Old age.. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My hearing is getting bad. I have actually started saying ‘Eh? ‘ when I haven't quite caught what someone has said. I thought that only happened in The Last of the Summer Wine and Father Ted. 

I also find myself repeating what someone has said back to them, by way of clarification.

Does anyone else do this ? 

39 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

My hearing is getting bad. I have actually started saying ‘Eh? ‘ when I haven't quite caught what someone has said. I thought that only happened in The Last of the Summer Wine and Father Ted. 

I also find myself repeating what someone has said back to them, by way of clarification.

You might be turning into one of those really annoying auld codgers who automatically say "Eh?" every time somebody says something to them. Then when you are half way through repeating yourself they start to answer you. They have heard perfectly well what you said, it's just an automatic thing they do to buy some time before replying. A lot of them get quite angry when you point out to them what they are doing. I think most of them don't realise they are doing it. 

42 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

You might be turning into one of those really annoying auld codgers who automatically say "Eh?" every time somebody says something to them. Then when you are half way through repeating yourself they start to answer you. They have heard perfectly well what you said, it's just an automatic thing they do to buy some time before replying. A lot of them get quite angry when you point out to them what they are doing. I think most of them don't realise they are doing it. 

😁 I think you could be right ! Quite often I think I know what they have said, but maybe missed the first few words, then when they start to repeat themselves I know what they have said . I think it might be a bit of a satellite delay between my ear and brain, as much as  bad hearing.
It mostly happens with Mr Tidy as he mumbles and I just make up what I think he has said. 
I do realise I am doing it though which is at least something , I will need to stop it before it becomes a bad habit. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

😁 I think you could be right ! Quite often I think I know what they have said, but maybe missed the first few words, then when they start to repeat themselves I know what they have said . I think it might be a bit of a satellite delay between my ear and brain, as much as  bad hearing.
It mostly happens with Mr Tidy as he mumbles and I just make up what I think he has said. 
I do realise I am doing it though which is at least something , I will need to stop it before it becomes a bad habit. 

Maybe you can blame social distancing, further away from people. 

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I think there is a very good chance that you are the only person who thinks Mr Tidy mumbles. That could mean that he only mumbles around round you, which could be due to fear and long term subjugation. Or, it could be just your excuse for not paying attention. 

It's time to come over to the dark side? I joined a Vet's team at the time they changed the age to 35 and over, thought no problem i can stroll through this like Beckenbauer, nope ended up blowing through mae  erse. Next step Army referee course have not looked back 61 and still doing it and loving it.

4 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Maybe you can blame social distancing, further away from people. 

I gonna hold onto that thought Lairdy 👍

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think there is a very good chance that you are the only person who thinks Mr Tidy mumbles. That could mean that he only mumbles around round you, which could be due to fear and long term subjugation. Or, it could be just your excuse for not paying attention. 

😮as if !

I am a wee pussycat in real life,  the only time I get to  be a strong woman is on here,  and I am no even very good at that. 

‘Mumbles ’ may have been a bit harsh 🤔 He has bad sinuses, people often think he has the cold, so probably ‘ muffles’ is more accurate.
When someone has a blocked up nose and the other person has poor hearing it can cause problems.

Its like being in an episode of The Clangers. 

42 minutes ago, Clootie Dumpling said:

It's time to come over to the dark side? I joined a Vet's team at the time they changed the age to 35 and over, thought no problem i can stroll through this like Beckenbauer, nope ended up blowing through mae  erse. Next step Army referee course have not looked back 61 and still doing it and loving it.

Is it like Dad’s Army ? 

I'll never forget the look of horror on my wife's face when she realised one of my farts had just gone spectacularly wrong.  Don't know what hurt more - being asked as a 40 year old bloke if I'd just shit myself with such disdain it was dripping from her voice like the jobby from my boxers or; that she was more worried for the new carpet than the state of my inner mechanisms.   

I'm now no longer allowed to eat mayonnaise.  

On 9/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, TDYER63 said:

Big Ramy, Dandydunn and our new member ‘WCTA’ 🙄,  all on a golf course. With 3 sets of clubs. What could possibly go wrong. 

You may as well throw in Kumnio. 

Maybe over a year late, but first time Ive read this @TDYER63 but what have I done, I certainly wouldnt be attacking the wee Canadian with a club. 

3 hours ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'll never forget the look of horror on my wife's face when she realised one of my farts had just gone spectacularly wrong.  Don't know what hurt more - being asked as a 40 year old bloke if I'd just shit myself with such disdain it was dripping from her voice like the jobby from my boxers or; that she was more worried for the new carpet than the state of my inner mechanisms.   

I'm now no longer allowed to eat mayonnaise.  

😂 sure it was mayo dripping?

7 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

If that's a bit heavy for you, I also can't hear anything above 6KHz, can't see fuck all without ebay 2.5+ specs. Reckon I could be on deaf/blind spectrum. Old age, pah...........

My auld man (82) refuses to get his eyes tested apparently his eyes are fine. On a few occasions I've caught him reading the papers using 2 old pairs of glasses, wearing one pair while holding the other pair in front of the first pair to bring the print into focus 😆

19 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Eh?

13 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Cooking in Isolation just got desperate?

Guts have been funny since had food poisoning in my late teens that was so bad it shut down a kebab house in Stoke.  However, it’s now got to the point I have to run a Tier system much like government:

Tier 1: Stay Alert; Control your anus and; Save Wife.

Tier 2 Dairy: Don’t eat out beyond 6pm in the company of strangers unless resident in a hotel where your room is on first couple of floors.  Spend prolonged periods outside drinking hoping it’s not that cold that the stench of your farts cling to you no matter how much you move about.  Bowling and Gyms banned as overstretching could spell disaster – similarly soft play areas if need to chase offspring arises.  Face coverings recommended. 

Tier 3 Mayonnaise/ Cream:  Ring work and tell them self-isolating for a week; ring wife’s work and tell them she’s self-isolating for a week; ring school and tell them wee lass is self-isolating for a week and; ring Andy Burnham to see if he can get a couple of quid out of Boris to see us through the worst. 

Tier 4 Pissed up Kebab: Sleep on toilet or risk imposition of martial law as been told umpteen times what not to do but obviously too fucking stupid listen.      

11 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

If that's a bit heavy for you, I also can't hear anything above 6KHz, can't see fuck all without ebay 2.5+ specs. Reckon I could be on deaf/blind spectrum. Old age, pah...........

I feel your pain . I am on Primark 2 lens. I buy 4 pairs at a time.
When my daughter was a baby I could not go anywhere without at least 3 dummies as she screamed so much. I would break out in a sweat if we forgot them.

I now break out in a sweat if I go anywhere without my specs , I can see the mother/child positions beginning to swap 😕