Nation League play off games during March 2020 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nation League play off games during March 2020

CAT

It’s my understanding that we’ll play Finland at home during March 2020 for a play off final place. The other semi-final is currently Norway v Serbia. All teams are subject to change, if any of the 4 qualify automatically from their current group.

If Scotland qualify for the final and a chance of a Euro 2020 final place, home advantage for that final will be determined by the toss of a coin after the 2 finalists are confirmed. This would give us a few days to organise flights and accommodation, if we won the semi-final and then got drawn away.

Have I interpreted the information correctly?

Cat

2 minutes ago, CAT said:

It’s my understanding that we’ll play Finland at home during March 2020 for a play off final place. The other semi-final is currently Norway v Serbia. All teams are subject to change, if any of the 4 qualify automatically from their current group.

If Scotland qualify for the final and a chance of a Euro 2020 final place, home advantage for that final will be determined by the toss of a coin after the 2 finalists are confirmed. This would give us a few days to organise flights and accommodation, if we won the semi-final and then got drawn away.

Have I interpreted the information correctly?

Cat

No. 

There will be a draw made before the semi final to decide which semi final winner has home advantage for the final. If our semi is the unlucky one we are still, as you say, in the boat of having a couple of days to organise transport at very least. But we will know ahead of the semi if we have to do it, not after it.

It’s not the Nations League playoffs, it’s the playoffs for Euro 2020.  The 2018/19 Nations League is finished. The final positions of the Nations League will determine who enters the playoffs but apart from that the games in March have nothing to do with the Nations League.

Finland are looking pretty good to qualify from their group and Serbia have an outside chance. So do Scotland if we beat Russia in September and take something in Moscow. 

2 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

No. 

There will be a draw made before the semi final to decide which semi final winner has home advantage for the final. If our semi is the unlucky one we are still, as you say, in the boat of having a couple of days to organise transport at very least. But we will know ahead of the semi if we have to do it, not after it.

The play off draw is due to be made on 22nd November 2019.

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

No. 

It’s a bit of a shambles in all honesty but it was the only way they could do it to give all group winners a playoff. 

I suppose they could have limited the playoffs to the top two teams in each league that didn't qualify outright and had the playoffs over two legs. We’d still have made the playoffs this time if they did this but I suppose more teams would have lost interest in the NL sooner when it became clear they wouldn’t be in the top 2. 

Let’s just hope we get lucky in the draw then we won’t need to worry about travel if we win the first game. 

Once the four teams are known in November I'd have liked to have seen a draw so that one of the four participants hosts the semis and final. That way there would be no panic for getting to the destination for the final.

it does potentially surrender home advantage for the two top seeds, of which we'd be one.

7 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Once the four teams are known in November I'd have liked to have seen a draw so that one of the four participants hosts the semis and final. That way there would be no panic for getting to the destination for the final.

it does potentially surrender home advantage for the two top seeds, of which we'd be one.

You could end up with Serbia and Norway or whoever playing in front of a couple of thousand people at Hampden so I understand why they’ve done it this way. The playoffs featuring teams from league D would be even worse. 

I suppose the only people that will be disadvantaged will be the away fans in the four playoff finals. UEFA would prefer this to empty grounds. 

43 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

1st December.   What happens 

It will be a simple process if only one host country is involved in each playoff semi final but it could get complicated if there’s more than one.

They will make the draw as normal with 4 of the balls having ‘Playoff 1 winner’, ‘Playoff 2 winner’ etc. in them instead of a country. 

Whoever wins the corresponding playoff will go into the group that ball was drawn into. 

Fairly simple really. Well it would be if it wasn’t for the fact there are so many hosts for this tournament. 

For example the winners of the playoff we are involved in would need to be drawn into group D as that is the group that will be hosted by Glasgow and Wembley. If there is another host in our playoff then they can’t be drawn into Group D. Romania, for example, will need to play in group C if they qualify.

If the playoffs complicate matters then there will need to be a partial re-draw in March when the 4 playoff winners are known.

28 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

So 1st December we’ll know what group we are in should we make the Euros??

We already know what group we'll be in if we qualify as Hampden and Wembley are grouped together in Group D. Assuming England qualify then we know we'll have England in our group but we won't find out the other two teams until the draw is made. 

We definitely won't have any other host in our group though so we know we won't have Azerbaijan, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, ROI, Romania, Russia or Spain in our group if we make it.

1 minute ago, bonny78 said:

So we’ll play England in June 2020 in our group assuming we qualify via the play offs?

Someone else if we come 1st or 2nd from the group.

Are you on the wind up as per usual?

We will play England regardless of how we qualify. As long as England also qualify of course.

30 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you on the wind up as per usual?

We will play England regardless of how we qualify. As long as England also qualify of course.

wasn't on the wind up.

Didn't realise we play England if we get there.  

cool