West Brom blacklist Celtic (Oli Burke) - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

West Brom blacklist Celtic (Oli Burke)

andyD

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/west-brom-hit-out-at-neil-lennon-over-celtic-s-treatment-of-oliver-burke-1-4953409

Weird one.
West Brom technical director:
“Oli Burke will not be going anywhere near Celtic with the current manager,

They (Celtic) will know what went on. Oli obviously knows what happened. It is a mutual decision that he will never return to Celtic.

We sent Oli to Celtic in good faith with Brendan Rodgers and (head of recruitment) Lee Congerton – really good people up there. They wanted Oli and I am sure they would have made him a better player.

Once Brendan left to go to Leicester, the treatment he got from the manager in place – well, subsequently we do not expect any of our players to go anywhere near Celtic Football Club."

So seemingly Lennon mishandled him Burke in some way.
It's noticeable that in the league Burke scored 4 in 7 prior to Lennon's arrival, but 0 in 7 following.
I know Celtic fans weren't impressed with Burke's latter performances, so maybe there's a reason why.

Either way, it seems Burke will not be returning, but hopefully will be starting for West Brom under Bilic given that there's a bit of a revamp going on there. With Rondon and Rodriguez both likely to be moving on, could he end up starting up top for them?

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Rodgers may have devoted more "one on one" time with Burke on the training ground and pushed him harder to become a better player.

Lennon training it has been alleged is awful and his players are never completely fit.

It's not Celtic's responsibility to develop a £15m footballer. 

West Brom are clearly trying some damage limitation to try and punt the useless cunt. Doesn't look good to a potential buyer if he wasn't good enough for the farmers league.

Don't know if Lennon's training is shite or not but he was totally in the right not to play him much 

38 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

West Brom are clearly trying some damage limitation to try and punt the useless cunt. Doesn't look good to a potential buyer if he wasn't good enough for the farmers league.

Don't know if Lennon's training is shite or not but he was totally in the right not to play him much 

If Lennon didn't rate him then the common sense thing to do would be to tell West Brom that they are cancelling the loan.

Why Celtic didn't do that is odd.

22 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If Lennon didn't rate him then the common sense thing to do would be to tell West Brom that they are cancelling the loan.

Why Celtic didn't do that is odd.

Because we had no forwards?

I still quite like Burke but wouldn't be paying anywhere near £15m for him. 

I can't imagine Celtic were even trying to get him back on loan so think it was a bizarre thing for the man at West Brom to be coming out with. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Rodgers may have devoted more "one on one" time with Burke on the training ground and pushed him harder to become a better player.

Lennon training it has been alleged is awful and his players are never completely fit.

Can't imagine it's just to do with less 1 on 1 time.

Was there maybe an agreement over playing time?
Prior to Lennon coming in Burke played in every game and started most of them.
Once Lennon arrived Burke didn't even play in half the matches and only started 2.

Maybe there was a gentlemans agreement from Rodgers to give him game time, which Lennon didn't honour?

Celtic are denying any wrongdoing (obviously they would) so we don’t really know what’s went on or what bollocks Burke has potentially told WBA to justify his not being able to get a game for Celtic ahead of a 19 year old towards the end of the season.

Lennon is a bellend on the other hand so him mismanaging Burke wouldn’t surprise me at all. 

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Can't imagine it's just to do with less 1 on 1 time.

Was there maybe an agreement over playing time?
Prior to Lennon coming in Burke played in every game and started most of them.
Once Lennon arrived Burke didn't even play in half the matches and only started 2.

Maybe there was a gentlemans agreement from Rodgers to give him game time, which Lennon didn't honour?

Maybe but surely WBA wouldn’t have expected Lennon to honour something that Rodgers agreed?

If they wanted guaranteed game time they should have put it in the loan agreement contract rather than just having a gentleman’s agreement. 

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Promote someone from the youth team perhaps ?

Who was scoring goals for Celtic's youth team last season and could have been given a chance for one or two games ?

It's worth remembering that when we brought him in we were level on points with rangers, still in Europe and only had 1 forward available who is still a young player himself.

Getting in Burke and Weah was important to winning the treble. They played a lot more than 1 or 2 games. 

I'm not sure we would have won the treble if we'd had to bring in a youth forward.

Edited by PASTA Mick

As much I am a fan of Burke's, west brom are talking shit. Burke got plenty chance at Celtic and did well initially under Rodgers. He didn't play well under Lennon and didn't deserve to start games. He got more starts at Celtic than he ever got at West brom but he didn't perform well enough to warrant Celtic shelling out the kind of money that west brom want. Unless there's some particular incident they are referring then they should just accept Burke's loan spell never worked out as well as hoped.

20 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

It kind of is though. That’s what the loan system is all about.  The parent club gets the benefit of having a young prospect get experience that will hopefully make them a better player when they go back to them.  The club who the loan player goes to gets the benefit of having a player they’d not normally be able to get in the open transfer market. 

13 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Unless there's some particular incident they are referring then they should just accept Burke's loan spell never worked out as well as hoped.

It seems fairly obvious that there was something specific they're talking about.

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think these loans deals should be abolished. 

They should certainly be looked at.

Young players getting game time in lower leagues is probably a good thing.

Man City sending almost 40 players out on loan to teams across the globe doesn't seem right to me.

Thing is, the loan spell wasn't that bad for burke, it started off well with Burke getting plenty of games under Rodgers. What were wba expecting, he wasn't getting a game for them in the championship so why would he go to Celtic who are a better team and expect to start every game. He got more starts at Celtic in a month than he has at wba.

Edited by mccaughey85

54 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thing is, the loan spell wasn't that bad for burke, it started off well with Burke getting plenty of games under Rodgers. What were wba expecting, he wasn't getting a game for them in the championship so why would he go to Celtic who are a better team and expect to start every game. He got more starts at Celtic in a month than he has at wba.

If Celtic are a better team then why do they feel the need to take loan players from WBA?

2 hours ago, aaid said:

If Celtic are a better team then why do they feel the need to take loan players from WBA?

Because we found ourself short in 1 position due to selling Dembele and Griffiths being unavailable. 

I don't think we'd take Burke now. 

Why are people saying that West Brom are wrong? Wrong about what? They didn't say anything. It was all fairly ambiguous. People are just guessing that West Brom were talking about that Burke being dropped, but if you read the quotes they sound rather sinister. With the following quotes, I highly doubt it's about Burke not playing enough minutes. Maybe Lennon just completely blanked Burke, maybe he made him train with the youths. 

“Once Brendan left to go to Leicester the treatment he got from the manager that’s in place now is something we don’t expect from one of our players.

“He won’t be going anywhere near Celtic Football Club. They know what’s gone on and Oli certainly knows what’s gone on. It’s just something we’re not happy with at all."

I really don’t understand the appointment of Lennon. He’s got a few screws loose and he’s nowhere near the level of Rodgers, I doubt Celtic were ever getting a name like Rodgers but surely they’d get better than Lennon.

based on Lennon being bat shit nuts, it wouldn’t surprise me if there was an incident between him and Burke but none of us will ever know what happened. From a Scotland point of view I’d rather the young Scottish players at Celtic and current internationals were learning from a better manager. 

Edited by vanderark14