Life after Death - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Life after Death

On 7/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, Jersey Jim said:

That must have been a nice change for you and the hubby being in Italy at stupid ‘o’ clock not having to carry a drunken comatose chap back to his hotel 👀

This is more my level of conversation. 

Yes Jim, it was. And I am pretty certain all  the futons in  Italy heaved a sigh of relief too 🙂

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I doubt I am intelligent enough for a conversation this deep but I agree,  ‘God’ talk is an unhelpful diversion when considering where we are from and what happens when we die.

I feel religions  have been used, as someone else said, as a method of control.  I wouldn't rule out them out completely as I don't know if there is a God or higher being but I am highly sceptical.

The big bang holds more weight with me because science has proven so accurate in other areas . But there have been a lot of mistakes too and the universe is a huge unknown,  how do we know they haven't made a mistake on the biggest unknown of all. 

So could both religion and science be wrong? On the specific subject of ‘is there life after death?’ . I find it interesting that some cells in your body continue to live for days, weeks even months after you die.  In fact some work harder than when you are alive. This is a reasonably recent discovery.  If this activity exists after death then who is to say something else isn’t going on that scientists have not yet discovered. 

I have to be honest though and say that it is unlikely there is life after death but I am probably a bit more open minded than I was. 

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence. Life after death (if it means anything at all) is unknown and arguably unknowable. So, a leap of faith. Or work it out for yourself, as Brian (as in the Life of Brian) might have said. 

I mean I don't think anyone needs to defer to anyone else on this matter, whether to the authority of science or religion. But if there is new evidence, let's hear it. 

21 hours ago, exile said:

I don't think it's a matter of intelligence. Life after death (if it means anything at all) is unknown and arguably unknowable. So, a leap of faith. Or work it out for yourself, as Brian (as in the Life of Brian) might have said. 

I mean I don't think anyone needs to defer to anyone else on this matter, whether to the authority of science or religion. But if there is new evidence, let's hear it. 

I didn't phrase it very well.   What I mean is I am a bit lazy when it comes to looking at things differently , I am not particularly imaginative and can contribute very little to discussions on subjects shroud in mystery . 

There’s not much to challenge religion or the big bang at the moment but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any other ideas.

Just imagine, the true meaning of life discovered on the TAMB. I would need to buy a new frock. 

5 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I didn't phrase it very well.   What I mean is I am a bit lazy when it comes to looking at things differently , I am not particularly imaginative and can contribute very little to discussions on subjects shroud in mystery . 

There’s not much to challenge religion or the big bang at the moment but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has any other ideas.

Just imagine, the true meaning of life discovered on the TAMB. I would need to buy a new frock. 

Wasn't that another film? Not to mention the answer could be 42. Or (being the TAMB) 4-6-0. Or 3 at the back.