Another Quiz - Plenty of Evidence This Time! - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Quiz - Plenty of Evidence This Time!

daviebee

1 hour ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

Were the 4 Scotland managers involved Roxburgh, mcleish, strachan and Levein, meaning we’re looking at 1990-92?

Half right on the managers.  If your scenario was true there would've been 5 Scotland managers involved.

11 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Would a McAllister - Strachan game be a possibility at all?

No. When Strachan was captain at Leeds, McAllister wasn't captain of Scotland. By the time McAllister WAS captain of Scotland, Strachan was finished at international level.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Did McNarmara and Lambert ever cross over?

No. McNamara only captained us once - v the Netherlands in the 2004 play-off. Paul Lambert didn't play.

Lambert was Scotland captain between 99 and 2003, but McNamara wasn't Celtic captain until 04/05.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

No. McNamara only captained us once - v the Netherlands in the 2004 play-off. Paul Lambert didn't play.

Lambert was Scotland captain between 99 and 2003, but McNamara wasn't Celtic captain until 04/05.

I know it won't help but did McNamara captain Celtic against Rangers in the first game after the draw in the Faroes or did I imagine that.

14 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know it won't help but did McNamara captain Celtic against Rangers in the first game after the draw in the Faroes or did I imagine that.

Sorry, I've no idea.  He might have if the club captain was out for any reason but I wouldn't have a clue.

5 minutes ago, Willie Miller's tache said:

The 5th being Steve Clarke?

But only half right on the managers.....

Thinking it must be another mcleish / miller match near the end of miller’s playing days.

Nah - totally wrong.  Think "If Roxburgh was involved..."

15 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Sorry, I've no idea.  He might have if the club captain was out for any reason but I wouldn't have a clue.

My memory was that Vogts didn't pick him as he had been on the bench for Celtic and that he captained Celtic in their first game after that. Having checked they didn't play Rangers the week after that so my memory is just as reliable as ever unless it was some other game.

Just now, daviebee said:

Nah. Go back to the managers hint further up. I honestly thought that'd be a giveaway.

That's how I came up with that actually as Aitken captained the team in games McStay had played in under Roxburgh.

I've actually been trawling through Roxburgh's games on the national team archive on the SFA website.

Looking at the Luxembourg one that was mentioned as one of the answers earlier, surely that is probably a worse result than the recent defeat in Kazakhstan?

22 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

That's how I came up with that actually as Aitken captained the team in games McStay had played in under Roxburgh.

I've actually been trawling through Roxburgh's games on the national team archive on the SFA website.

Looking at the Luxembourg one that was mentioned as one of the answers earlier, surely that is probably a worse result than the recent defeat in Kazakhstan?

I suppose given the team we had out you could argue that.  Bloody freezing as well, must've been -10C with a wind chill on top!

Nothing jumped out at you from these games?

10 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Are you going for Leighton - McLeish?

I don't know if that's right.  I'm guessing not as it didn't register with me at the time the way the other ones did.  I specifically remember McLeish on his 50th cap with Miller in the side but nothing similar about Leighton.  Not to say I'm 100% right though.

10 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I don't know if that's right.  I'm guessing not as it didn't register with me at the time the way the other ones did.  I specifically remember McLeish on his 50th cap with Miller in the side but nothing similar about Leighton.  Not to say I'm 100% right though.

There is a game with Leighton captain and McLeish playing, but, although he was pretty much finished, Miller hadn't actually retired from football at that point.