Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question

daviebee

3 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Charming.

I only want you to provide a source (which you are struggling to do).

It's you who's making the claim, so it's up to you to prove it. What you should have done is found a source and confirmed it before you opened the thread.

You have indeed made a complete arse of this.

Aye I'll give you that, I should've.  Thing is, I know it to be the case and I thought it was a reasonably famous incident so I thought it would be a simple case of going to Google and confirming it.  I was a bit surprised when I couldn't find anything and that other "parameter" was thrown into the equation!  :lol:  

I do apologise for wasting your and the TAMB's time.  As soon as I hear back from the club I'll post the evidence.

6 minutes ago, JECK said:

So we'd apparently like to kiss one of his feet in particular. Sounds like a left pegger who scored a beezer in an important match ?

Two-footed.

2 minutes ago, JECK said:

I was half thinking this could be a bit of an average player called up sparingly in between manager reigns hence amassed a 6 year career but only featured in a small number of games

Wrong.

1 minute ago, JECK said:

Or is it John Robertson of Nottingham forest? 

Spot on - well done!  :)

Called up to an England squad in the 70's - I'm awaiting confirmation of details from the club.  What I don't know is if it was as part of Revie's initial squad of current and potential players in 1974.  The problem with that of course is that Forest were nearer the bottom of Division 2 than the top at the time and Robertson was on the transfer list and didn't come to prominence until Clough arrived in 1975.

Of course it maybe happened later as a result of Clough messing with Revie!  :lol: 

24 minutes ago, JECK said:

Ha, I am the lord of the bus said he 😂

I think it was John Greig who, when asked what he thought Trevor Francis was saying to Joe Corrigan, said - "Well, Joe... we're gonnae lose 1-0!"

Scored THAT penalty with his right foot just like the winner in the 1980 EC final.  Not bad for a left-winger.  He must've been sheer hell on earth to try and mark for a defender!

27 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I'd be astonished if that's true, what was his eligibility? 

None, it was a mistake, simple as that.  They'd no idea he was Scottish.  Forest weren't then what they were to become so their players weren't exactly household names.

9 minutes ago, daviebee said:

None, it was a mistake, simple as that.  They'd no idea he was Scottish.  Forest weren't then what they were to become so their players weren't exactly household names.

He had a scottish accent so not exactly hard to work out 

There was a young guy at Millwall whose name escapes me right now, maybe Charlie something or other, who was called up to the England schoolboy squad and was then promptly "uncalled up".   The eligiblity rules meant he could play for England schoolboys as he was schooled in England - in the same way as Ryan Giggs did - but as born in Glasgow, moved to London as a young child, both parents and sets of grandparents were Scottish couldn't represent England beyond that.  This was before they introduced the "5 year schooling" rule,

He was one of those young players that people were raving about but for whatever reason never kicked on.  Think he may have played for our ^21s though. 

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

There was a young guy at Millwall whose name escapes me right now, maybe Charlie something or other, who was called up to the England schoolboy squad and was then promptly "uncalled up".   The eligiblity rules meant he could play for England schoolboys as he was schooled in England - in the same way as Ryan Giggs did - but as born in Glasgow, moved to London as a young child, both parents and sets of grandparents were Scottish couldn't represent England beyond that.  This was before they introduced the "5 year schooling" rule,

He was one of those young players that people were raving about but for whatever reason never kicked on.  Think he may have played for our ^21s though. 

Peter Sweeney