Europa League 19/20 - Page 29 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I dont think it was the naivety of youth. 

These competitions were exciting and competitive because they didnt allow 3 or 4 teams from the best, I mean the richest leagues in europe.

The UEFA cup did.  The season Dundee Utd got to the final - 86/87 -. there were three Scottish teams in the competition. 

25 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Was it the naivety of youth or was the uefa and cup winners cup genuinely exciting in ways the Europa league will never be?

It was genuinely excitement of a cup competition where teams that normally don't play each other get a crack at the big guns. Now, a Connah's Quay unlikely to get near a Chelsea, or a Wrexham get at shot at a Milan.

Also, more specifically, they somehow managed to seem separate achievements, so the winners of the cup winners' cup was simply different from the European Cup, in the way the cup is different from the League. A different thing but not necessarily inferior, each one is worth winning in its own right.

But now, with the UEFA cup Europa League being loaded with European Cup Champions League failures, it automatically makes it a second class competition. 

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The whole competition is a waste if time. It's designed to keep certain teams at the top.

Ajax having to go through several qualifying rounds whilst spurs waltz through is an embarrassment to sporting integrity.

Sporting integrity..................remem er that 😂😂😂

Absolutely.

Edited by exile

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Pleasing, thanks for proving my point.

Re your age, you gave it away yourself on 'the number 1s the year you were born' thread some months ago.

No dumbo. You just thought that.

You have managed to do a complete barney here and make a complete prick out of yourself just like you did on the cancer thread.

Pleasing.

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Cancer thread??

WTF is that a reference to???

Barney. He accused me last night of being someone that offended a guy called Rossy. Still waiting for an apology. So anything he calls you I would take with a pinch of salt. A few people on here that just make things up. U don't. He does. Seemples. Scotland Forever 

42 minutes ago, exile said:

It was genuinely excitement of a cup competition where teams that normally don't play each other get a crack at the big guns. Now, a Connah's Quay unlikely to get near a Chelsea, or a Wrexham get at shot at a Milan.

Also, more specifically, they somehow managed to seem separate achievements, so the winners of the cup winners' cup was simply different from the European Cup, in the way the cup is different from the League. A different thing but not necessarily inferior, each one is worth winning in its own right.

But now, with the UEFA cup Europa League being loaded with European Cup Champions League failures, it automatically makes it a second class competition. 

Absolutely.

"Teams that normally dont play each other" 

That's one of the big issues. A small group of clubs are almost guaranteed a crack at the CL each year and will often play each other over and over.

I'm not taking anything away from Ronaldo in terms of talent but the records he and his former side real hold in the CL are a little unfair on previous record holders, ronaldo and his team have been allowed a yearly crack at the premier comp in europe for quite a long time now whereas theyd get the odd crack at it when they finished as champions only when it was the european cup

I doubt theres many fans out there who truly believe European competition is fair but not enough people care that the sporting element of football is dying. 

Edited by vanderark14

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I have much the same question. Going around the board giving his sagacious advice on how we should all improve our posting... like a pathetic wee puppy. 

Rossy got found out big style by Slasher.

I'm home for the Belgium game - tell me where you want to meet me beforehand so you can give it to me face to face.

I'll be in Tennents in Byres Road from 1500 on 9th September.

Where will you be, so we can have it out like men?

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

"Teams that normally dont play each other" 

That's one of the big issues. A small group of clubs are almost guaranteed a crack at the CL each year and will often play each other over and over.

I'm not taking anything away from Ronaldo in terms of talent but the records he and his former side real hold in the CL are a little unfair on previous record holders, ronaldo and his team have been allowed a yearly crack at the premier comp in europe for quite a long time now whereas theyd get the odd crack at it when they finished as champions only when it was the european cup

I doubt theres many fans out there who truly believe European competition is fair but not enough people care that the sporting element of football is dying. 

Yes that's a good point, about comparing records. Liverpool for example keep getting pitched into the CL even though that have not won the league since... [edit: insert facts: 1989/90, ie thirty years this season.]. 

So the fact they managed to win the sodding CL twice means it looks as if they are nearly as great as when they won it three times (?) in the 70s...

Even apart from the fairness of it, it devalues the CL as I cant accept Liverpool as "Champions of Europe" when they are not even Champions of England. 

Edited by exile

22 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Rossy got found out big style by Slasher.

I'm home for the Belgium game - tell me where you want to meet me beforehand so you can give it to me face to face.

I'll be in Tennents in Byres Road from 1500 on 9th September.

Where will you be, so we can have it out like men?

I used to frequent a boxing message board where this type of thing happened frequently. Asking for meetups with the inference that fisticuffs may ensue if said meeting ever took place. The TAMB is peaking/hitting new lows, depending on your point of view.

1 minute ago, morrie21 said:

I used to frequent a boxing message board where this type of thing happened frequently. Asking for meetups with the inference that fisticuffs may ensue if said meeting ever took place. The TAMB is peaking/hitting new lows, depending on your point of view.

Aye, somebody trying have a square go with a 77 year old. Out of order.

23 hours ago, thplinth said:

Stop bleating like cunts about the mods when yous continually reply to the same troll cunts you want them to ban. The mods are not the problem. In descending order ... the Trolls... the pricks who feed them over and over again... .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................  the mods.

23 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

This is a long shot, I know...

Could you please - just for once - post something in plain English without swear words (cunts, pricks etc)?

This is what started it...

Looking back I see that Barney was the one replying immediately before I posted it so I think he just had his feelings hurt and so had a go at the swearing, tourettes etc...

Leave me alone and I will generally leave you alone. Moving on.

5 minutes ago, exile said:

Yes that's a good point, about comparing records. Liverpool for example keep getting pitched into the CL even though that have not won the league since, I can't remember it's so long ago, before the Premier League existed if I recall. 

So the fact they managed to win the sodding CL twice means it looks as if they are nearly as great as when they won it three times (?) in the 70s...

Even apart from the fairness of it, it devalues the CL as I cant accept Liverpool as "Champions of Europe" when they are not even Champions of England. 

Sadly this opinion will become more redundant with every passing season. 

Farcical when you think about it. 

5 minutes ago, thplinth said:

This is what started it...

Looking back I see that Barney was the one replying immediately before I posted it so I think he just had his feelings hurt and so had a go at the swearing, tourettes etc...

Leave me alone and I will generally leave you alone. Moving on.

Tells it all..

So are you up for a face to face in Tennents pre the Belgium game?

Edited by Barney Rubble