Cyclists beware - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

A green traffic light means that you may proceed providing the way ahead is clear. It doesn't mean that you can plough on regardless of whether there is a pedestrian in the middle of the road. Having said that, idiots who wander about the streets looking their phone not paying attention to what's going on round about them, deserve everything they get. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Yeah not sure where fair generally comes into anything to do with the application of the law, or many things in life come to think of it.

But it has noting to do fault / blame here.  As the judge decided they were both equally at fault.

So it seems his main mistake was to stick to his principles on not making a (counter) claim against the pedestrian.

Or generally not getting legal advice at the start.

As much as he has been shafted having to pay her £5k and cover the £100k cost of the trial. 

You have to wonder how things like this end up at trial. for what turned out to be a no fault accident. Seems like a waste of everyone's time and money.

If he had counter claimed, I assume the damages may have roughly cancelled out. But wonder who would have picked up the legal costs, the Taxpayer?

She has a scar to show for her stupidity and he is forever skint, but I do kinda admire his stand against whats become a US style litigious legal system in the UK.

Even if he would do it differently in hindsight.

Edited by The Golden Vision

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

This changes everything ...

100k for a 2 day trial. I’m in the wrong job.

yeah but to be slightly fair to the legal profession here, its not just 2 days trial. There is (sometimes) many days / weeks work in preparation for that 2 days in court

Its just in this case it was a complete waste of everyones time. IMHO.

Edited by The Golden Vision

11 minutes ago, The Golden Vision said:

its this bit that is holding my attention in this case still

"the judge ruled that a 8mm scar on her lip did not detract from her “very attractive” appearance"

Already "investigated" this, the judge needs to get out more.

I read some more details where the cyclist shouted, sounded a horn and still hit the pedestrian at 15mph. He was travelling far too fast and maybe the brakes would have been better than a horn?

Maybe time for cyclists to have insurance?

7 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I read some more details where the cyclist shouted, sounded a horn and still hit the pedestrian at 15mph. He was travelling far too fast and maybe the brakes would have been better than a horn?

Pedestrians too

and fat fvckers who sit on the couch all day eating pizza ; obesity

smokers ; alkies ; junkies who suck up resources in the health services

London cyclist are generally khunts.

Doesnt matter if the lights are green, amber or red, unless it is a serious junction then it's fair game to race through them not giving a flying fuk, while screaming at anybody who might get in their way. 

Speed is the problem mostly always. I would reckon 90% of accidents are avoidable if the speed was reduced. If you go through a busy pedestrian crossing at speed hoping no idiot walks out you have been trained badly, you always assume one will and especially on a bike or a motorbike where it could kill you.

Regarding the insurance it will be a  massive shame if bikes can no longer use pavements as a result but alas there are so many arseholes going too fast on them it seems inevitable. I cycle but as a pedestrian it annoys me when some fecker flies past from behind and gives you a fright, usually a courier. 

3 hours ago, Big Col said:

If you have Household insurance it covers you... 

5 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

Ive always thought that folk that complain about cyclists should try it for a few weeks then come back 

perception of a cyclist being a dick doesn't stop them being a dick 

multiple times been walking on a path & cyclists push you off

+ rattling through red lights as though the highway code has no application for them  

I don't recall last time i see cyclist stopping at red light - normally they either go through red light or run onto the the paths