Ryanair Baggage - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I’ve flown Ryanair a couple of trips over the last few years. They publish bag dimensions on their website but nobody checks too hard & as long as it looks near enough & fits in the overhead, nobody will (probably anyway) take issue. 

Most airlines are a bit strict about the one bag policy though. My wife was pulled by Jet2 at Alicante for having a handbag & they made her put it in the case. 

Obviously liquid rules apply as per. 

I know they get a bad press but to be honest I’ve only had good experiences with them, including once letting me on 10 minutes after the gate was supposed to have closed. Not that I’d recommend trying that!

Priority & 2 Cabin Bags
Passengers who have purchased "Priority & 2 Cabin Bags" or Plus/Flexi ticket or connecting flight ticket can bring 1 small cabin bag which must fit under the seat in front of you (40cm x 20cm x 25cm). Priority customers can also bring an additional 10kg bag on board which must fit into the baggage sizer (not exceeding 10kg and dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and will be stored in the overhead locker.

Duty free bags are also permitted in the cabin along with your cabin baggage.

47 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve flown Ryanair a couple of trips over the last few years. They publish bag dimensions on their website but nobody checks too hard & as long as it looks near enough & fits in the overhead, nobody will (probably anyway) take issue. 

Most airlines are a bit strict about the one bag policy though. My wife was pulled by Jet2 at Alicante for having a handbag & they made her put it in the case. 

Obviously liquid rules apply as per. 

I know they get a bad press but to be honest I’ve only had good experiences with them, including once letting me on 10 minutes after the gate was supposed to have closed. Not that I’d recommend trying that!

Aye they changed it at end of last year though, used to be okay but now you need to buy speedy boarding?

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye they changed it at end of last year though, used to be okay but now you need to buy speedy boarding?

I’ve not seen that to be honest & it sounds bloody complicated. But if you book a normal flight with normal requests & take one bag for the overhead as per normal, have you fallen foul of anything?

If in doubt, I’d call their customer service & ask. I reckon all that waffle is just designed to con you into buying extras but I might be wrong!

Have you gone through the booking process to see what it asks you for? 

26 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Speedy boarding is an Easyjet thing. 

Basically Ryan Air will only allow you to carry on one small item which should fit under the seat in front (check their website for dimensions). If you want to bring a regular carry on trolley case or bag that goes in the overhead bin then you have to buy the 'Priority + 2'. If you're going away for a longer holiday then you have to go for the 'checked bag' option which is for bigger luggage that won't fit in the cabin. This is more expensive however if you're travelling in a group or a family then perhaps only one or two will need to pay for the checked bag. 

Edited by Saint4805

17 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve not seen that to be honest & it sounds bloody complicated. But if you book a normal flight with normal requests & take one bag for the overhead as per normal, have you fallen foul of anything?

If in doubt, I’d call their customer service & ask. I reckon all that waffle is just designed to con you into buying extras but I might be wrong!

Have you gone through the booking process to see what it asks you for? 

nah, not booked yet.

To further complicate things I'm flying out to Prague with Easyjet but flying home from Bratislava with Ryanair!

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

What's the script with hand baggage now?

Last time I flew with them around March your wee rucksack is guaranteed regardless, if it’s not busy or your close you might be luck with a wheelie otherwise you’ll check it in the hold at the gate

You can pay an extra £10 to check an 8kg(?) wheelie in the hold plus your rucksack

Or pay for priority and get a hold suitcase with a wheelie and rucksack on board but this almost double the ticket cost

Edited by UpTheSlope

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

nah, not booked yet.

To further complicate things I'm flying out to Prague with Easyjet but flying home from Bratislava with Ryanair!

What I meant was go through the booking process but stop short of paying. I tend to do that to check out all the hidden charges, & get a decent comparison. 

When I think about it, it was EasyJet not Jet2 that made my wife pack up her handbag. We didn’t have a problem outbound (Glasgow to Alicante) but did on the return. 

If you’re in a car & have time to get off the beaten track & take a (very) long detour from Prague to Bratislava, go through the Sumava National Park. It’s a really beautiful part of the world. 

I'd definitely recommend trying to book an actual flight. By the time you get to book it, they may have run out of the cheapest tickets and so you have to end up with a so-called "priority" ticket anyway. But "priority" is a relative term - it may simply mean you get to board first, but you probably still have to queue for it, as more and more people take that option. I would not guarantee it would be "speedy". 

It's quite funny though when some jumped up priority passenger struts up to the gate thinking they are for once the privileged few and discovers a mess of what looks like two long grumpy straggly queues and says "but where is the priority queue?" and get pointed to the back of one of the long queues. 

I travel often with Ryanair and Mrs and I do individual bookings. She pays extra £10 for priority therefore  can take a small case on board. I carry a small bag which fits under the seat at no extra cost. Remember if you want to sit together probably about £8 to £12 each way to book seat. Good airline to travel with once you have navigated extra charges.

Certainly were strict when it was first introduced, but noticed of late its becoming somewhat "relaxed" but not to the point they will let you away with it if the flight is packed.

First time I used it was actually for a Ryanair Edinburgh - Bratislava flight, and the girl checking bags before we could board the flight was certainly letting nothing go (but the flight was full to be honest).

23 hours ago, teecee- said:

I travel often with Ryanair and Mrs and I do individual bookings. She pays extra £10 for priority therefore  can take a small case on board. I carry a small bag which fits under the seat at no extra cost. Remember if you want to sit together probably about £8 to £12 each way to book seat. Good airline to travel with once you have navigated extra charges.

I am in Valencia just now with my husband, flew with Ryanair. Had to make  2 separate  bookings also as we are here for a week and needed a hold suitcase. If I had booked us together would have had to pay for 2 hold suitcases. I just couldn't find a way of booking us together and only taking one hold suitcase. I may just have misunderstood the system right enough. I ended up on a priority booking my husband on normal. He then decided he wanted to sit next to me and paid a bit extra . Would probably have been as cheap just booking 2 cases 🙄

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I am in Valencia just now with my husband, flew with Ryanair. Had to make  2 separate  bookings also as we are here for a week and needed a hold suitcase. If I had booked us together would have had to pay for 2 hold suitcases. I just couldn't find a way of booking us together and only taking one hold suitcase. I may just have misunderstood the system right enough. I ended up on a priority booking my husband on normal. He then decided he wanted to sit next to me and paid a bit extra . Would probably have been as cheap just booking 2 cases 🙄

It must be fairly straight forward. We had one checked bag between us going to Bologna. If I can manage to do it it must be pretty simple. When it comes up as two bags, can you not just change the "2" to a "1". Can't remember, but it must have been pretty easy if it didn't even register in my brain. 

On 6/26/2019 at 3:06 PM, Orraloon said:

It must be fairly straight forward. We had one checked bag between us going to Bologna. If I can manage to do it it must be pretty simple. When it comes up as two bags, can you not just change the "2" to a "1". Can't remember, but it must have been pretty easy if it didn't even register in my brain. 

🙄 exactly how thick do you think I am? *

The problem was I wanted to take a small case onto the plane as well as a large one in the hold. If you take a small case on you need to book priority ticket, but you cant book a standard ticket and a priority ticket on the same booking. I didn't realise this at the time and the system kept trying to book me 2 ‘on board ‘ cases and 2 hold cases . The website was pretty unstable, jumping all over the place and crashed twice. I got a young technical guy at work to check if I was doing something wrong but he couldn't work it out either. 

Like Teecee says, I think if you know the booking system in advance you will be fine, but I think it is ridiculous that if 2 people are travelling together and one wants to take a small case on you have to make 2 separate bookings . Then, if you want to sit together,  pay for the non priority booking to get allocated seating and then try and book your seats together.  

All that said, I am now back from Valencia and the actual flights were fine. Would recommend Valencia too.  

* Rhetorical question. Please do not reply. 

13 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Cheers lads.

I booked the priority that allows you a 10kg bag as hand luggage.

Can't really compare we were £92 each for Edinburgh-Prague then Bratislava-Edinburgh so can't complain.

I think i'll be putting some of her stuff in my bag though!

Make sure and stick within the size restrictions they provide for the bag everyone is allowed onboard. A girl in front of us had a small rucksack and they made her put it it the compartments they have for checking the size of your bag. She was ok but would have been charged if it didn't fit in. 

As an aside, I  generally feel budget airlines are a bit more lax in the overseas airports than in the UK but the Valencia staff were strict. Our hold case was over 20 kilos on the way out and nothing was said,  but on the way back they made us empty items from the large case and cram it into the small one and my handbag to redistribute the weight. 

Thankfully all the dirty knickers were in my husbands rucksack which I had measured 3 times as a precaution 🙂

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Make sure and stick within the size restrictions they provide for the bag everyone is allowed onboard. A girl in front of us had a small rucksack and they made her put it it the compartments they have for checking the size of your bag. She was ok but would have been charged if it didn't fit in. 

As an aside, I  generally feel budget airlines are a bit more lax in the overseas airports than in the UK but the Valencia staff were strict. Our hold case was over 20 kilos on the way out and nothing was said,  but on the way back they made us empty items from the large case and cram it into the small one and my handbag to redistribute the weight. 

Thankfully all the dirty knickers were in my husbands rucksack which I had measured 3 times as a precaution 🙂

Oddly, my experience was the reverse. I flew EasyJet from Glasgow & found their staff to be relatively happy to let minor things go (my wife's handbag, as mentioned above mainly). Coming back, their Alicante staff were very rigid & made us take things out to meet weight limits, put the handbag in the main case, etc.

On a separate note, I've had a trip planned for a while, Leeds - Alicante with Jet2. In the last few months, I've officially become classified as disabled & need bits of help to get around. I have to say, Jet 2 (& the airport) have been incredibly helpful as I've had to update & modify the booking. Their special assistance team pretty much told me to tell them what I wanted (including if I wanted one of their team to push me around Duty Free or any of the shops or bars), when & they'd sort it if they could - which they have done. I occasionally use a wheelchair; they took 5 minutes on the phone to get it booked free onto the flight, organised someone to get me onto the plane & so on...they've pretty much nailed my custom for the foreseeable future (not that I'm saying others wouldn't do the same).

Flew back from Charleroi to Edinburgh with Ryanair, it was €6 for "Priority Boarding" which allows you to take a 55x40x20 cm bag into the cabin plus a small handbag sized one which must fit under the seat.

I've put "Priority Boarding" in quotes because about two thirds of the passengers on the (full) flight had it meaning that the "Priority " queue was about twice as long as the standard boarding!

39 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Oddly, my experience was the reverse. I flew EasyJet from Glasgow & found their staff to be relatively happy to let minor things go (my wife's handbag, as mentioned above mainly). Coming back, their Alicante staff were very rigid & made us take things out to meet weight limits, put the handbag in the main case, etc.

On a separate note, I've had a trip planned for a while, Leeds - Alicante with Jet2. In the last few months, I've officially become classified as disabled & need bits of help to get around. I have to say, Jet 2 (& the airport) have been incredibly helpful as I've had to update & modify the booking. Their special assistance team pretty much told me to tell them what I wanted (including if I wanted one of their team to push me around Duty Free or any of the shops or bars), when & they'd sort it if they could - which they have done. I occasionally use a wheelchair; they took 5 minutes on the phone to get it booked free onto the flight, organised someone to get me onto the plane & so on...they've pretty much nailed my custom for the foreseeable future (not that I'm saying others wouldn't do the same).

I think EasyJet has changed their baggage allowances fairly recently as I was caught out at Bristol airport a month ago. Previously I was always able to take a small case AND a handbag on but this time they would only let me have one piece and as you mentioned you have to try and fit the handbag in your case. I was mad cause i was in Bristol for 4 days with work and they had booked the flights, my wee case was jam packed there was no way of fitting the handbag in . The girl was a Rottweiler, but I was adamant I wasnt paying 50 quid to put my hand bag in. Thankfully I had a coat with pockets so i just took everything out the handbag and stuffed them into the pockets and carried my purse and phone in my hand.   I then managed to cram the empty handbag in the case. It is bloody ridiculous, whilst I was waiting in the queue  to get on the plane I just took the handbag out the case and put everything back in it, nobody bothered. What made it worse was there was a woman with THREE bags and they didnt ask her to get everything into 1 case. I asked her if she had paid more to get  extra luggage and she said she hadnt. 

Re Jet 2, yes I have used them a few times and are very good. Much better than Thomas Cook IMO. They also give you 22 kilo allowance 🙄

My sister was travelling to Turkey with them a month ago, my 6 yr old nephew is quite a nervous wee boy and had never been on a plane before. Jet 2 allowed my sister and the rest of the party ( she was travelling with a friend and her older son) to get through fast pass security and onto the plane first . I think the pilot also spoke to him, he is obsessed with cars, engines etc so it was quite exciting for him. I was very impressed by this. 

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think EasyJet has changed their baggage allowances fairly recently as I was caught out at Bristol airport a month ago. Previously I was always able to take a small case AND a handbag on but this time they would only let me have one piece and as you mentioned you have to try and fit the handbag in your case. I was mad cause i was in Bristol for 4 days with work and they had booked the flights, my wee case was jam packed there was no way of fitting the handbag in . The girl was a Rottweiler, but I was adamant I wasnt paying 50 quid to put my hand bag in. Thankfully I had a coat with pockets so i just took everything out the handbag and stuffed them into the pockets and carried my purse and phone in my hand.   I then managed to cram the empty handbag in the case. It is bloody ridiculous, whilst I was waiting in the queue  to get on the plane I just took the handbag out the case and put everything back in it, nobody bothered. What made it worse was there was a woman with THREE bags and they didnt ask her to get everything into 1 case. I asked her if she had paid more to get  extra luggage and she said she hadnt. 

Re Jet 2, yes I have used them a few times and are very good. Much better than Thomas Cook IMO. They also give you 22 kilo allowance 🙄

My sister was travelling to Turkey with them a month ago, my 6 yr old nephew is quite a nervous wee boy and had never been on a plane before. Jet 2 allowed my sister and the rest of the party ( she was travelling with a friend and her older son) to get through fast pass security and onto the plane first . I think the pilot also spoke to him, he is obsessed with cars, engines etc so it was quite exciting for him. I was very impressed by this. 

That's a nice story. I might see if I can get something similar for my son. He's coming with us & a really nervous flyer.

He's 24, 6' 2", & probably won't want to sit on the captain's knee, but if you don't ask...

Someone in the queue last time mentioned that they always got around the '2 bag' issue by buying something from duty free & just chucking their handbag in the plastic bag if they couldn't be bothered packing & then unpacking it. Reckoned no-one ever checked!

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

That's a nice story. I might see if I can get something similar for my son. He's coming with us & a really nervous flyer.

He's 24, 6' 2", & probably won't want to sit on the captain's knee, but if you don't ask...

Someone in the queue last time mentioned that they always got around the '2 bag' issue by buying something from duty free & just chucking their handbag in the plastic bag if they couldn't be bothered packing & then unpacking it. Reckoned no-one ever checked!

😂

Funny you should mention the duty free bag, thats exactly what I did in Valencia as my handbag was brimming over with all the stuff I had to take out the large case because it was too heavy. I put my hairdryer and straightness in the duty free bag instead. I then thought to myself , that is a good way round the hand bag issue, I would rather spend 20 quid on a bottle of gin than give the airline another 50 quid. Infact I might really piss them off and drink it on the flight 🙂