Another Quiz - Plenty of Evidence This Time! - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Another Quiz - Plenty of Evidence This Time!

daviebee

48 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

1983 v England . Souness captain of Scotland . Was Phil Neal Liverpool captain at this time ? 

No, Souness was Liverpool captain.

Don't take the "same match" bit too much into consideration.  They weren't always in different teams.

13 minutes ago, daviebee said:

No, Souness was Liverpool captain.

Don't take the "same match" bit too much into consideration.  They weren't always in different teams.

Too late to edit...

There was a Liverpool connection in one of the games I'm aware of.

9 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Too late to edit...

There was a Liverpool connection in one of the games I'm aware of.

I’m sure Souness was Liverpool captain in 1981/82 so I assume all 3 games at the 82 World Cup would count as Alan Hansen and Souness played in them all. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m sure Souness was Liverpool captain in 1981/82 so I assume all 3 games at the 82 World Cup would count as Alan Hansen and Souness played in them all. 

No none of these would count.  Question was...

Name the games where Scotland have been captained by a player whose club captain has been playing in the same match.

McGrain was captain for the New Zealand match and then Souness (who was also Liverpool captain) for the next 2 against Brazil and Russia.  There should be 2 different players in the same match - one was captaining Scotland and the other was that guy's captain at club level.

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

No none of these would count.  Question was...

Name the games where Scotland have been captained by a player whose club captain has been playing in the same match.

McGrain was captain for the New Zealand match and then Souness (who was also Liverpool captain) for the next 2 against Brazil and Russia.  There should be 2 different players in the same match - one was captaining Scotland and the other was that guy's captain at club level.

I actually did read the question properly. Just totally made an arse of it after coming back to it later. 😂

26 minutes ago, daviebee said:

You had me re-reading it several times masel.  :lol: 

Something at the back of my mind is saying Paul Lambert captained Scotland when his Celtic captain Tom Boyd was also playing but I could be talking absolute bollocks. I can’t remember the game anyway. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Something at the back of my mind is saying Paul Lambert captained Scotland when his Celtic captain Tom Boyd was also playing but I could be talking absolute bollocks. I can’t remember the game anyway. 

You're right - well done.  Brussels 2001.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Did Dalglish or Souness captain Scotland in the 70s when Emlyn Hughes captained England?

No.

4 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Or somehow, McLeish or Strachan captained Scotland ( 50th cap maybe? ) when Willie Miller was playing?

Correct - McLeish was captain on the occasion of his 50th appearance v Luxembourg in 1987.

2 of mine down, 3 to go.  One had a Liverpool connection and one of the others was relatively recently.

6 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Did Dalglish or Souness captain Scotland in the 70s when Emlyn Hughes captained England?

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

No.

That actually works with Phil Thompson.  Dalglish captained Scotland at Wembley in 1979 by which time Thompson had taken over from Hughes as Liverpool captain and played for England that day.

FFS must be hundreds of these things!

33 minutes ago, Stewart_Aberdeen said:

Scott McKenna was captain in Mexico while Shinnie was playing as well.

Correct.  Leaves 2 games that I remember (and attended, so it's not some pre-war thing!).  No doubt there'll be more from what we've seen here.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

That actually works with Phil Thompson.  Dalglish captained Scotland at Wembley in 1979 by which time Thompson had taken over from Hughes as Liverpool captain and played for England that day.

FFS must be hundreds of these things!

Was going to say Thompson but had no idea he played that often for England. Or that Dalglish captained Scotland against England. fountain of knowledge this site.    😃

1986 Scotland v Romania, 3-0 to us.

Dalglish captained us on the occasion of his 100th cap.  Liverpool captain Alan Hansen came on at half-time.

One to go.  Come on, folks - 4 Scotland managers were involved in the game that night.

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

1986 Scotland v Romania, 3-0 to us.

Dalglish captained us on the occasion of his 100th cap.  Liverpool captain Alan Hansen came on at half-time.

One to go.  Come on, folks - 4 Scotland managers were involved in the game that night.

Were the 4 Scotland managers involved Roxburgh, mcleish, strachan and Levein, meaning we’re looking at 1990-92?