Scottish Players Who Said Naw to the Old Firm - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players Who Said Naw to the Old Firm

21 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

re signed derek johnstone from chelsea, brought back the black & red socks

still got humped by the dons tho

I was at that game - Wallace's first game back - it really was men against boys.  Aberdeen were 2-0 after 20 minutes or so from my recollection and went on to win 3-0.   My main memory from the game was Dave 'Psycho' McKinnon going into Rougvie with a tackle that would probably see you jailed these days.  Rougvie barely flinched.  McKinnon injured himself in the process and had the indignity of being booked while being stretchered off.

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Are you sure about that? Wallace left and Souness joined the same day IIRC.

Rangers definitely went for McLean after John Grieg was bagged, although I think Ferguson was the first choice. I do remember Scotsport reports from outside Ibrox as wee Jim was locked in lengthy talks with the board before knocking them back.

That's correct, it was when John Greig was binned in season 83/84.  I think they went for Ferguson first, then McLean and eventually went for Wallace.

Souness's appointment was a bolt out of the blue - if you excuse the pun.   I could be wrong but I'm not sure of any speculation regarding any other managers.   Rangers played a friendly against Spurs at Ibrox on Easter Sunday - it was the cup semi-final weekend and so they both had a free weekend.   That was Wallace's last game and Souness was announced, that week, possibly on the Monday.   As he was still playing with Sampdoria, Smith came in until the end of the season.

15 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Now if only you lot had  thought like that at the time, you could have saved thousands of palpations, burst blood vessels and I suspect, a few strokes. 😃

The ones whose blood pressure was raised are the ones we could do without anyway. Permarage knob ends.