2020 Olympics - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2020 Olympics

Arbroath1320

I tend to feel that the whole threat to the independent FA’s is probably overstated. In terms of any perceived risk, you can make the argument very black and white and say the SFA should either block or have nothing to do with it. 

As it stands, we seem to be in a middle ground. There’s no real appetite for GB men’s football - that’s good! The WC and Euros are rightly recognised as the pinnacle of the National game. When it comes to the Women’s game, the perspective is slightly different. They seem to hold the Olympics in high regard as a competition. Fair enough and good luck to them I would say. Putting yourself in their shoes I don’t think it’s fair to criticise them. The opportunity to win a gold medal at an Olympics is a remarkable thing and immediately brings thoughts of the company you would be joining from over the decades of history.

I tend to get behind the Team GB fan fare the same as I would The Lions or Team Europe at the Ryder Cup. That may be contradictory in someone’s politics but I like sport.

On another note, if Scotland were independent and had a limited representation across the Olympic sports, I reckon that there would be a fair interest if we had a mens & women’s football team as a focal point of our Olympics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Team GB knocked out the Olympics football. I know it's reported on another thread but no harm ensuring the demise of their ignoble, even illegitimate campaign is noted here for the record. 

2 hours ago, AlfieMoon said:

Fucking sad days if anyone wants to give a couple of Scottish lassies a hard time for representing GB at an Olympics. 

If they could not represent Scotland at a high level in their sport, I'd forgive them.   These lassies have over 200 caps between then, so no need to patronise them.   They know what they are doing.

57 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

If they could not represent Scotland at a high level in their sport, I'd forgive them.   These lassies have over 200 caps between then, so no need to patronise them.   They know what they are doing.

And, like it or not, they are also British - and they have a wholly legitimate opportunity to represent GB in the Olympics.  

If it was my daughter I would be proud as punch! A chance to win one of those medals and put yourself alongside Usain Bolt, Jesse Owens, Jess Ennis-Hill, Chris Hoy, Michael Phelps, Max Whitlock, Simone Biles. 

The SFA and associations had an opportunity to sort this out. If they didn’t then there’s nothing to deny these girls their opportunity. If the SFA had decided to give them an ultimatum then that could have decided the matter for better or worse. The fact is, they didn’t. 

When the girls get picked to turn out for Scotland again they will proudly do their best as always for their country - which they’ve done over 200 times as you have stated.  

It’s not for fans to police the situation by bullying players for not aligning with your demands. 

People really need to be a bit more human. 

Edited by AlfieMoon

No one is bullying anyone.  But we all have a right to decide who we support, and who we don't. 

To say it would be lovely for a daughter or son to have an Olympic medal is a red herring; you may as well say you should emigrate and bring them up in a bigger country that's more likely to win a medal. 

And it's not to do with being British or not. If there was a EU team, you could decide to oppose it on footballing grounds, even if you were European, a EU citizen and loving the EU politically: you could still resist the formation of an EU team.

No GB team for the men, no problem with the Women having one.

Like has been said I view GB like the B&I Lions or the Ryder Cup. 

I’m not having a love in with the UJ flag and GSTQ. But I like to see British athletes do well. 

When Scotland gets Independence I’ll be proud as punch supporting our Olympic team. Will still support the Lions and the Europe Ryder Cup team. 

J

On 8/1/2021 at 11:27 PM, AlfieMoon said:

And, like it or not, they are also British - and they have a wholly legitimate opportunity to represent GB in the Olympics.  

If it was my daughter I would be proud as punch! A chance to win one of those medals and put yourself alongside Usain Bolt, Jesse Owens, Jess Ennis-Hill, Chris Hoy, Michael Phelps, Max Whitlock, Simone Biles. 

The SFA and associations had an opportunity to sort this out. If they didn’t then there’s nothing to deny these girls their opportunity. If the SFA had decided to give them an ultimatum then that could have decided the matter for better or worse. The fact is, they didn’t. 

When the girls get picked to turn out for Scotland again they will proudly do their best as always for their country - which they’ve done over 200 times as you have stated.  

It’s not for fans to police the situation by bullying players for not aligning with your demands. 

People really need to be a bit more human. 

Agree. We can allow emotion sometimes to over-ride our better judgment.