Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Eligibility - Good Pub Quiz Question

daviebee

35 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Dominic Matteo ? 

Good answer - Matteo fits apart from the 6-year career bit.  Forgot about him.  Not the guy I'm thinking about.

Aside - pisses me off that Gary Naysmith lost out on the chance to reach 50 caps cos of Craig Broon's flirtation with that erse.

41 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Dominic Matteo did make the bench twice for the full England squad. 

Andy Goram was also once on the bench for England U21s.

Was it Neil Sullivan ?

Sullivan was never called up for England to the best of my knowledge.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Don’t think he was selected for England at any level. He always stated he wanted to play for Scotland. 

Correct. Even when he began his career with Hartlepool he declared that there was only one country that he was going to play for.

His Dad was such a proud Scotsman  that "Flower of Scotland" was played at his funeral. I remember reading that a few years ago.

Hutchinson only played about 26 matches, but I can't remember him ever having a bad match. It's a shame that he was such a hellraiser at Liverpool as he would've probably have got a move to Man United and who know how good he would've become, as well winning 50+ caps.

Even so, he's a legend.

4 hours ago, daviebee said:

Sullivan was never called up for England to the best of my knowledge.

Nope, Sullivan did not establish himself as Wimbledon number one until 1995 (when he was about 25) after making his debut in 1990, and would make his Scotland debut just over a year later.

Plus Wimbledon players in the England squad was incredibly rare (can count number of players called up on one hand).

10 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I reckon this could be a "trick" question .....

How do we know it's not a player from the women's team ?

It's NOT a woman.  Trick question?  Not really... the 3 listed criteria apply although it was a bit unusual.

Something tells me that this is when the eligibility rules changed in the 70s.

Don't think it was Bob Wilson so Bruce Rioch. Did he play for 6 years? (75 to 81?)

Either that or during WWII but those were not full internationals. Either way great question and good way of getting through the day.

15 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Don't think it was Bob Wilson so Bruce Rioch. Did he play for 6 years? (75 to 81?)

Either that or during WWII but those were not full internationals. Either way great question and good way of getting through the day.

We did have a lot of Scots playing down south in the 70s, in fact probably their whole career outside Scotland so reckon you could be right as I doubt guys like Elliot, Stockdale, et al would of been anywhere near the England set up. 

24 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

Was Rioch ever called up for England?  Not sure if he was so this could've been a good guess.  He only had a 4-year Scotland career though which surprised me.

Nothing to do with wartime internationals.

Just now, daviebee said:

Was Rioch ever called up for England?  Not sure if he was so this could've been a good guess.  He only had a 4-year Scotland career though which surprised me.

Nothing to do with wartime internationals.

Yeh, thought Rioch might have been called up and not used under Docherty but became mainstream under Willie Ormond. Don't think he played much after Argentina but could be wrong. At his peak (76 - 77) could have played for anybody.

2 hours ago, daviebee said:

It's NOT a woman.  Trick question?  Not really... the 3 listed criteria apply although it was a bit unusual.

When the answer is eventually revealed, would you please provide a source for it ?  A book, webpage or newspaper article will do.