Old age.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just blew my knee out playing football today. I coach my son who is 16. I arranged a match between his side and the Dads today. Its Fathers Day . Aye, so guess what, Big Ramy trying to be a smartarse and nutmeg my son, ends up blowing the knee out. Never had this problem before. I guess when you hit 50, the mind sais YES, but the legs say no. Anyone else in this boat of getting old and thinking you can still be Pele. 🤣🤣

Aye, it’s a brutal feeling. 43 now and still fit, but that wee burst of pace has long gone. On my way to 5s I still get that wee bit excitement before the game, on the way home I feel sad. Still have it in my heid and try to play like I did 20 years ago, wee bit trickery and skin the opponent unfortunately the legs just don’t work like they used to. Never get that back. Shan times 😔

I'm 67 and long ago realised that you can't play football against teenagers simply because of the pace.  I help to coach a U15 Girls team and occasionally join in with training games to make up the numbers, and find that if you anticipate and stand off slightly rather than trying to get to the ball first you can more often than not get possession.  Your technical ability doesn't really diminish with age, just the strength and speed to enable you to carry out what you want to do.  If you can still pass the ball accurately and control a ball coming at you, you can at least take part and contribute; what you can't do is win a sprint so work round that.  Playing centreback isn't too taxing but playing as a striker is probably a different matter.  I tried walking football, which was really just fairly slow running football the way we agreed to play it, and that was a skoosh.

The one thing you find is that you get injured a lot more easily - bruises, sprains, pulled muscles and rib injuries, minor stuff like that which takes longer to heal.

12 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Just blew my knee out playing football today. I coach my son who is 16. I arranged a match between his side and the Dads today. Its Fathers Day . Aye, so guess what, Big Ramy trying to be a smartarse and nutmeg my son, ends up blowing the knee out. Never had this problem before. I guess when you hit 50, the mind sais YES, but the legs say no. Anyone else in this boat of getting old and thinking you can still be Pele. 🤣🤣

Dont worry, in a few years the mind will have forgotten you ever played football 😕

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, WCTA said:

Ramy’s mind forgot what flavour of syrup he had on his pancakes this morning! 😄

I actually prefer jam on ma pancakes. 🙂. On another note, ma knee is fucked. Seems I have cartilage damage and may require minor surgery. So that's me buggered from playing football for the winter indoor season. All because I tried to nutmeg ma son. 🤣

1 minute ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I actually prefer jam on ma pancakes. 🙂. On another note, ma knee is fucked. Seems I have cartilage damage and may require minor surgery. So that's me buggered from playing football for the winter indoor season. All because I tried to nutmeg ma son. 🤣

I’m visiting your way next May ya walloper. I’ve always wanted to see Perth close to where you are as it is seemingly modelled on the real Perth. They even have a River Tay. Then I’m timing it with catching up with Teeko in Toronto.

12 hours ago, WCTA said:

I’m visiting your way next May ya walloper. I’ve always wanted to see Perth close to where you are as it is seemingly modelled on the real Perth. They even have a River Tay. Then I’m timing it with catching up with Teeko in Toronto.

Perth is gorgeous mate. I used to have a caravan along the water in Perth. It was voted one of the best places to live in Canada, no joke. When you come over, give me a heads up, I take you round there if you like mate. Show you Ottawa as well, bo bother.. 👍🙂

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Perth is gorgeous mate. I used to have a caravan along the water in Perth. It was voted one of the best places to live in Canada, no joke. When you come over, give me a heads up, I take you round there if you like mate. Show you Ottawa as well, bo bother.. 👍🙂

@dandydunn is coming also though. Are you sure you’ll be ok together @Big Ramy 1314?

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Big Ramy, Dandydunn and our new member ‘WCTA’ 🙄,  all on a golf course. With 3 sets of clubs. What could possibly go wrong. 

You may as well throw in Kumnio. 

Kumnio’s too busy throwing darts intae pictures of Nicol Stephen. 

15 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Big Ramy, Dandydunn and our new member ‘WCTA’ 🙄,  all on a golf course. With 3 sets of clubs. What could possibly go wrong. 

You may as well throw in Kumnio. 

You just know Big Ramy is like Happy Gilmore complete with an ice hockey stick for a club.