Cancer... - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

15 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’m not sure to what extent cancer / Alzheimer’s etc are linked to lifestyle. It’s a pretty scary thought. 

Try and eat a whole food diet without meat or dairy as much as possible, do intermittent fasting, exercise etc but you just don’t know what’s round the corner.

Indeed. My dad was 77 and fit as a flea, playing three games of golf a week, and looked 10 years younger than that. The medication he was receiving for a relatively minor stomach complaint destroyed his bone marrow (aplastic anaemia) and he was dead in six months. As you say, you just don't know what's around the corner. Enjoy life. 

Edited by Stapes

10 hours ago, duncan II said:

You say that, it's not that simple in reality. Not everyone is the same, not everyone has the same reactions to food. I have ulcerative colitis. I can no longer handle many fruits and vegetables. And different people with my condition have all sorts of varying experiences with different foods. Sometimes when I'm flaring, for example, the unhealthiest food is all I can handle. It's a fucked up condition and it has fucked up my life.

Things ain't  black and white. And there are all sorts of variables.

Sorry to hear that Duncan and I completely agree. Pre-existing medical conditions should be considered before making any big changes. Talk to your doctor etc..

Low carb is not fruit and vegetables by the way (sure you can eat (some of) them if you want but that is not what it is about really). It is a bit of misnomer 'low carb', because it is actually 'high fat' as fat is what you replace the carbs with. 

14 hours ago, phart said:

Anyway on the sugar issue. Here's the difference in the "poisoning" and why putting a picture of someone eating sugar in comparison with our diets is entirely facile.

Sugar isn’t poison, but it definitely isn’t good for you. One sugar in particular (glucose) lies at the core of virtually all of the metabolic reactions going on in your body because it is the primary molecule from which your body “knows” how to get energy. Most of what you eat that’s going to be consumed for energy gets converted into glucose before it gets metabolized.

Given its prominent role in metabolic energy pathways, your body cares a lot about how much glucose is present in both cells and the blood. It has multiple overlapping surveillance pathways that constantly monitor how much glucose is present, and mechanisms for altering its concentration if necessary. Your body has a finely tuned concentration of blood glucose (blood sugar) that it prefers, and it will go to great lengths to keep it there.

Most non-processed foods that we eat force the body and metabolism to “work” (in a sense) for its sugar. Complex carbohydrates have to be broken down into their constituent parts, fats have to be metabolized into sugars, and non-digestible fiber has to be slowly broken down to grant your digestive system access to molecules that will themselves be slowly converted into sugar. In other words, most foods lead to gradual increases in blood sugar because they slowly release sugars.

Foods containing added refined sugars, on the other hand, release those sugars all at once. Your body responds to this rapid increase in blood sugar by making and secreting insulin, which tells cells that there’s an excess of sugar in the blood and that any cells that can should start hoarding and warehousing sugar while it’s around. High levels of insulin essentially instruct your body to start using sugar to make fat. Chronic high levels of insulin will eventually cause your cells to start ignoring it, which causes your body to make and secrete even more insulin; this is the downward spiral that eventually leads to diabetes.

Readily available sugar strongly interferes with your body’s ability to regulate itself, which is why it’s so much more problematic than most other things you can eat. However, our palates love sugar, which is why industrial food producers add it to almost everything. Every time you eat something processed, you’re probably also unwittingly consuming added sugars that interfere with the delicate process of balancing your blood sugar. It’s not a problem if it’s occasional, but if you’re anything like the typical American, it’s way more than occasional!

Was really just a taster(see what I did there) for anyone that might have been interested in doing a bit of research into a healthy high sugar diet and also repudiating the 'sugar poison' drivel.

35 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Was really just a taster(see what I did there) for anyone that might have been interested in doing a bit of research into a healthy high sugar diet and also repudiating the 'sugar poison' drivel.

What’s a healthy high sugar diet?

5 hours ago, Farcity said:

Can things like mobile phones and microwaves etc have any part in the apparent increase? Everyone is constantly walking around with phones plastered to their ears, microwave ovens now cook things in minutes that used to take hours, I can't imagine all these waves have a positive effect on the body. 

ionising radiation can do it . That's radiation with a lot more power. Very carcinogenic, with lower level radiation like electricity there isn't a known mechanism for it to happen.

50 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

What’s a healthy high sugar diet?

He posted a picture from an NPr documentary about 200 Hadza tribesmen and totally misrepresented their diet and why they are healthy.

You can read about it here. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/24/545631521/is-the-secret-to-a-healthier-microbiome-hidden-in-the-hadza-diet

"In a way, the Western diet — low in fiber and high in refined sugars — is basically wiping out species of bacteria from our intestines."

Anyway isn't there a more complete method of blackout if i can see posts when someone else quotes them, it's defeating the purpose of ignore.

EDIT: Here's the paper for anyone interested https://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6353/802

Edited by phart

18 minutes ago, phart said:

He posted a picture from an NPr documentary about 200 Hadza tribesmen and totally misrepresented their diet and why they are healthy.

You can read about it here. https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/08/24/545631521/is-the-secret-to-a-healthier-microbiome-hidden-in-the-hadza-diet

"In a way, the Western diet — low in fiber and high in refined sugars — is basically wiping out species of bacteria from our intestines."

Anyway isn't there a more complete method of blackout if i can see posts when someone else quotes them, it's defeating the purpose of ignore.

EDIT: Here's the paper for anyone interested https://science.sciencemag.org/content/357/6353/802

A lot of shite in that post to go through however I'll just concentrate on the bit I highlighted, you'll just have to get all your TAMB pals to stop quoting me.

Edited by Eisegerwind

1 minute ago, Eisegerwind said:

Mostly, yes, but you don't need to assume, a quick google will give you all the detail.

I’ll read about it later on.

in terms of sugar poison, I think that was in the context of added sugar and not the natural sugars in fruit 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’ll read about it later on.

in terms of sugar poison, I think that was in the context of added sugar and not the natural sugars in fruit 

I don't think it was that, I think it was labelling a building block of life as a  poison because he doesn't have a clue what he's on about and any old internet shite will do to support his case.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, phart said:

just ignore him. Never offers anything, reminds me of Larky in fact that way.

We should all agree to just put them on ignore and we can go on having conversations without he negativity, it's not like we're actually being intellectually held to account or anything.

OK i've done it. up to everyone else.

Larky Masher, yeah, I quite liked him, where are they now?

Edited by Eisegerwind

I feel there is a cure for sure, but we are not allowed it, there's no money in that. The fact that T Mays hubby has majority shares/ownersbip in the UK's biggest  medicinal cannabis growing  and exporting company, yet it's not available here should be screaming at folk too.

One thing I know for sure is that if I was unfortunate enough to get cancer the last thing I'd be doing is chemo, fuck that.

There was a woman here in Barrhead who was terminal and was being denied a life extending drug by the NHS, it took her having to go and meet Sturgeon and discuss it for it to be available to her, but now across Scotland too, that's her legacy. She got another 8 months with her husband and teenage daughters. 

Sorry I've ranted and probably gone slightly off topic but there are some points in there.

Ramy I'm sorry for your friends and hope that they can get through it man x

On 6/13/2019 at 6:35 PM, Ally Bongo said:

I recall a few years ago where they found a connection between some cancers and our growth hormones

They found a tribe of indigenous pygmies who had met civilization decades ago

They had taken on some of our bad habits and were enjoying booze and fags for fun

Not one of them developed cancer

So basically breathing causes cancer (free radicals, by products of oxygen) and so does growing up

My cousin died at 18 from cancer. It started in his leg at 15 and he had the lower part of his leg amputated. Things seemed encouraging for a few months but it came back. Unfortunately his age was against him. Growth spurts at that age meant the cancer cells multiplied faster. He would have had a much better chance of  survival had he been a few years younger, or older,  when he was first diagnosed. So growing up can have a part to play . 

Thing is, when someone has stage 4 cancer, it has spread all through the body, lymphnodes, organs, it is painful to watch. My wife's best friend died of ovarian cancer last year. She was in utter agony right up till she passed on. They just kept pumping her full of morphine.It is almost cruel to let a human being suffer like that knowing they are definitely going to die. I know her husband was pleading with the doctors to administer a drug to let her pass away rather than watching his wife suffer in agony. I totally agree, but that is a whole other arguement. Horrible disease...

On 6/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Have to get this off my chest. With all the breakthroughs in research and medicine, is it possible there is a cure and we have not been told? As horrible as it sounds, the money the pharmaceuticals would lose in drug treatment would cripple them, but what price does a human life have to pay?? Just my opinion....

If every disease was cured the population would be even further out of control to the point where earth would not be sustainable.

Uncomfortable truth.

The only conspiracy theory I believe is that cancer probably does have a cure.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:37 PM, thplinth said:

Go low carb. You will be amazed how better you feel. It is not easy though...

I agree with this.  I have started eating fruit for lunch on most weekdays, with no carbs until teatime.  I find it helps me lose weight quite quickly.  Generally works up until Thursdays when I often go out in the evening for a meal with my Italian friends, and that adds most of the weight back on again as the amount of pasta served is huge.  The general weight trend is downwards, but it's noticeably better when carb input is reduced, and once you lose the first few pounds, you feel a lot better.  I do think though that sugar reduction is very important too, and it also helps if you avoid alcohol.  I say avoid, but I really mean reduce by about 5%.

Not sure this idea that cancer has always been as prevalent is true. It was much rarer in the past was my understanding but has gone big time in much more recent times for some reason... I think this was found out based on testing bodies from antiquity etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, thplinth said:

I cannot encourage you enough to get that sugary stuff down your throat. I implore you to eat as much as you can. Seriously eat a shot load of it.

Thanks for the nutritional advice. Just spent a couple of weeks, walking ,running, excercising, eating processed and unprocessed sugar ( a shot load of it) feeling great. A sort of Hazda break.

• 2 weeks later...

Study by French researchers published in the BMJ.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-48939671

Sugary drinks - including fruit juice and fizzy pop - may increase the risk of cancer, French scientists say.

The link was suggested by a study, published in the British Medical Journal, that followed more than 100,000 people for five years.

The team at Université Sorbonne Paris Cité speculate that the impact of blood sugar levels may be to blame.

Fill your blood full of 'cancer food' and it is not that surprising...

On 6/18/2019 at 1:48 PM, Alibi said:

I agree with this.  I have started eating fruit for lunch on most weekdays, with no carbs until teatime.  I find it helps me lose weight quite quickly.  Generally works up until Thursdays when I often go out in the evening for a meal with my Italian friends, and that adds most of the weight back on again as the amount of pasta served is huge.  The general weight trend is downwards, but it's noticeably better when carb input is reduced, and once you lose the first few pounds, you feel a lot better.  I do think though that sugar reduction is very important too, and it also helps if you avoid alcohol.  I say avoid, but I really mean reduce by about 5%.

It is great. I am currently avoiding carbs again (sugar always but I have a weakness for bread) and yet again I am wondering why I ever stopped (avoiding carbs). If you can keep them below 50g per day or better 30g per day and keep it going for a few months it will reverse type 2 diabetes amongst other things. You can eat as much as you want (which will be a lot less and without hunger) and at the same time you will lose any excess weight.  I honestly believe it is how we are supposed to eat. As for the booze I drink white wine. It has calories sure but it is very low carb so you can get away with it. 

People do not understand the metabolic reaction to carbs. A snickers marathon bar has a glycemic index of 55 (pure glucose being 100) but white bread has a GI of 70 and a baked potato is 85. On the other hand you could eat a solid block of lard and it has zero effect on blood sugar as fat has a GI of 0.

Edited by thplinth