Europa League 19/20 - Page 33 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Chris McLaughlin is still banned, so the BBC won't send anyone.

He's not banned. He's had his Media privileges removed. 

He can buy a ticket and attend the game if he likes. 

46 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Cracking result.

Not much between both teams, but we created slighly more over the two legs.

Manage to capitalise on the only lapse in consentration their defence made over the 180 minutes.

Positive night for Scottish football.

Disagree that there wasn't much between the teams. Rangers were easily the better team. 

16 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

2015.   Petty and childish from both.   Plus the authorities agree media contracts while allowing a member and contractor a veto.

Totally agree. Ridiculous that the state broadcaster is has curtailed coverage of one the country's biggest clubs for so long. Fans are the losers again.

12 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

He's not banned. He's had his Media privileges removed. 

He can buy a ticket and attend the game if he likes. 

So he is banned then. How can he do his job?

Classic old firm whataboutery. 

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

2015.   Petty and childish from both.   Plus the authorities agree media contracts while allowing a member and contractor a veto.

Actually goes way further back further. The BBC broadcast a interview with McCoist in 2011 where the edit made it look like he was disagreeing the bigitory was an issue. Rangers complained, and the BBC apologied. Someone at the BBC lost their job.  Been bad blood ever since, unfortunatelly.

If I remember correctly about McLaughlin, he reported on a game where fans were arrested. His (well known) source was then bragging online that he provided info to him, despite not being at the game. 

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It's not whataboutery at all. Try looking up the definition. 

He isn't banned he can still attend the games. They just aren't giving him the free access to the press facilities. 

And to avoid doubt I think Rangers were pathetic to do that in the first place but BBC Scotland have matched them in their self imposed exile. 

It an utter embarrassment for all involved. 

6 minutes ago, kumnio said:

He appears to have been doing his job for the last four years.   Do the BBC only have one football correspondent or something?  

The seethe from the Huns re Sir Holy Goalie is magnificent. Then they give it large about beating Legia. Like we give a flying fuck about the result of a polish club!😂

2 good results just a massive shame it’s only us pair that ever manage anything of decent note in Europe.

11 minutes ago, macy37 said:

The seethe from the Huns re Sir Holy Goalie is magnificent. Then they give it large about beating Legia. Like we give a flying fuck about the result of a polish club!😂

2 good results just a massive shame it’s only us pair that ever manage anything of decent note in Europe.

So was it really Boruc? I've only seen the picture on here and assumed it was just somebody that looked like him. Admittedly I'm not 100% sure what he looks like. 😁

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's not whataboutery at all. Try looking up the definition. 

He isn't banned he can still attend the games. They just aren't giving him the free access to the press facilities. 

And to avoid doubt I think Rangers were pathetic to do that in the first place but BBC Scotland have matched them in their self imposed exile. 

It an utter embarrassment for all involved. 

So he is banned then. 

verb (used with object), banned, ban·ning.

to prohibit, forbid, or bar; interdict: to ban nuclear weapons; The dictator banned all newspapers and books that criticized his regime.
Archaic. 
  1. to pronounce an ecclesiastical curse upon.
  2. to curse; execrate.

noun

the act of prohibiting by law; interdiction.
informal denunciation or prohibition, as by public opinion: society's ban on racial discrimination.
Law. 
  1. a proclamation.
  2. a public condemnation.
Ecclesiastical. a formal condemnation; excommunication.

According to a dictionary,, definition anyway. Also, the very example they use, is very fitting.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

He appears to have been doing his job for the last four years.   Do the BBC only have one football correspondent or something?  

The BBC cant allow clubs to dictate to them who reports on them, surely?

7 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Totally agree. Ridiculous that the state broadcaster is has curtailed coverage of one the country's biggest clubs for so long. Fans are the losers again.

I dont see anything wrong with the BBC's actions here. In fact I'm glad they've taken a stand against rangers, it's about time a media outlet did this instead of towing the hun party line.

6 hours ago, kumnio said:

The BBC cant allow clubs to dictate to them who reports on them, surely?

FTR, I think banning him in the first place was childish and petty but so is the BBCs response, especially as a public service broadcaster they are denying a service to a large section of the people who fund them.

The BBC isn't being entirely consistent here.  When Alex Ferguson refused to speak to the BBC for years, they didn't stop covering Man Utd.  All they did was interview Mike Phelan instead.  That was the principled stance they took then.

16 minutes ago, aaid said:

FTR, I think banning him in the first place was childish and petty but so is the BBCs response, especially as a public service broadcaster they are denying a service to a large section of the people who fund them.

The BBC isn't being entirely consistent here.  When Alex Ferguson refused to speak to the BBC for years, they didn't stop covering Man Utd.  All they did was interview Mike Phelan instead.  That was the principled stance they took then.

the majority of the huns will not care, if anything they'll love it with the BBC being so bias against them.

Re fergie, he didn't ban a BBC journalist and that wasn't BBC scotland

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

the majority of the huns will not care, if anything they'll love it with the BBC being so bias against them.

Re fergie, he didn't ban a BBC journalist and that wasn't BBC scotland

You're right, he didn't ban *a* BBC journalist, he banned the entire organisation. 

BBC Scotland isn't the BBC, I've heard it all now. 

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

You're right, he didn't ban *a* BBC journalist, he banned the entire organisation. 

BBC Scotland isn't the BBC, I've heard it all now. 

Fergie did not ban the BBC from old trafford, he refused to speak to them, they were still welcome to attend games at old trafford. The scenario is nothing like the rangers example. 

Fergie refused to talk to the BBC and sent another representative from Man Utd to do it instead

Rangers banned a BBC jounralist because they didn't like an article he wrote. The BBC then decided not to attend Ibrox because they backed their man.

The scenarios are not similar