Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question

daviebee

59 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When the answer is eventually revealed, would you please provide a source for it ?  A book, webpage or newspaper article will do.

Aye, I would like to see that too. I think all the possible eligibles have been covered already? I'm just shouting out names now.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, I would like to see that too. I think all the possible eligibles have been covered already? I'm just shouting out names now.

6 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

When the answer is eventually revealed, would you please provide a source for it ?  A book, webpage or newspaper article will do.

It was quite a bit pre-Internet so the web isn't returning anything on my searches, probably cos it was one of those "blink and you'll miss it" things.  I don't have exact dates that squads were named either so won't be wading through newspaper archives as I don't have time.

I've contacted the player's club to see if they maybe have a historian who can give me exact details, but I did find someone else online quite out of the blue who remembers it happening.  I appreciate that won't be enough though so maybe best we park this one for now until I hear back.  :)

7 minutes ago, daviebee said:

It was quite a bit pre-Internet so the web isn't returning anything on my searches, probably cos it was one of those "blink and you'll miss it" things.  I don't have exact dates that squads were named either so won't be wading through newspaper archives as I don't have time.

I've contacted the player's club to see if they maybe have a historian who can give me exact details, but I did find someone else online quite out of the blue who remembers it happening.  I appreciate that won't be enough though so maybe best we park this one for now until I hear back.  :)

So there is a chance that this may actually be bullshit then ?

16 hours ago, daviebee said:

No, I just can't provide proof at the moment that would satisfy the likes of yourself.  :)

Or you could just tell us who it is and we could argue about for a while. Or, it could be one of them light bulb moments where we all go " Oh aye, never thought about him".

17 hours ago, daviebee said:

Starting to think this will date back to 1872, and the first official international. Pretty sure most of our team pre 1872 where born in England with Scottish links. 

27 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Not the answer but I learned that James Beattie was in the 1989 under 18 world cup squad , whi went on to have 5 England caps. 

What tournament was that again ? Beattie would have been 11 years old in 1989.

He was eligible for Scotland ?

47 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Starting to think this will date back to 1872, and the first official international. Pretty sure most of our team pre 1872 where born in England with Scottish links. 

The entire XI from the original 1872 game with England were Scots born. Although several of them ended up immigrating and died abroad.

In subsequent years. Only one or two such as Arthur Kinnaird were English born. Then there was Eadie Fraser who was born in Canada and Andrew Watson (the world first black international footballer) who was born in what is now Guyana.

A number of players from the five unofficial games played between 1870 and 1872 were English or Indian born.

14 minutes ago, shaggycoo said:

Surely only a good question if we have?! :lol:

In my former position as a pub quizmaster I used to consider a "good pub quiz question" as one that was interesting and that at least 10-20% of the people in the pub might be able to answer correctly.

Ok, let me modify the initial question slightly...

Instead of "Who was called up to the FULL England squad, never played and went on to have a 6-year Scotland career?"

...it now reads...

"Who was called up to AN England squad, never played and went on to have a 6-year Scotland career?"

It was for men's fitba, not U21's or any other juniors or sexes or whatever.

Slight change because I'm still awaiting confirmation of the exact circumstances from the club and it transpires that the England manager did something really unusual back then that I didn't know about (apart from picking a Scot!).  As a result I can't say with 100% certainty that the call-up didn't take place under these unusual circumstances.  Given the player's status at the time and where his club were languishing, I'd be surprised if it did, but can't say for absolute sure.  (And Google doesn't help!)

Either way, what I do know is that he was picked as a potential full-international England player and promptly unpicked when somebody told them!

And it's someone you've all heard of.  In fact you'd likely kiss his feet if you met him, one in particular! :) 

26 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Ok, let me modify the initial question slightly...

Instead of "Who was called up to the FULL England squad, never played and went on to have a 6-year Scotland career?"

...it now reads...

"Who was called up to AN England squad, never played and went on to have a 6-year Scotland career?"

It was for men's fitba, not U21's or any other juniors or sexes or whatever.

Slight change because I'm still awaiting confirmation of the exact circumstances from the club and it transpires that the England manager did something really unusual back then that I didn't know about (apart from picking a Scot!).  As a result I can't say with 100% certainty that the call-up didn't take place under these unusual circumstances.  Given the player's status at the time and where his club were languishing, I'd be surprised if it did, but can't say for absolute sure.  (And Google doesn't help!)

Either way, what I do know is that he was picked as a potential full-international England player and promptly unpicked when somebody told them!

And it's someone you've all heard of.  In fact you'd likely kiss his feet if you met him, one in particular! :) 

In other words, you've made an arse of this.

10 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

In other words, you've made an arse of this.

Clearly I have in your opinion, but then you're well known as a bit of a ringpiece on here so I won't lose any sleep over it.  :) 

Any guesses as to the identity of the player since the question still stands, i.e. picked for an England squad, etc.?

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Clearly I have in your opinion, but then you're well known as a bit of a ringpiece on here so I won't lose any sleep over it.  :) 

Any guesses as to the identity of the player since the question still stands, i.e. picked for an England squad, etc.?

Picked so did he actually join up with the England squad ?

9 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Charming.

I only want you to provide a source (which you are struggling to do).

It's you who's making the claim, so it's up to you to prove it. What you should have done is found a source and confirmed it before you opened the thread.

You have indeed made a complete arse of this.