How would VAR of affected our past - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How would VAR of affected our past

todd

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Didn't France get a goal wrongly ruled offside against us at Hampden back in 2006 ?

We should have got penalties against Georgia away in 2007 (McFadden fouled in the box) and Macedonia away in 2008 (Maloney fouled in the box).

Yeah, and in the Georgia and Macedonia examples we most likely would have qualified as a result of a correct decision.  Although the Georgia one may have been countered by the France example you gave.

Lithuania away (one of the dozen or so times). Lost 1-0 (if I recall correctly) to a penalty that no one saw - not even the ref but he appeared to claim that he "heard" the foul/contact. think it was Jackie McNamara who was the "culprit". 

Later in the same game their 6ft 8" sub launched himself head first straight into Pressley's head (who was heading the ball away). a red card/jail sentence any day of the week an don't even think a foul was given. i don't think VAR would have been used for that though......

I awoke in the night with a fever and the sky was the darkest blue (blue sky)

And a still voice was calling -  to me - "your country is needing you" Aye just like that.
And away in the distance i can just make out this ball, coming in from the left,and i'm starting to run,
to run like hell and the voices are getting louder and louder and louder, crying, "Hey big yin, gaun yersel'"

(Sung)

I have a dream (we have a dream)
If dreams come true (If dreams come true)
then bonny Scotland (then bonny Scotland)
I will play for you. (we'll play for you)
Now i hope and i pray (we hope and pray)
that if, if I do (that if we do)
Then bonny Scotland we'll play for you

(spoken)

Now the next thing I know, someones gaun and tripped me and i've fallen just inside the box (thats a penalty)
Now ref he looks to his linesman and he's pointing right at the spot! (thats brilliant)
Now John Robertson, who normally takes them, is handing the ball to me (you dont say)
and then it goes to VAR, and it turns out it's not a penalty after all, and the dream is over. 

This thing where VAR judges if a keeper microscopically goes off his/her line nanoseconds before a penaty, and orders a retake if so and books the keeper.

I reckon that around 90% of all penalties saved in any grade of men's or women's football in the history of the game would probably fall foul of this utterly stupid practice.

I’d be more interested in how we would have faired qualifying for France 98 as group winners if we had quite rightly been awarded a 3-0 bye for the one team in Tallinn game

Would we have put up a better showing against Cameroon and Chile than we did against Morocco and Norway. Brazil were a far better outfit than Italy and it took an own goal for Brazil to beat us

Remember our 3-0 defeat away to the Netherlands in 2009 ?

Wasn't one of the Dutch goals scored only after one of our players was clearly fouled ? The referee never noticed it.

Coincidently, Gary Caldwell went onto score from a header but it was disallowed because he had fouled one of their players in their box whilst heading it. The referee noticed that alright !

17 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Remember our 3-0 defeat away to the Netherlands in 2009 ?

Wasn't one of the Dutch goals scored only after one of our players was clearly fouled ? The referee never noticed it.

Coincidently, Gary Caldwell went onto score from a header but it was disallowed because he had fouled one of their players in their box whilst heading it. The referee noticed that alright !

Slovakia away, Fletcher was fouled not too far from their penalty area. Not given, they broke up the pitch and scored.

On 25 June 2019 at 8:04 PM, UpTheSlope said:

I’d be more interested in how we would have faired qualifying for France 98 as group winners if we had quite rightly been awarded a 3-0 bye for the one team in Tallinn game

Would we have put up a better showing against Cameroon and Chile than we did against Morocco and Norway. Brazil were a far better outfit than Italy and it took an own goal for Brazil to beat us

Wouldn't have made any difference, seedlings for the finals weren't based on qualification 

31 minutes ago, aaid said:

Wouldn't have made any difference, seedlings for the finals weren't based on qualification 

They are often made up as they go along.

I remember, for at least one tournament, "economic factors" were taken into account for seedings.

11 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

They are often made up as they go along.

I remember, for at least one tournament, "economic factors" were taken into account for seedings.

One year, one nation suggested that anyone who had previously won it should automatically be seeded.  

No prizes for guessing who.

No Joe Jordan penalty v Wales therefore  perhaps no Argentina, therefore no Archie Gemmells goal,therefore  my son ( Archie) would be called something else...

No Argentina therefore probably no national embarrassment and humiliation and self loathing and therefore leading to a (proper) YES vote in the 79 Referendum, leading us to no Thatcher and Independence late in the 1990's, No Blair, No Iraq War, No Cameron, No May and no Jonhson..  so in my alternative universe VAR in 77 would have , in the long term been a better thing.....

But would I swap all that for Archie's Goal.............   

On 6/20/2019 at 9:36 PM, PASTA Mick said:

The penalty the Czechs had late on in the 2-2 match wouldn't have been given. 

Yes and, IIRC, we should've had a penalty immediately after that probably would've been given with VAR.

Anyone who has watched VAR being used in the Woman's World Cup would know that nothing will ever change. The big teams will get the decisions and the small teams won't. Simple as that.

Against England, a Scotland defender stuck out a leg in order to stop the cross, the ball then hit the arm that the defender was using to balance her body. Penalty given.

Last night against Norway, the ball ricochet off an England player's thigh onto her arm. Penalty not given. Not even reviewed.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

5 hours ago, stocky said:

No Joe Jordan penalty v Wales therefore  perhaps no Argentina, therefore no Archie Gemmells goal,therefore  my son ( Archie) would be called something else...

But I swap all that for Archie's Goal.............   

Aye but we might have got a penalty earlier in the Anfield game when McQueen went down in the box chasing a through ball at 0-0

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Last night against Norway, the ball ricochet off an England player's thigh onto her arm. Penalty not given. Not even reviewed.

Under the laws, the ricochet off the leg mean the fact it goes on to the arm is irrelevant.