Europa League 19/20 - Page 6 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 19/20

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

Who did they play in the next round after they knocked Celtic out?

Same team the Nobads will play after we beat them home and away?

My response was to the tit that was laughing at us actually winning a game away from home. Just stating there's far worse results, including his own side in almost the exact same circumstances (away, first game, new manager)

4 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Same team the Nobads will play after we beat them home and away?

My response was to the tit that was laughing at us actually winning a game away from home. Just stating there's far worse results, including his own side in almost the exact same circumstances (away, first game, new manager)

Fair enough. Personally I cheered when Killie scored the winner

37 minutes ago, Mox said:

At this stage of the competition it doesn't really matter how you get through, as long as you get through is the key.

Correct. 

Hopefully everyone negotiates a good few rounds this season. 

Apart from Rangers, Celtic and Killie 👍🏽

1 hour ago, Mox said:

At this stage of the competition it doesn't really matter how you get through, as long as you get through is the key.

Yes and no.

Of course the main thing is to get through but as each match counts towards the Coefficient (rather than the overall result), we really need clubs to be winning both matches against teams they should be beating.  

We started this year in 20th place. Our clubs see benefits (started competitions in later rounds) every time we move up a spot from 19th.  That 19th position could have been achieved had - 

• Celtic beat Lincoln Red Imps
  • Rangers beat Progres Niederkorn
  • Aberdeen beat Fola Esch
  • Hearts beat Birkirkara

This season, the countries we need to out perform are Serbia, Switzerland, Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Denmark and Czech Rep.  Beating teams home and away in the early rounds helps us do that, although getting through the ties and to the group stages are what really makes the big impact.  

6 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

What a strange thing to say

Why? It's like grown men wandering around on holiday wearing their team strip. Weird. 

If you need to belong to a "tribe" so badly that you have to always show their colours then there's something wrong with you. 

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Yes and no.

Of course the main thing is to get through but as each match counts towards the Coefficient (rather than the overall result), we really need clubs to be winning both matches against teams they should be beating.  

We started this year in 20th place. Our clubs see benefits (started competitions in later rounds) every time we move up a spot from 19th.  That 19th position could have been achieved had - 

• Celtic beat Lincoln Red Imps
  • Rangers beat Progres Niederkorn
  • Aberdeen beat Fola Esch
  • Hearts beat Birkirkara

This season, the countries we need to out perform are Serbia, Switzerland, Croatia, Greece, Cyprus, Denmark and Czech Rep.  Beating teams home and away in the early rounds helps us do that, although getting through the ties and to the group stages are what really makes the big impact.  

This is very true. Hopefully we'll see all 4 sides doing well this season and if we can get 3 or 4 into whichever Group Stage, it would only benefit the position. 

Obviously progressing out of the group would be even more useful, but one step at a time. 

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

This is very true. Hopefully we'll see all 4 sides doing well this season and if we can get 3 or 4 into whichever Group Stage, it would only benefit the position. 

Obviously progressing out of the group would be even more useful, but one step at a time. 

Given the number of rounds required to get through, I'd be shocked if there were 3 or 4 into group stages.

We need to have our teams starting to win both legs against teams that should be beaten in both legs, like the examples given above though.

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Given the number of rounds required to get through, I'd be shocked if there were 3 or 4 into group stages.

We need to have our teams starting to win both legs against teams that should be beaten in both legs, like the examples given above though.

Yep. Think I heard that the games last week, was the first time all Scottish sides had won in Europe, in the same week, for 19 years. 

Quite sad really but hopefully an indication of improvement. 

26 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Yep. Think I heard that the games last week, was the first time all Scottish sides had won in Europe, in the same week, for 19 years. 

I think it was more of an indication of the quality of the opposition. However, we've been know to start slow so pleasing to see no slip-ups. Another 4 wins this week are achievable. 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think it was more of an indication of the quality of the opposition. However, we've been know to start slow so pleasing to see no slip-ups. Another 4 wins this week are achievable. 

Indeed they are.

Can't help but fear there will be at least one draw in there though.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Sorry RB, my Saddo face was at the stat to detriment of of an upvote, and it's not half as miserable looking as my own.   Virtual up-vote for an improvement of course.

17 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Sorry RB, my Saddo face was at the stat to detriment of of an upvote, and it's not half as miserable looking as my own.   Virtual up-vote for an improvement of course.

No problem Jim. I got your intention, I think. 😊

On 7/15/2019 at 2:57 PM, RenfrewBlue said:

Why? It's like grown men wandering around on holiday wearing their team strip. Weird. 

If you need to belong to a "tribe" so badly that you have to always show their colours then there's something wrong with you. 

100% correct Mr RB

5 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think the three home sides will win.  Aberdeen could be the dodgy one but I think they'll be okay.  

Celtic -1

Rangers -3

Killie -2

Can see celtic having the toughest home game as Sarajevo didnt look too bad throughout. Rangers could win about 6 or 7 if they put their minds to it and Killie should hopefully play better and score a few

2 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Massive blown to Aberdeen's hopes of qualification tomorrow.

Michael Devlin hasn't travelled, so, that means there's a fair chance that Gash Taylor will start.

Consi in the middle Leigh at LB

Not that'll necessarily lighten your mood

SF

Taylor's nowhere near as bad as the usual moany bastard Dons fans like to make out. He's a decent and affordable back up and if his inclusion is the difference between us beating RoPS then we're pretty fucked anyway.

Looking at the Coefficient table I'd say it's realistic this season to overtake Serbia but perhaps not Cyprus who's teams do usually give a good account for themselves even if it's in the group stages of the Europa.

Essentially we would need to hope for Red Star to miss out on Champions League qualification (The should advance in this round however). The fact we have 4 teams with a strong chance of all still remaining in until the next round at least. On an individual results basis it's easy to expect both a Rangers and Killie win to boost points immediately. I'd settle for Aberdeen progressing. Winning away would be an achievement