How would VAR of affected our past - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How would VAR of affected our past

todd

Just been wondering if VAR was in use in all our previous internationals would we have perhaps qualified more often or even less often. Or indeed maybe even progressed to the later stages of tournaments.  There must be a bucket load of contentious penalties, offsides, etc over the years. 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Wonder how many will mention Italy 2007 ...

3-0 Italy if you use VAR for the big decisions in that game. Unfortunately VAR can't be used on dodgy freekicks or we could've kept the hypothetical game to just a two nil defeat.

Edited by paper_lion

10 hours ago, paper_lion said:

3-0 Italy if you use VAR for the big decisions in that game. Unfortunately VAR can't be used on dodgy freekicks or we could've kept the hypothetical game to just a two nil defeat.

That's how I seen it too.  But ultimately either way we would have still lost the game and failed to qualify. A more critical example is probably the 2-2 draw with the Czechs in euro 2012, VAR would have seen us win that game and almost certainly make the play offs.

1 hour ago, todd said:

That's how I seen it too.  But ultimately either way we would have still lost the game and failed to qualify. A more critical example is probably the 2-2 draw with the Czechs in euro 2012, VAR would have seen us win that game and almost certainly make the play offs.

My memory is atrocious. I can barely remember that game other than the Fletcher goal. Had to re-watch the highlights.

Presumably we'll get VAR in qualifiers within the next decade after a wrong decision gets made involving a big team.

Yeah that's always what it takes for change, one of the big guns being on the receiving end.  Maybe it's just my english paranoia but it seemed that goal line technology was hurried after the Frank Lampard goal that never was against Germany.

11 minutes ago, todd said:

Yeah that's always what it takes for change, one of the big guns being on the receiving end.  Maybe it's just my english paranoia but it seemed that goal line technology was hurried after the Frank Lampard goal that never was against Germany.

It probably helped it along the way.

Still salty about that goal. It cost me on a 300/1 bet on all eight results of the last 16 games. They'd probably have lost anyway. Should never have went for the draw.

14 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Now, as much I will like this topic, most of us will be thinking of incidents for the positive, but there would have been numerous gone against us also - we nee dot remember those. 

To get some balance...we got a couple of soft penalties against Faroe Islands in the 6-0 win at Celtic Park. 

I reckon there's going to be loads for this. The first one I thought of was Georgia away 2007, stonewall penalty in the first 20 odd mins not given when McFadden was brought down. Would undoubtedly have changed the game. And would have had a bearing on the Italy game.

ps - good topic by the way 

Didn't France get a goal wrongly ruled offside against us at Hampden back in 2006 ?

We should have got penalties against Georgia away in 2007 (McFadden fouled in the box) and Macedonia away in 2008 (Maloney fouled in the box).

Edited by ErsatzThistle