West Brom blacklist Celtic (Oli Burke) - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

West Brom blacklist Celtic (Oli Burke)

andyD

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I really don’t understand the appointment of Lennon. He’s got a few screws loose and he’s nowhere near the level of Rodgers, I doubt Celtic were ever getting a name like Rodgers but surely they’d get better than Lennon.

based on Lennon being bat shit nuts, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was an incident between him and Burke but none of us will ever know what happened. From a Scotland point of view I’d rather the young Scottish players at Celtic and current internationals were learning from a better manager. 

I heard a story about Lennon at Hibs from a very good source.  I won't mention the player by name but after a game Lennon went mental at a player for his performance, then went on to accuse him of being a bad influence in the dressing room.  He probably picked on the wrong player as this was an experienced pro who'd been around the block and couldn't be intimidated.  There followed a stand up row which resulted in Lennon coming out with the "you're finished with this club, you'll never play for me again".   The player started the next game.   The players at Hibs had no time for him.

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

I really don’t understand the appointment of Lennon. He’s got a few screws loose and he’s nowhere near the level of Rodgers, I doubt Celtic were ever getting a name like Rodgers but surely they’d get better than Lennon.

based on Lennon being bat shit nuts, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was an incident between him and Burke but none of us will ever know what happened. From a Scotland point of view I’d rather the young Scottish players at Celtic and current internationals were learning from a better manager. 

Most Celtic fans feel the same way.  It feels like the cheap and lazy option.

When Lennon came in all the loan players were pushed out.  Benkovic, Toljan, Weah and Burke all seemed to get less game time after Lennon came in.  I understand trying to play/develop your own players before those from other clubs but we've used loans a lot recently and we've had a few bad experiences now which could result in clubs avoiding us when looking to loan out their players.  

Teirney, Forrest, McGregor, Forrest, Christie and Griffiths all improved under Rodgers.  He is a huge loss to the club and the players we have.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I heard a story about Lennon at Hibs from a very good source.  I won't mention the player by name but after a game Lennon went mental at a player for his performance, then went on to accuse him of being a bad influence in the dressing room.  He probably picked on the wrong player as this was an experienced pro who'd been around the block and couldn't be intimidated.  There followed a stand up row which resulted in Lennon coming out with the "you're finished with this club, you'll never play for me again".   The player started the next game.   The players at Hibs had no time for him.

I've heard similar.  It is common knowledge that Lennon allowed players to do what they wanted when he was in charge last time and Deila was very vocal in talking about how unfit the players were when he took over from Lennon.

I expect we are still far enough ahead of the rest that we can win trophies without a top manager but IMO, it's not a risk worth taking.  

On 6/25/2019 at 4:45 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

Burke never got a game mainly due to the fact he's utter pish.

Headless chicken.

Pretty good header for a headless chicken to help us win our last game.

Never liked this headless chicken phrase, but I would say the Eamonn Brophy was like a a rabbit caught in a car's headlights that night.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty good header for a headless chicken to help us win our last game.

Never liked this headless chicken phrase, but I would say the Eamonn Brophy was like a a rabbit caught in a car's headlights that night.

Fair point but we actually lost our last game 3-0. :lol:

Burke's header against Cyprus also missed the target although it was a decent follow up. 

I think he's a decent player who just needs to get his attitude right. There's something not right about him and I just can't put my finger on it (and neither can the coaches/managers he has worked under who obviously saw potential in him or they wouldn't have bought him).

• 2 weeks later...

In the course of time Burke has proved that he was mainly hype, hype accorded mainly due to his undoubted physical attributes . From the first time I seen him in the under 21’s tgere has been very little evidence of actual footballing ability. His touch is nothing short of embarrassing. I still remember the absolute outrage on here when Strachan left him on the bench  and I think also dropped him for the second leg of a double header and being branded an idiot for doing so. 

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

In the course of time Burke has proved that he was mainly hype, hype accorded mainly due to his undoubted physical attributes . From the first time I seen him in the under 21’s tgere has been very little evidence of actual footballing ability. His touch is nothing short of embarrassing. I still remember the absolute outrage on here when Strachan left him on the bench  and I think also dropped him for the second leg of a double header and being branded an idiot for doing so. 

His touch was most definitely not embarrassing against Cyprus. :lol:

The outrage was justified. Strachan did to Burke what Levein did to McFadden. Strachan publicly heaped up a lot of pressure on Burke and when he didn't deliver then made him a scapegoat. That is shocking management of a young player.

53 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

His touch was most definitely not embarrassing against Cyprus. :lol:

The outrage was justified. Strachan did to Burke what Levein did to McFadden. Strachan publicly heaped up a lot of pressure on Burke and when he didn't deliver then made him a scapegoat. That is shocking management of a young player.

Any footballer should be capable of scoring from there, not sure that really dispels the no technique criticism. 

The alternative view was that Strachan as manager judged his performance and presumably, what he’d seen in training and decided he wasn’t what was required.  It felt to me that Strachan started him because there was so much clamour for Burke (due to him being fast and expensive) he had to play him. He did, he was awful and he got rightly hooked. Whatever you think of GS, he had that right as the manager.

Faddy was a proven and established player so I don’t agree with the comparison.

ive never rated Burke and have always been confident in my opinion on him, however I was very interested that Rodgers was glowing in his appraisal of him, that made me think he’s worth persevering with. You’ve just got to think he’s got to be working on improving his touch, even a slight improvement makes him a force to be reckoned with. 

26 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Any footballer should be capable of scoring from there, not sure that really dispels the no technique criticism. 

The alternative view was that Strachan as manager judged his performance and presumably, what he’d seen in training and decided he wasn’t what was required.  It felt to me that Strachan started him because there was so much clamour for Burke (due to him being fast and expensive) he had to play him. He did, he was awful and he got rightly hooked. Whatever you think of GS, he had that right as the manager.

Faddy was a proven and established player so I don’t agree with the comparison.

ive never rated Burke and have always been confident in my opinion on him, however I was very interested that Rodgers was glowing in his appraisal of him, that made me think he’s worth persevering with. You’ve just got to think he’s got to be working on improving his touch, even a slight improvement makes him a force to be reckoned with. 

Why do I suspect that Burke's English accent and upbringing probably has significantly more to do with your dislike of him rather than his playing ability ?

Just now, ErsatzThistle said:

Why do I suspect that Burke's English accent and upbringing probably has significantly more to do with your dislike of him rather than his playing ability ?

You would be incorrect and I don’t dislike him, I just think he’s, until now, unjustified hype. 

Do you think he’s a good footballer?

17 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

You would be incorrect and I don’t dislike him, I just think he’s, until now, unjustified hype. 

Do you think he’s a good footballer?

Aye, he's amazing. Best footballer we've ever produced.

It's fashionable to criticize Burke.

What he needs is a full season of being a first team regular. When you think of it, Burke has never had a "breakthrough season", as twice he's been bought as a project.

He needs matches under his belt and a manager who trusts him. Hopefully Bilic is that manager, if not, hopefully WBA either sell him or loan him out for a season, even to a league 1 side.

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It's fashionable to criticize Burke.

What he needs is a full season of being a first team regular. When you think of it, Burke has never had a "breakthrough season", as twice he's been bought as a project.

He needs matches under his belt and a manager who trusts him. Hopefully Bilic is that manager, if not, hopefully WBA either sell him or loan him out for a season, even to a league 1 side.

Nothing to do with fashionability. Opinion on a footballer is all. Agreed he needs games, although he got some with Celtic and flattered to deceive for the most part.

12 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Nothing to do with fashionability. Opinion on a footballer is all. Agreed he needs games, although he got some with Celtic and flattered to deceive for the most part.

According to Wikipedia (as reliable as they are) Burke has played less than 100 matches. As a 22yo this isn't ideal. 

The reason that I refuse to criticise him is because none of us have ever seen him play on a consistent basis. Is this his fault? No. He didn't ask to be bought and left to rot on the bench.

Hopefully Bilic is the manager who can show faith in him.

Before Celtic he had only started 19 league games in total for his previous clubs combined. Two of them were during a month loan to Bradford City in League one, who also had him unused on the bench twice during that months loan.

Basically just about all Burke has done is command two massive transfer fees on the back of four brilliant performances as a teenager for Forest in the championship.

A bit like Gauld this is make or break time. 

8 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

According to Wikipedia (as reliable as they are) Burke has played less than 100 matches. As a 22yo this isn't ideal. 

The reason that I refuse to criticise him is because none of us have ever seen him play on a consistent basis. Is this his fault? No. He didn't ask to be bought and left to rot on the bench.

Hopefully Bilic is the manager who can show faith in him.