Europa League 19/20 - Page 34 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

20 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Fergie did not ban the BBC from old trafford, he refused to speak to them, they were still welcome to attend games at old trafford. The scenario is nothing like the rangers example. 

Fergie refused to talk to the BBC and sent another representative from Man Utd to do it instead

Rangers banned a BBC jounralist because they didn't like an article he wrote. The BBC then decided not to attend Ibrox because they backed their man.

The scenarios are not similar

And again, he's not banned. Rangers have publicly stated he's welcome to but a ticket like anyone else. 

He's just not being given the free press facilities. Same as I'm not allowed in there and nor are you. 

Are we both banned then? 

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Fergie did not ban the BBC from old trafford, he refused to speak to them, they were still welcome to attend games at old trafford. The scenario is nothing like the rangers example. 

Fergie refused to talk to the BBC and sent another representative from Man Utd to do it instead

Rangers banned a BBC jounralist because they didn't like an article he wrote. The BBC then decided not to attend Ibrox because they backed their man.

The scenarios are not similar

They are entirely similar, all that is different is the clubs and how the BBC reacted.

Alex Ferguson refused to speak to the BBC.  Post Match interviews are normally  -  and possibly contractually - carried out by the manager.  Since Man Utd were "dictating" to the BBC who was being put up for interview, the BBC had a choice.  They could've said, if we don't speak to Ferguson pre and post match, we don't speak to anyone.  They didn't, they went with Mike Phelan, the option presented to them by the club. 

Rangers banned Chris McLaughlin, AFAIK, they had no issue with any other reporter.  They again had the choice, to say, if you won't allow Chris McLaughlin to report, then we're not going to send anyone, or they could've taken the option proposed by the club to send another reporter to cover Rangers.  In this case though they took the option not to engage and in fact went a whole lot further and refused to engage with the club entirely.

Ferguson was well known for falling out with individual journalists, I'm sure if it wouldn't take me long to come up with examples of where he's banned individual journalists and their organisations have simply sent another journalist along to cover press conferences. 

27 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

And again, he's not banned. Rangers have publicly stated he's welcome to but a ticket like anyone else. 

He's just not being given the free press facilities. Same as I'm not allowed in there and nor are you. 

Are we both banned then? 

Ok, hes banned from the press facilities which is the only reason he would likely be there. That's straw clutching RB

23 minutes ago, aaid said:

They are entirely similar, all that is different is the clubs and how the BBC reacted.

Alex Ferguson refused to speak to the BBC.  Post Match interviews are normally  -  and possibly contractually - carried out by the manager.  Since Man Utd were "dictating" to the BBC who was being put up for interview, the BBC had a choice.  They could've said, if we don't speak to Ferguson pre and post match, we don't speak to anyone.  They didn't, they went with Mike Phelan, the option presented to them by the club. 

Rangers banned Chris McLaughlin, AFAIK, they had no issue with any other reporter.  They again had the choice, to say, if you won't allow Chris McLaughlin to report, then we're not going to send anyone, or they could've taken the option proposed by the club to send another reporter to cover Rangers.  In this case though they took the option not to engage and in fact went a whole lot further and refused to engage with the club entirely.

Ferguson was well known for falling out with individual journalists, I'm sure if it wouldn't take me long to come up with examples of where he's banned individual journalists and their organisations have simply sent another journalist along to cover press conferences. 

You've just illustrated exactly how the situations are different yet state they are the same.😂

Do you think the people who make the decisions at the BBC in england are the same as those in scotland? 

I doubt the people who decided to continue going to old trafford in england give a fuck about yet another toys out of the pram moment from rangers

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You've just illustrated exactly how the situations are different yet state they are the same.😂

Do you think the people who make the decisions at the BBC in england are the same as those in scotland? 

I doubt the people who decided to continue going to old trafford in england give a fuck about yet another toys out of the pram moment from rangers

I'll let others who are less blinkered make their own minds up as to whether they are similar or not.

But you give the game away, it's not about a journalist being banned, it's about *Rangers* banning a journalist 

46 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Are we both banned then? 

Fuck me, it’s like having EK Celt back.

😂

Just now, aaid said:

I'll let others who are less blinkered make their own minds up as to whether they are similar or not.

But you give the game away, it's not about a journalist being banned, it's about *Rangers* banning a journalist 

I gave nothing away, you deflected away from Rangers throwing the toys out of the pram by using the fergie v BBC spat which is nothing like what went on with McGlaughlin and rangers. I will put in simple terms for you

Rangers ban BBC journalist from press facilities - is that better RB?

Manager refuse to talk to BBC

BBC back their man and refuse to send anyone to Rangers

BBC continue to go to Old traffford and speak another club representative. 

If anyone is blinkered here its you

10 hours ago, macy37 said:

2 good results just a massive shame it’s only us pair that ever manage anything of decent note in Europe.

It's almost as if you have a wage bill that's bigger than the other 10 clubs combined eh?

That said, didn't help you when Cluj stuck 4 past you at home.

I think in light of Rangers new found stance against sectarian singing it’s all the more ridiculous.

IIRC McLaughlin reported on rangers win at Easter road (think it was the opening game of 14/15?) by focusing on the bigotry coming from the travelling support.

Rangers fans put pressure on one of the previous regimes to stand up for them as they felt the focus should’ve been on what was a good game on the park and the club should defend their “traditions”.

Said regime happily pandered to them and went to war with the BBC.

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

It's almost as if you have a wage bill that's bigger than the other 10 clubs combined eh?

That said, didn't help you when Cluj stuck 4 past you at home.

Sorry, I forgot your team were eliminated by European giants. 

17 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I gave nothing away, you deflected away from Rangers throwing the toys out of the pram by using the fergie v BBC spat which is nothing like what went on with McGlaughlin and rangers. I will put in simple terms for you

Rangers ban BBC journalist from press facilities - is that better RB?

Manager refuse to talk to BBC

BBC back their man and refuse to send anyone to Rangers

BBC continue to go to Old traffford and speak another club representative. 

If anyone is blinkered here its you

I'll make it simple for you.  In both cases the BBC had a choice, stand up to the bullies or go with the flow.  They made different choices in each case  

Man Utd - go with the flow

Rangers - stand up to the bullies 

You're really going to make me dig for the times when the blessed Fergie banned journalists from Pittodrie aren't you.

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'll make it simple for you.  In both cases the BBC had a choice, stand up to the bullies or go with the flow.  They made different choices in each case  

You're really going to make me dig for the times when the blessed Fergie banned journalists from Pittodrie aren't you.

go digging all you want, why would I care? I don't care whether fergie fell out with journalists or not, its you who's using fergies being a sulk to show some sort of BBC bias

If he banned journalists from pittodrie, do you think my opinion will change because he was acting like a cunt at the club I support. My opinions on these things are not dictated by the club I support

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think in light of Rangers new found stance against sectarian singing it’s all the more ridiculous.

IIRC McLaughlin reported on rangers win at Easter road (think it was the opening game of 14/15?) by focusing on the bigotry coming from the travelling support.

Rangers fans put pressure on one of the previous regimes to stand up for them as they felt the focus should’ve been on what was a good game on the park and the club should defend their “traditions”.

Said regime happily pandered to them and went to war with the BBC.

I suspect it's got to the point where it's become personal between the individuals involved and that neither will climb down without losing face.  I doubt anything will change until one or other moves on.  

BTW when I say individuals involved, I don't mean Chris McLaughlin himself but whoever at BBC Scotland who made the decision to not send anyone to Ibrox.  That would be way above Chris McLaughlin's pay grade.  It'll be two people senior enough at Ibrox and Pacific Quay that no-one can knock their heads together. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

go digging all you want, why would I care? I don't care whether fergie fell out with journalists or not, its you who's using fergies being a sulk to show some sort of BBC bias

If he banned journalists from pittodrie, do you think my opinion will change because he was acting like a cunt at the club I support. My opinions on these things are not dictated by the club I support

But they are dictated by the club you hate though, that's pretty transparent.

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Was there not more to this than the Chris McLaughlin thing though? Were  Rangers not releasing statements etc against the BBC leading up to this.

Rangers PR for most of the last 7 years has been atrocious.

Do the Rangers fans really believe the BBC are the problem here? Or is it (former bbc employee) Jim Traynor and chums?

If any media organisation feels that one of its journalists has unfairly had their privileges removed by anyone, be it a business, football club, political party etc then they're absolutely right to refuse to send a replacement. What happens when Rangers don't like the next BBC guy, and the next one, and the next one? Where does it end?

7 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

If any media organisation feels that one of its journalists has unfairly had their privileges removed by anyone, be it a business, football club, political party etc then they're absolutely right to refuse to send a replacement. What happens when Rangers don't like the next BBC guy, and the next one, and the next one? Where does it end?

It ends with Chick Young rimming David Murray in his office on Friday sportscene like the good old days.

👍🏻

Edited by sbcmfc

16 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Was there not more to this than the Chris McLaughlin thing though? Were  Rangers not releasing statements etc against the BBC leading up to this.

Rangers PR for most of the last 7 years has been atrocious.

Do the Rangers fans really believe the BBC are the problem here? Or is it (former bbc employee) Jim Traynor and chums?

I couldn't really comment on what Rangers fans think. I'm very much an armchair/lapsed fan and outwith my own group of friends don't really pay much attention to what "the Rangers fans" think - certainly not on social media as that's full of heid the baws.

I agree with you that the club's PR has been appalling in recent years, not the only thing that's been appalling though.  One thing that really disappointed me was that with the whole administration and  liquidation saga, it presented an opportunity to reset the club and get rid of a lot of the baggage.  Unfortunately that was lost as the club was taken over by a bunch of charlatans who went for a cynical approach of appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Appointing Traynor was an obvious mistake at the time.  The reason why you get a former journalist in as head of PR is twofold, one they know how the press works from the inside and two, they're on good terms with a lot of journalists and so they'll be able to get the stories they want in the press and keep the ones they don't want out of the press.

I doubt Traynor has many - if indeed any - friends amongst Scottish Football writers.

I remember - I think it was in Riga, in 96 - I had to meet Marjorie Nimmo for something or other on the morning of the game, probably to pick up tickets.  Anyway, Marjorie and the other SFA staff that weren't part of the playing side would always stay in the same hotel as the press.   I was sitting in the lobby waiting for her.  Also in the lobby were a bunch of journos, all sitting shooting the breeze and in good spirits.  Sitting some distance away from them, on his own, and looking miserable as sin was Jim Traynor.

I know another journo to talk to and a while later I asked him about it and he was less than complimentary about him and basically said, everyone hates him, no-one wants to have anything to do with him.

27 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I understand what you're saying, however the BBC has a responsibility for covering everything because we all pay them to do so. 

I would have thought that the best approach was to send another journo and report on whatever happens as they did before. Then if Rangers do ban a 2nd journo it'd be plainly obvious who the cunts are. 

As it is they all look like childish twats. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Fuck me, it’s like having EK Celt back.

😂

I'll take that as a compliment. 🤣

I just think folk like to make up shite too often. 

Any club is within its rights to remove press privileges from a reporter or organisation if they feel unfairly treated. 

Sometimes though it's just because the club is staffed by dicks. 

As has been said Fergie regularly did it. Pretty sure the bunnet banned Hugh Keevins from Parkhead too. Just dicks being dicks.