Europa League 19/20 - Page 35 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I'll take that as a compliment. 🤣

I just think folk like to make up shite too often. 

Any club is within its rights to remove press privileges from a reporter or organisation if they feel unfairly treated. 

Sometimes though it's just because the club is staffed by dicks. 

As has been said Fergie regularly did it. Pretty sure the bunnet banned Hugh Keevins from Parkhead too. Just dicks being dicks. 

I think part of the problem is also why he was banned. For calling the Rangers support out on sectarianism.

The rangers regime at the time were pandering to the vocal element of the support and rather than condemn the bigots, they ban a reporter for focusing on that aspect of the afternoon.

3 hours ago, aaid said:

The BBC isn't being entirely consistent here.  When Alex Ferguson refused to speak to the BBC for years, they didn't stop covering Man Utd.  All they did was interview Mike Phelan instead.  That was the principled stance they took then.

Not there same though is it.

Ferguson fell out with them over a Panorama story about his son being dodgy if I recall correctly, so he refused to talk to them. 

4 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Apparently rangers now face a 3rd charge for sectarian singing at Midtylland.

😂

UEFA really sticking the boot in.

Their fans are outraged online over it, the general retard opinion is, how can charge 2 come when charge 1 hasnt been dealt with, and then charge 3, its just a Tim conspiracy.

Id like to see a lawyer use that defence in court. Yes your honour, my client has committed 8 frauds, however frauds 2-7 cant count as he wasn't caught for fraud 1, so thought everything was fine.

UEFA are doing everyone a favour with this, I just hope their punishments get serious very quickly. Did they manage to behave themselves last night?

23 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Their fans are outraged online over it, the general retard opinion is, how can charge 2 come when charge 1 hasnt been dealt with, and then charge 3, its just a Tim conspiracy.

Id like to see a lawyer use that defence in court. Yes your honour, my client has committed 8 frauds, however frauds 2-7 cant count as he wasn't caught for fraud 1, so thought everything was fine.

UEFA are doing everyone a favour with this, I just hope their punishments get serious very quickly. Did they manage to behave themselves last night?

Playing devil's advocate but I assume the argument would be against increased punishments for subsequent offences rather than saying they don't count at all.

A similar analogy might be if someone burgles a house, gets charged and while on bail - but before being convicted - burgles another house.   The first case comes to court and the get a fine.   The second case comes to court and because it's a second offence, the sentence is a jail term.   The defence argues that technically, it wasn't a second offence as the burgler as the burgler hadn't been convicted of the first offence when the second offence was committed. 

I suppose the argument is that having sentences that ramp up each time are designed to force a change in behaviour but that doesn't work if you don't give an opportunity for the behaviour to change, i.e. offence, sanction, offence, higher sanction - not offence, offence, sanction, higher sanction.

FTR, UEFA should do what they see fit to address the issue, it's an embarrassment that the SFA won't do similar.   

I would think Rangers would be able to put forward an argument that they are taking steps to deal with it and maybe get a fine and suspended stadium ban. Although the counter argument would be it’s too little too late.

Amongst all the paranoid pish and whataboutery, they do seem to have a point they’ve been dealt with relatively harshly compared to Celtic who seem to get fine after fine....

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Not there same though is it.

Ferguson fell out with them over a Panorama story about his son being dodgy if I recall correctly, so he refused to talk to them. 

You are correct - the Panorama story implicated his son, Martin, a football agent at the time (amongst others).

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

Midjyttland charge was nonsense, Record have retracted the story, apologised and punted the reporter. 👍

Fans were behaved, few shouts here and there which were immediately pounced upon which was good to see.  

As for the 2nd charge, another 300 seats for our first home group game. 

3 hours ago, kumnio said:

We're all forgetting the best media boycot of the lot....

...when Dave Seaman refused to speak to Sky till 'they sent someone to fix his dish'

39 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

We're all forgetting the best media boycot of the lot....

...when Dave Seaman refused to speak to Sky till 'they sent someone to fix his dish'

😂

Thats brilliant if true

4 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I think part of the problem is also why he was banned. For calling the Rangers support out on sectarianism.

The rangers regime at the time were pandering to the vocal element of the support and rather than condemn the bigots, they ban a reporter for focusing on that aspect of the afternoon.

I don't disagree. 

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Why? I didn't think EK was bad. I didn't agree with him very often but he wasnt a bampot like some on here. 

It wasn’t meant as a compliment. 😂

It was a reference to his wonderful ability to play in semantics and completely ignore the massive holes in his argument.

How does it work with the group stages?  In terms of going through.  I am assuming winners go straight through but what about runners up etc?  Ithink its not a bad draw for old firm.  If either of them have any ambition, which I sure they have then why not go looking to win the group.  Not on the Glenlivet yet btw.  Leffe belgian beer.  First this week.  So, how does the group stages work?

27 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

How does it work with the group stages?  In terms of going through.  I am assuming winners go straight through but what about runners up etc?  Ithink its not a bad draw for old firm.  If either of them have any ambition, which I sure they have then why not go looking to win the group.  Not on the Glenlivet yet btw.  Leffe belgian beer.  First this week.  So, how does the group stages work?

Winners and runners up go through along with the 8 3rd places champions league teams to the “round of 32”