pounds.