2020 Olympics - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2020 Olympics

Arbroath1320

Scotland is and always has been a footballing nation, our existence defined international football. We are UEFA and FIFA members.

The Olympics comes along and refuses to recognise us, then changes its own rules to allow professionals. We should have no part in the Olympics, and if there was any solidarity, neither should England, UEFA or FIFA. 

The direction of travel is clear. Women's football will only get stronger, the appeal of the Olympics will only get stronger. The threat of the normalisation of Team GB will only get stronger. In time, a separate "team Scotland" will be seen as the anomaly, a cute historical curiosity, like the Commonwealth Games.

The normalisation of Team GB has already happened. Remember it was seen as a sort of weird monstrous exhibition match, now it slips into casual TV interview chat and not even questionsed, Neville can talk about his lionesses in one breath and Team GB the next, as if it's the most normal thing in the world.

Remember those who said, don't be paranoid, don't worry, it's only a one-off for 2012. 

1 hour ago, Bzzzz said:

Scottish NOT British.

Not having a go, but it's this type of general attitude that kept people voting "Yes" in the referendum.

We're in the union, therefore, we're British. It's fact. Hopefully we get to the point were we want to be Scottish in an independent Scotland.

42 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Not having a go, but it's this type of general attitude that kept people voting "Yes" in the referendum.

We're in the union, therefore, we're British. It's fact. Hopefully we get to the point were we want to be Scottish in an independent Scotland.

No such thing as "British" in fitba. We should resist this pish as much as we support our national teams. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, Arbroath1320 said:

"Team GB will be England-led" - Gary Neville.

Do these people understand that Great Britain was supposedly created in 1707 as a voluntary union of equal nations?

1801/1921 if you want to include NI in the equation tho too ? (with respect to olympic terminology)

27 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Wasn't that an England amateur team in all but name though?

cut n paste from wikipedia . -reference from a book though so not sure of validity

The composition of the team has varied over time. All players in the 1908, 1912, 1920 and 1956 squads were English, while in other years players from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales were all included

also mention of matt busby as 1948 team manager.........

• 1 year later...

I hope they lose all three games and the Scots stink the tournament out. 

Yes that sounds bitter etc,but there shouldn't be a team GB football team for one thing and Scotland for another ; it should be one team either GB or Scotland.

Can't go from going wild for Italy to then supporting 'England plus a few Jocks' three days later. The BBC will be a boakfest at the Olympics.

Edited by weekevie04

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

I hope they lose all three games and the Scots stink the tournament out. 

Yes that sounds bitter etc,but there shouldn't be a team GB football team for one thing and Scotland for another ; it should be one team either GB or Scotland.

Can't go from going wild for Italy to then supporting 'England plus a few Jocks' three days later. The BBC will be a boakfest at the Olympics.

It's a total farce. I was pretty appalled at the squad selection in 2012(?). No Scots or Northern Irish. And only 3 Welsh, if I remember correctly. (For the mens team)

I mean, all they needed was 1 token Scot & 1 NI to maybe get a 2 min cameo in injury time and they might have had some backing.

Fyi, I'm fully against a team GB, but I know some people in Scotland were extremely disappointed.  It was blatant that it was Team England, plus some additional help. They focused only on short term success, but that basically consigned the team to death for all future Olympics.

Past experience of the men's game tells us that no one playing their football in Scotland would ever get picked; the GB team would, in reality, be an English team in which the English players were topped up by players from the Celtic fringe who also happened to be playing in England. It's a disaster for the Scottish league whose clubs have not been properly supported by the SFA.

Little and Weir are just being used. It's an FA vanity project designed to help their boakworthy 'Lionesses' and the token jocks and taff are there just to cover this up.

We were lied to when the English FA and Olympic Association said the 2012 teams were a one-off.

I will still go and support the women's team but I'd be quite happy if Little and Weir were left out.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Little and Weir are just being used. It's an FA vanity project designed to help their boakworthy 'Lionesses' and the token jocks and taff are there just to cover this up.

Absolutely this, the team is England in a different strip with a couple of token squad members. Even the whole backroom staff are part of the FA setup. All designed around helping the English team prepare for the next Euros.

Alan Campbell was bang on with this article when the squad was announced...

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/19338237.alan-campbell-scottish-fa-others-taken-mugs-team-gb/

Edited by Toepoke

If a Scottish footballer was eligible to play for another national side, I might wish 'goodbye and good luck' to them, as a courtesy, but after that, I would not 'follow' them (any more than any other player from any other country), I would not support them or their team, and I would not expect them to be eligible to play for Scotland again.