Copa America 2019 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Copa America 2019

Starting tonight (well 0130 Sat AM for the opening game). Should be an interesting tournament. Premier Sports are showing it over here. Japan and Qatar the invited teams this time. Pretty good preview piece by Tim Vickery here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600098

The stat about Brazil having won the Copa each time they have hosted it is pretty amazing and will pile the pressure on them this time.

Who's gonna be watching? Who ya got? 

I reckon Uruguay could be streetwise enough to get it done this time.

3 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Uruguay for me. Have a look at their squad. Still solid in defence and attack with Godin/Gimenez from Atletico Madrid, and Suarez and Cavani. But it's the young players who have come into top teams this season that could do it for them. Bentancur, Torreira and Valverde in midfield look promising.

What price are they to win it  ?

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

OK they're 7/1. Probably going to double that up with Suarez top scorer.

here’s me thinking your one of the more polite posters on here I think you have been radicalised by the tamb think I might put a wee £20 on them . Ps got a nice big gammon joint for tomorrow any advice would be greatly appreciated as the best way to cook it  🤣

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

My name's not fucking Alexa. You've obviously got the internet so look it up yourself you lazy bastard 🤔

Exactly the type of interchange that the TAMB is famous for.

Polite and informative.

Well plaid.

1 hour ago, wheres the pies said:

here’s me thinking your one of the more polite posters on here I think you have been radicalised by the tamb think I might put a wee £20 on them . Ps got a nice big gammon joint for tomorrow any advice would be greatly appreciated as the best way to cook it  🤣

Neither is my name Gordon fucking Rams....oh ok then, boil it for an hour in a big pan of water with a chopped onion. Peel off the outer skin, score the fat in a diamond pattern and cover in a glaze of treacle, orange juice, mustard and any other flavours you fancy. Oven at 220 for 10 mins then down to 170 for about 30-40 mins. The fat will be the bits getting fought over. If it's a really big gammon then increase both cooking times. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, morrie21 said:

Starting tonight (well 0130 Sat AM for the opening game). Should be an interesting tournament. Premier Sports are showing it over here. Japan and Qatar the invited teams this time. Pretty good preview piece by Tim Vickery here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600098

The stat about Brazil having won the Copa each time they have hosted it is pretty amazing and will pile the pressure on them this time.

Who's gonna be watching? Who ya got? 

I reckon Uruguay could be streetwise enough to get it done this time.

Doesn't the above just make the whole thing a joke ?

Brazil and Saudi Arabia to be invited to the next Euros maybe ?

40 minutes ago, fringo said:

Maybe, but they need an extra two teams to make a workable structure to the competition. 

Edited by McTeeko

16 hours ago, fringo said:

I don't think it makes it a joke - there is no qualifying competition for Copa America due to the small number of nations in CONMEBOL and they need to work with a suitable number for the tournament format. Normally CONCACAF provides the additional teams and due to the geographical proximity no one really notices. Mexico and one other normally get the shout but this year the Gold Cup is taking place at the same time so none of those teams were available.

Copa America is occurring next year to bring it in line with the same cycle as the Euros so perhaps in editions to come we may see European teams who haven't qualified playing in it although the CONCACAF teams will be available when they move to this cycle.

Brazil and Saudi Arabia being invited to the Euros would render the qualifying process for that pointless. UEFA has an abundance of nations in it so they don't need to go down that road.

5 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

Why don't Suriname and Guyana play in this? I'm sure they're both classed as South America, wouldn't need to invite teams if they were involved 

For some reason those associations are members of CONCACAF

1 hour ago, The Golden Vision said:

Two invited teams - why am I just finding this out...

AND more to the point why aren't the SFA on the charm offensive to get us an invite next time.

it would be great. 

I'm away to change.org to get a petition going....

ha ha - I have often thought how good this would be. It would be a good trip for the fans and would give the players invaluable experience of playing in a tournament. Imagine the outcry from the clubs though if Scotland were involved in this edition of the Copa.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the Copa is from next summer moving to the same year as the Euros which opens up opportunities for European countries who fail to qualify to play in a tournament I guess. I'd love to find out more about what goes on behind the scenes in terms of how they decide who gets invited, how early the start putting it together etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Knock-out stage of this has been reached.

QFs - Brazil v Paraguay - Friday 0130

Venezuela v Argentina - Friday 2000

Colombia v Chile - Saturday 0000

Uruguay v Peru - Saturday 2000

I fancy Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Uruguay to advance but expect Chile to give Colombia a tough time and Argentina, well can't fully trust them but they do look to be improving slowly game by game since they lost their opening fixture to Colombia.

Enjoy the quarters...

I actually fly out to Colombia on Friday night, by the time we land hopefully they’ve won! We’ll see both semi-finals over there but desperately hoping Colombia reach the Final as that weekend we’re heading along to Barranquilla to meet up with our World Cup pals from last year. It’ll be magic to watch Colombia in the Final with them! 👍🏼🇨🇴 

On 6/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, morrie21 said:

ha ha - I have often thought how good this would be. It would be a good trip for the fans and would give the players invaluable experience of playing in a tournament. Imagine the outcry from the clubs though if Scotland were involved in this edition of the Copa.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the Copa is from next summer moving to the same year as the Euros which opens up opportunities for European countries who fail to qualify to play in a tournament I guess. I'd love to find out more about what goes on behind the scenes in terms of how they decide who gets invited, how early the start putting it together etc.

would much rather Scotland played in a Copa than qualified for Qatar