Scotland gave the world fitba! TRUE HISTORY - HELP required! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland gave the world fitba! TRUE HISTORY - HELP required!

Bzzzz

Awright bawbags, thought this might interest yeez... 

DID YOU KNOW...

• There have been 3 Hampdens?
  • The first Hampden was the first purpose built football stadium IN THE WORLD!? 
  • It too belonged to Queen's Park FC!?
  • The first Scottish Cup Final's were played there? 
  • This is where the "Scots Professors" invented the modern passing game of fitba that has spread across the world and is watched and played by 3.5bn people today!?!??!?
  • Everytime you head into Mt Florida on the train you pass and probably actually look over the site of our first home? 

A lot of history there and not a lot of people know about it! 

There's a group of folk VERY keen to change that and in a super cool way! click on the link below and have a read.

https://hampdencollection.net/1sthampdenmural/

Graeme, Ged and the guys at The Hampden Collection are working hard to raise just £5k to promote and celebrate that fantastic history in the way of the mural which I think you'll agree looks cool as and will look magic once in place! 
They're almost there, over £2k so far so let's get involved and get them there!!! 

The guys will be on Off The Ball on Saturday to chat about this and a few other very relevant topics so tune in! they're a great bunch and if we get the donations going we might even get a wee plug !!! 

Spread the word, get involved, DONATE!!! even if it's a couple of £s one less pint is worth it surely!!! 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/1sthampdenmural

So next time when England are singing "it's coming home" you can remind them... if it WERE "coming home" it'd be heading to the South side of Glasgow! GIRFUY ;)

Whilst it's clearly a good move for us to own Hampden, I think it's a crying shame that Queens Park are being turfed out, would like to have seen them given permanent residency in light of their contribution to Scottish fitba... ie inventing it! 

40 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Whilst it's clearly a good move for us to own Hampden, I think it's a crying shame that Queens Park are being turfed out, would like to have seen them given permanent residency in light of their contribution to Scottish fitba... ie inventing it! 

They'll be resident at a refurbished lesser Hampden which is a ground more befitting their stature in the game.

An amateur club with an average attendance of 600 who play in league 2 have absolutely no need for a 52,000 capacity stadium. Not that I had a problem with them playing there as they did technically own the stadium but they'll probably get on better at lesser Hampden anyway as their home matches will no longer feel like they're playing on the moon.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

They'll be resident at a refurbished lesser Hampden which is a ground more befitting their stature in the game.

An amateur club with an average attendance of 600 who play in league 2 have absolutely no need for a 52,000 capacity stadium. Not that I had a problem with them playing there as they did technically own the stadium but they'll probably get on better at lesser Hampden anyway as their home matches will no longer feel like they're playing on the moon.

True, aye, it's a shame tho. 

King James I (the real King James I, that is, not King James VI & I who is constantly called James I by the British media) banned football in 1424. Not enough people were practising archery or swordsmanship - how was the king going to fight a war with England? Football was banned by royal decree and then by an Act of the Scottish Parliament; this has never been repealed.

There’s a statement up in the Pittodrie corridor that says

”The first written evidence of a game where the ball is passed from player to player to score goals appears in a book from Aberdeen dated 1633”

No idea how true that is though. 

Edited by dandydunn

10 hours ago, dandydunn said:

There’s a statement up in the Pittodrie corridor that says

”The first written evidence of a game where the ball is passed from player to player to score goals appears in a book from Aberdeen dated 1633”

No idea how true that is though. 

The book must have an author and a title. A copy may still exist, in the National Archives. Bear in mind that a game called "football" is older than 1633 so what you are talking here is the technique of passing the ball - of which, I think, the Scots were the pioneers . In England, for example., the technique was "backing up." In other words, a player ran with the ball until he lost it at which point the player "backing up" took over.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, Cove_Sheep said:

The other guys text about his neighbours getting him lifted over a bomb was better :lol:

My other text was much more amusing but they didn't read it out... for some reason... !

Quick update, the mural crowdfunding is going well, almost at £3k now, need a big push to get to the target! spread the word far and wide ! it would be a fantastic addition to the view in to Hampden, remember if we do qualify there's a good chance we might have the English up here for a visit... and you know how much we love to get it up them... 

• 3 weeks later...