Scottish Players Who Said Naw to the Old Firm - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish Players Who Said Naw to the Old Firm

In light of the recent David Turnbull and Celtic drama, I've been wondering ...

How many similar cases have there been down the decades where a Scottish player rejected a transfer to either of the Old Firm, even after the clubs had agreed a fee ?

Any from the 90's, 80's, 70's ?

McFadden was continuously linked with Celtic, but think he would have gone if Celtic had stumped up the cash.

Sure they offered us 20 quid for a season long loan and first option to buy at a price of their choosing before he went to Everton.

Edited by sbcmfc

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

In light of the recent David Turnbull and Celtic drama, I've been wondering ...

How many similar cases have there been down the decades where a Scottish player rejected a transfer to either of the Old Firm, even after the clubs had agreed a fee ?

Any from the 90's, 80's, 70's ?

No idea if true or not but Willie Miller and McLiesh apparently told them to eff off. Ferguson played for Ranger but as a manager he told Rangers to eff off. 

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

No idea if true or not but Willie Miller and McLiesh apparently told them to eff off. Ferguson played for Ranger but as a manager he told Rangers to eff off. 

My Dad told me he remembers that Rangers tried "at least twice" to sign Alex McLeish.

I'm positive that Billy McNeill once said that during his first spell in charge of Celtic, he tried to sign Willie Miller.

Struggling with this one. Eoin Jess seemed to be linked with rangers for at least 3 years or something, so not sure what happened there. I'd imagine there must have been loads of youth players in the 70s/80s that said no given how many Scots used to play in England back then.

29 minutes ago, JECK said:

Struggling with this one. Eoin Jess seemed to be linked with rangers for at least 3 years or something, so not sure what happened there. I'd imagine there must have been loads of youth players in the 70s/80s that said no given how many Scots used to play in England back then.

Wages/transfers were more of a level playing field until mexico 86 in Scotland

Jim McLean famously told Rangers to get fucked,  they then went for  Souness. In hindsight, maybe the seethe started back then 😃

Goodwillie also papped them for Blackburn 

Edited by Jim Beem
To point out he was wielding a hammer

Kevin Gallagher also turned Celtic down when he was at United. I seem to remember he worried about Celtic fans comparing him and living up to his Grandad Patsy.

Actually this thread is pissing me off now, I’d almost forgotten  we used to have some really good players 😡

42 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Jim McLean famously told Rangers to get fucked,  they then went for  Souness. In hindsight, maybe the seethe started back then 😃

It was actually Jock Wallace they went for after wee Jum and Fergie knocked them back.

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Goodwillie also papped them for Blackburn 

I remember that one. United kept knocking back the bids and Rangers kept coming back with extra £100,000 added to their offer, they made five or six bids :-))

The so called "journalists" and ex players writing for The Record and The Sun predictably moaned about how "Dundee Utd are being selfish in trying to stop Goodwillie's dream move to Ibrox".

Rangers passed away a year or two later.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I remember that one. United kept knocking back the bids and Rangers kept coming back with extra £100,000 added to their offer, they made five or six bids :-))

The so called "journalists" and ex players writing for The Record and The Sun predictably moaned about how "Dundee Utd are being selfish in trying to stop Goodwillie's dream move to Ibrox".

Rangers passed away a year or two later.

😂😂 That  helped trigger the beginning of Rangers PROJECT SEETHE toward United 👍

They were absolutely fuming that we went with the highest bid.😤

3 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It was actually Jock Wallace they went for after wee Jum and Fergie knocked them back.

Nah, McLean knocked them back end of 85/86. After Wallace left/got punted and just prior to Souness taking over.

Souness, quite shrewdly to be fair, immediately moved to take Walter Smith away from United to Rangers as his assistant. 

👍

Edited by Jim Beem

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Nah, McLean knocked them back end of 85/86. After Wallace left/got punted and just prior to Souness taking over.

Are you sure about that? Wallace left and Souness joined the same day IIRC.

Rangers definitely went for McLean after John Grieg was bagged, although I think Ferguson was the first choice. I do remember Scotsport reports from outside Ibrox as wee Jim was locked in lengthy talks with the board before knocking them back.

3 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

😂😂 That  helped trigger the beginning of Rangers PROJECT SEETHE toward United 👍

They were absolutely fuming that we went with the highest bid.😤

I doubt it. We avoided one of the biggest wastes of space to fill a football Jersey. You did us a massive favour. 😂

On 6/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, JECK said:

Eoin Jess seemed to be linked with rangers for at least 3 years or something, so not sure what happened there

Makes me think back to friday night scotsport (extra time?) and gerry mcnee 'exclusively revealing' Jess was Ibrox bound almost every week.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I doubt it. We avoided one of the biggest wastes of space to fill a football Jersey. You did us a massive favour. 😂

Now if only you lot had  thought like that at the time, you could have saved thousands of palpations, burst blood vessels and I suspect, a few strokes. 😃

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Are you sure about that? Wallace left and Souness joined the same day IIRC.

Rangers definitely went for McLean after John Grieg was bagged, although I think Ferguson was the first choice. I do remember Scotsport reports from outside Ibrox as wee Jim was locked in lengthy talks with the board before knocking them back.

100%. McLean has talked often about it. Smith was up for the challenge which I suspect Souness got wind of. Not that there was any animosity for Smith leaving. You are right as well though, they had made an attempt previously in the early 80s  (assume after Greig ) but that never even got off the ground if I recall