Cancer... - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Very touchy subject I know, but is it me or is cancer just really getting out of hand. I have had 2 mates at work pass away in the last year, and another mate who is 34 years young just diagnosed with terminal cancer of the spine. I don't know, but everytime I turn around someone I know or heard of has been affected by this horrible disease. I honestly only found out that every human being has cancer in them, just whether it wants to reap its ugly head is up to your luck. My wife is a nutritionist as is adamant eating healthy can reduce the risk, I agree, it makes sense. But, it is very scary indeed to know that it is just sitting there waiting,  so to speak.. Live your life man, enjoy. Sorry for the post, just gutted about my mate, it's so unfair....

Have to get this off my chest. With all the breakthroughs in research and medicine, is it possible there is a cure and we have not been told? As horrible as it sounds, the money the pharmaceuticals would lose in drug treatment would cripple them, but what price does a human life have to pay?? Just my opinion....

rather than eat healthy - i think there is more value in not eating unhealthy

load of stuff loaded in food nowadays, did not happen 60 years ago

I wonder what is actually inside all these concoctions  of food nowadays - processed food etc - I try to cut down processed food & never eat ready meals 

1 minute ago, euan2020 said:

rather than eat healthy - i think there is more value in not eating unhealthy

load of stuff loaded in food nowadays, did not happen 60 years ago

I wonder what is actually inside all these concoctions  of food nowadays - processed food etc - I try to cut down processed food & never eat ready meals 

Exactly mate. My wife is very careful on what we eat now being a nutritionist. You are bang on. All the pesticides that are spared on foods, and all these artificial ingredients must be a concern as 20 years ago cancer was not near as bad as it is now..

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Horrible to hear that.

No it isn't just you.

Stay safe and stay strong.

Lost two of the missus' parents to Alzheimers in the last couple of years. About to lose my own mother too. It's fucking horrible mate.

Please stay strong.

Nice one mate... Sorry for your loss..

Uncle of mine passed on yesterday.  He was first diagnosed six years ago, had multiple cancers, pancreas, liver, melanoma.  When he was diagnosed he was basically told it was terminal but he had six years of pretty good quality of life that he probably wouldn't have gotten even ten years ago.    The advances in treating and curing cancer have been huge over the years.

Edited by aaid

7 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Exactly mate. My wife is very careful on what we eat now being a nutritionist. You are bang on. All the pesticides that are spared on foods, and all these artificial ingredients must be a concern as 20 years ago cancer was not near as bad as it is now..

I don't think cancer is any more prevalent now than it was 20 years ago.  It's probably a case that you are getting to an age when people you know are being diagnosed.   

27 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Jesus Christ. What is it with you?

You're 56 years of age.

Behave yourself.

It’s an interesting topic, somewhat related to my thread on diabetes. 

There’s apparently a lot of Health benefits in therapeutic fasting as well. 

I’m not sure to what extent cancer / Alzheimer’s etc are linked to lifestyle. It’s a pretty scary thought. 

Try and eat a whole food diet without meat or dairy as much as possible, do intermittent fasting, exercise etc but you just don’t know what’s round the corner.

I am a Bagpiper, in saying that, I am the official Piper for the Ottawa Cancer society. I have played my Pipes for their cancer survivors gala for the last 4 years. It is very emotional. 700 in attendance, cancer survivors stand behind me as I Pipe them in. It brings a tear to my eye as I am Piping them in as I know how brave these people are. I also Pipe for the Lung association when they have charity events. It is amazing what playing the Pipes can do for people you don't even know.. Just makes me feel good inside... 

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Jesus Christ. What is it with you?

You're 56 years of age.

Behave yourself.

You were probably saying the same thing to folk saying use weed for epilepsy or Parkinson symptoms.

People don't realise Big Pharma is the main lobby group in most western countries.

The OP seemed to be asking about things out there that might help and he also mentioned nutrition so I thought it was a very relevant article. If I was diagnosed with cancer this is the first thing I would do. It takes 72 hours to provoke ketosis and it effectively denies cancer fuel if you read what they are saying. But probably better to keep it low carb as a preventative measure than a reactive one.

Barney, you can go fuck yourself.

17 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Im not sure if the keto diet has any influence on cancer. What I do know is that those on it are among the most boring bastards on the planet, up there with CrossFit gimps. That is all. 

It was developed to help epileptics and other specific conditions. Not sure why they would be boring, but prejudices take all shapes and forms.

The fact you're encountering crossfit gimps means you're hanging out at the wrong places, I've never met one.

" The ketogenic diet (KD) is a high fat, low carbohydrate, controlled protein diet that has been used since the 1920s for the treatment of epilepsy. The diet is a medical treatment"

Edited by phart

Just a dig at the kinda twats we have at work, as others do im sure, that make their big display of chomping down on their chicken and whatever else it is every 17 minutes whilst sporting that glaekit look that begs people to ask them about their diet. 

6 minutes ago, Farcity said:

Just a dig at the kinda twats we have at work, as others do im sure, that make their big display of chomping down on their chicken and whatever else it is every 17 minutes whilst sporting that glaekit look that begs people to ask them about their diet. 

anyone who needs to make weight for their work (most likely sport) will have to go on the diet as it's effective in weight loss as well.

Although as you say anyone who makes it central to their own identity are tedious to be around.

29 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The OP seemed to be asking about things out there that might help and he also mentioned nutrition so I thought it was a very relevant article. If I was diagnosed with cancer this is the first thing I would do. It takes 72 hours to provoke ketosis and it effectively denies cancer fuel if you read what they are saying. But probably better to keep it low carb as a preventative measure than a reactive one.

Barney, you can go fuck yourself.

Even earlier if you just fast apparently 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Even earlier if you just fast apparently 

I have been meaning to circle back to the diabetes thread you started and nearly posted earlier without watching it to enquire if the cure was low carb diet. I am sure it is one route at least. It can reverse type II for sure and I have read amazing things even about type I. When you start to total up the health benefits you really start to question if carbs are the source of a huge amount of our health problems. Sugar for sure is poison IMHO. 

I’ll watch it later when I have time.

I recall a few years ago where they found a connection between some cancers and our growth hormones

They found a tribe of indigenous pygmies who had met civilization decades ago

They had taken on some of our bad habits and were enjoying booze and fags for fun

Not one of them developed cancer

So basically breathing causes cancer (free radicals, by products of oxygen) and so does growing up

58 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I have been meaning to circle back to the diabetes thread you started and nearly posted earlier without watching it to enquire if the cure was low carb diet. I am sure it is one route at least. It can reverse type II for sure and I have read amazing things even about type I. When you start to total up the health benefits you really start to question if carbs are the source of a huge amount of our health problems. Sugar for sure is poison IMHO

I’ll watch it later when I have time.

Here's a pic of a member of one of the healthiest tribes on the planet poisoning themself.

140414163516-hadza-tribe-tanzania-honeyc