Scottish Fitba - players and Managers you grudgingly admired. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Fitba - players and Managers you grudgingly admired.

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

You know the ones, played for your rivals and were so good they continually made your life a misery, and even more annoying, came across as likeable.

Hans Gilhaus

Brian Laudrup

Henrik Larrson

Russell Latapy.

Paul McStay

I'll teach you tae reverse engineer ma thread ya cu......... 

Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Rudi Skácel

Lee McCulloch

Alexei Eremenko

Kevin Thomson

Kenny Shiels

Steven Whittaker

Marius Žaliūkas

Alan McGregor

Madjid Bougherra

Steven Naismith

Pedro Mendes

I used to like Ally McCoist ....... until he started playing upto the fannies in his clubs support with the "we want names" shite.

22 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Snap.

And in terms of banter, Sieb Dijkstra.

I forgot about another van bronckhorst was a class act.

I used to kind of like mccoist but if anyone has heard him on talksport with Alan Brazil, theyd lose all respect for him.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I forgot about another van bronckhorst was a class act.

I used to kind of like mccoist but if anyone has heard him on talksport with Alan Brazil, theyd lose all respect for him.

I always had time for Albertz.

Whilst he was at Celtic, I didn't mind McNamara, and was actually quite pleased when he eventually joined Aberdeen...

1 minute ago, Cove_Sheep said:

I always had time for Albertz.

Whilst he was at Celtic, I didn't mind McNamara, and was actually quite pleased when he eventually joined Aberdeen...

George cadete and van hoijdonk were good too but I was no fan of macnamara

On 7/2/2019 at 7:39 PM, vanderark14 said:

Larsson

And

Laudrup

Ditto on larsson. Also liked Van Dijk. Absolute rolls Royce player and was always destined for bigger things. 

Liked Jim Bett before we signed him too but not afterwards. Never quite was the player we thought. 

Loved watching Di Canio, although sometimes it was for his behaviour and sometimes his skill. 

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Georgi Nemzadse

Russel Latapy

Kevin McAllister

Rudi Skacel

Kjell Oloffson

David Fernandez

Don't remember Oloffson but I do the rest and have to agree, although I can see Hibs fans rejecting Skacel. 😁

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Don't remember Oloffson but I do the rest and have to agree, although I can see Hibs fans rejecting Skacel. 😁

It’s way too easy to list ex Celtic or Rangers players as the money they can throw at talent is phenomenal compared to the rest. So, these are the players that have stood out for me at smaller clubs. Obviously, I know Latapy and Fernandez went to the Weeg but I’m going on what they did at Falkirk, Hibs, Airdrie and Livvy. 

3 hours ago, WCTA said:

It’s way too easy to list ex Celtic or Rangers players as the money they can throw at talent is phenomenal compared to the rest. So, these are the players that have stood out for me at smaller clubs. Obviously, I know Latapy and Fernandez went to the Weeg but I’m going on what they did at Falkirk, Hibs, Airdrie and Livvy. 

Who was Oloffson? I have no memory of him at all. The rest I do and totally agree with. 

Id also throw in Frank Sauzee to the mix. 

10 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Who was Oloffson? I have no memory of him at all. The rest I do and totally agree with. 

Swedish striker with DUFC between 96 to 99. Scored quite a few goals for them.

I had to look him up, I also had no memory of him.

30 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

One of the best foreign strikers to grace our game in the 90s. Guy was outstanding.

20 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Swedish striker with DUFC between 96 to 99. Scored quite a few goals for them.

I had to look him up, I also had no memory of him.

Thanks. Looks like a decent player. Beginning to think I may need rebooted as I appear to have a significant memory leak. 🤔

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

Olofsson was a good striker, despite playing for the dabs. They had a few Scandinavian players at that time, I think Pedersen was the best of the lot, he used to mark Laudrup out of games, one of those simple but very effective players.

Aye, Olofsson and Zetterlund (Swedes) were signed the same week as Pedersen (Norwegian) by Tommy McLean in 96/97. Pedersen became a total cult hero for his pre and post match shenanigans with the Arabs 👍🏼

On 9/25/2019 at 11:49 PM, McTeeko said:

Aye, Olofsson and Zetterlund (Swedes) were signed the same week as Pedersen (Norwegian) by Tommy McLean in 96/97. Pedersen became a total cult hero for his pre and post match shenanigans with the Arabs 👍🏼

Unfortunately they were diamonds in a sea of turds during the mad 90s period where must clubs signed a shite load of foreign muck for fortunes in a pathetic attempt to keep up with the free spending and tax dodging Huns. In hindsight, a terrible time for the club and to be honest, Scottish Football.