Optimistic - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I'd be amazed if it didn't turn out the exact same way as the previous 34 seasons - in fact it's almost 30 years since there was even a genuine challenge at the top.

The Highland League might be exciting now that Cove have left however, fingers crossed anyway. 🙂

7 hours ago, mr mojo risin said:

I'd be amazed if it didn't turn out the exact same way as the previous 34 seasons - in fact it's almost 30 years since there was even a genuine challenge at the top.

The Highland League might be exciting now that Cove have left however, fingers crossed anyway. 🙂

What league, what year, was that last time? 

Edited by exile

11 hours ago, exile said:

What league, what year, was that last time? 

1991 in the Premier League / SPL or whatever it was called at the time. Hearts have thought about it a couple of times since and Aberdeen might have had another chance 3 years ago if we'd had a Goalie in the 2nd half of the season but that's about it.

1 hour ago, mr mojo risin said:

1991 in the Premier League / SPL or whatever it was called at the time. Hearts have thought about it a couple of times since and Aberdeen might have had another chance 3 years ago if we'd had a Goalie in the 2nd half of the season but that's about it.

What about helicopter Sunday and that other one that went to the last game of the season? Were they not close enough for you? 

I can't really say that I share Mr. Hills optimism about the season ahead. I don't know much about the players the huns have signed, they may well improve them but our transfer business thus far has left me cold. Add to that the sheep look as though they have decided to play hoofball next season a la jambo style and I'm not too impressed. 

Who knows maybe the new investment at Hibs will bring something interesting, the new boss at Killie will bring something different and it'll all be fantastic. But I suspect it won't be too long before we're all bemoaning the lack of quality and complaining bitterly about refereeing standards and the appalling governance of the game as per. If it wasn't for 9iar I'm not sure I'd even bother with it this year tbh. 

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

What about helicopter Sunday and that other one that went to the last game of the season? Were they not close enough for you? 

Think they are referring to the idea of someone other than the Old Firm winning the league...

There is this weird relationship between Rangers and Celtic. Their fans hate each other apparently, yet their respective boards seem to have another kind of relationship. One where I would not be surprised if they all secretly met up once a month and had a bumming daisy chain conga around the meeting room for the whole time.

Get the distinct feeling Celtic are laying down for some reason (Lennon WTF?).

Reckon Rangers will either win it or come very close this year. Probably win it. If they get off to a good start and Celtic a bad one they will be very hard to catch... The huns are in so much need of it versus Celtic who are spoiled bastards with 8 in a row in the bank. If Celtic give them a yard and they will be in trouble.

Edited by thplinth

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, thplinth said:

There is this weird relationship between Rangers and Celtic. Their fans hate each other apparently, yet their respective boards seem to have another kind of relationship. One where I would not be surprised if they all secretly met up once a month and had a bumming daisy chain conga around the meeting room for the whole time.

Get the distinct feeling Celtic are laying down for some reason (Lennon WTF?).

Reckon Rangers will either win it or come very close this year. Probably win it. If they get off to a good start and Celtic a bad one they will be very hard to catch... The huns are in so much need of it versus Celtic who are spoiled bastards with 8 in a row in the bank. If Celtic give them a yard and they will be in trouble.

It’s definitely been seen in the past that at boardroom level they are in bed together.

Im not sure if it’s the same but a few years ago virtually all their sponsors were the same. They’ve also had joint shirt deals etc.

Althpugh slashing each other’s allocations was a strange one...

It’s quite easy to get carried away with a few good pre-season results, I’ve done it myself in the past, and must admit been quite excited by our Bet Fred cup performances!

Seems some Rangers fans are no different. #ruthless etc.

Should be #pub team or #meaningless

53 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It’s quite easy to get carried away with a few good pre-season results, I’ve done it myself in the past, and must admit been quite excited by our Bet Fred cup performances!

Seems some Rangers fans are no different. #ruthless etc.

Should be #pub team or #meaningless

Only the delusional think those 2 games meant anything other than we did our job. 

The next round will be the first real game but we should be beating Progres comfortably too. 

On 7/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, Rolling hIlls said:

Anybody think this could be an exciting season? I  positive of better competition this year. So cheer up ! Scotland forever 😀

Well if Scotland manage to qualify for the Euros it absolutely will be remembered as a great season.

2 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Only the delusional think those 2 games meant anything other than we did our job. 

The next round will be the first real game but we should be beating Progres comfortably too. 

Rangers should feel confident about this season since celtic appointed a shaved ape as their full time boss

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Rangers should feel confident about this season since celtic appointed a shaved ape as their full time boss

That's a bit harsh Vanderark. Whilst I agree that he's not as good a manager as Rogers, he's still competent and has far more resources at his disposal. 

I also quite like him. He's a bit marmite but definitely not a shaved ape. 

9 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

That's a bit harsh Vanderark. Whilst I agree that he's not as good a manager as Rogers, he's still competent and has far more resources at his disposal. 

Agree. But I think he has limited ability and has reached his peak. I think most of the Celtic supporters think that too. To me it rings of Scotland appointing mcleish. Hope I am right 😀. But no ape is he. A lot of admiration for him.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If rangers get their act together, gerrard will easily out fox Lennon. Lennon is unstable and he is very lucky to be in the position he is in. I'm sure hibs fans will confirm he is a gump.

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

If rangers get their act together, gerrard will easily out fox Lennon. Lennon is unstable and he is very lucky to be in the position he is in. I'm sure hibs fans will confirm he is a gump.

You may well be right, however Celtic appear to be putting a fair bit of cash about this season possibly based on recouping the majority from the sale of Tierney. 

With any luck all of the newbies will turn out to be expensive duds. 😉

14 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

You may well be right, however Celtic appear to be putting a fair bit of cash about this season possibly based on recouping the majority from the sale of Tierney. 

With any luck all of the newbies will turn out to be expensive duds. 😉

Two predictions from me.

1) Tierney isn't sold at all and spends most if not all of next season out injured.

2) Luca Connell, the £350,000 signing from Bolton, proves to be more useful to Celtic than those other signings they have made. 

15 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Based on Gerrards outstanding career in management to date? He couldn't even outfox McInnes!

9 minutes ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Based on Gerrards outstanding career in management to date? He couldn't even outfox McInnes!

No, my opinion is based on Lennon being unstable and being a shite manager. I thought that would be clear from both my posts.

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

No, my opinion is based on Lennon being unstable and being a shite manager. I thought that would be clear from both my posts.

Suppose so. Seems your opinion of Lennon hasn't half jumped Gerrards ability up a few notches. To each their own I suppose.