Europa League 19/20 - Page 30 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

14 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes that's a good point, about comparing records. Liverpool for example keep getting pitched into the CL even though that have not won the league since... [edit: insert facts: 1989/90, ie thirty years this season.]. 

So the fact they managed to win the sodding CL twice means it looks as if they are nearly as great as when they won it three times (?) in the 70s...

Even apart from the fairness of it, it devalues the CL as I cant accept Liverpool as "Champions of Europe" when they are not even Champions of England. 

7 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Sadly this opinion will become more redundant with every passing season. 

Farcical when you think about it. 

And it got worse this year with the increased places for Europe's richest leagues.

I had a look at the route ajax took last year, three qualifiers and they reached the semi finals. 

Three qualifiers again this year, we are talking ajax here a european institution when it comes to football. Clubs like spurs and liverpool are lucky simply because they play in a rich league

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I knew I should have gone for the 1942 version. ;)

You were never even close on your guess(es). This is what makes me laugh. All of a sudden I am this '56 year old man' who 'should know better' and 'not swear' etc... Fuuuuuuuuk ooooooooooff. 

This board is fucking mental. Bless it.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

You were never even close on your guess(es). This is what makes me laugh. All of a sudden I am this '56 year old man' who 'should know better' and 'not swear' etc... Fuuuuuuuuk ooooooooooff. 

You better not show your face before the Belgium game.  I will punch you so many times you would think you were surrounded.  Kidding pal.  We are Scots and always will be.  Good men are thin on the ground.  Night mate.  Scotland Forever.

14 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Tennents bar on 9th September @ 1500

You can bring Rossy if you want.

What do you say?

29 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

And it got worse this year with the increased places for Europe's richest leagues.

I had a look at the route ajax took last year, three qualifiers and they reached the semi finals. 

Three qualifiers again this year, we are talking ajax here a european institution when it comes to football. Clubs like spurs and liverpool are lucky simply because they play in a rich league

Wasn't there supposed to be sort of reform being pushed by Platini, to make things fairer for smaller nations, but then he was done for corruption....    :whistling: 

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Tennents bar on 9th September @ 1500

You can bring Rossy if you want.

What do you say?

I believe you, I and wee GS were all born the same year. Only one of us is chilled out relaxed and  non confrontational.  Years passing quickly, too quickly for my liking so enjoy and avoid disputes. Tennents  bar too posh for me prefer Horseshoe.

20 hours ago, macy37 said:

That cunt Hills lives in Gala. That’s all you need to know,fucking Gala, the armpit of Scotland.

U are warming to me at last Macy Bhoy. Braw lads of gala water. Maybe meet up for a pint in the gluepot? Recently in news as cheapest pub to buy in Scotland. 15 grand. It's my type of pub. Good atmosphere and plenty characters. I seem to fit in no problem 😀

Rangers have advised UEFA they won’t accept any tickets for the next away game. Effectively banning fans themselves. Also another very strongly worded statement on the website quite clearly allocating the blame to the Union Bears. Good to see them finally make a stand on this. 

Just to be devils advocate, turning down an away allocation costs Rangers nothing and as a bonus absolves them of any responsibility for fans they know will travel anyway.

Presumably in the hope that them taking action avoids a stadium closure, which at a conservative estimate (50,000 x £20) would cost them £1million.

Still good to see them take action and speak out strongly.

7 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Just to be devils advocate, turning down an away allocation costs Rangers nothing and as a bonus absolves them of any responsibility for fans they know will travel anyway.

Presumably in the hope that them taking action avoids a stadium closure, which at a conservative estimate (50,000 x £20) would cost them £1million.

Still good to see them take action and speak out strongly.

To be honest I think it's more to avoid the risk of being kicked out the tournament.  Although I've a feeling we won't go through tonight so that'll be a problem for next year!

Edited by Fairbairn

About time UEFA stood up and the kick in the shiter the club needed.  Tonight though gives me the fear, the amount of morons who'll be pissed up and start or someone who is defiant.

Positively, most (not all) of my Twitter timeline is full of people backing the sanctions and actions.  I'd rather get our house in order and rid it of the muck songs and try and move on.