Crocker - Sky - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crocker - Sky

GaryWood34

• 4 weeks later...

Crocker has loads of critics but let's remember he's been doing comms on Scottish football for about 25 years now so has done it co-inciding with worst historical run for the national team.

Even though he's not Scottish by assocation he'd have felt something tonight when Marshall saved the penalty and you could feel that in his voice.

Provan will be raging we qualified 

His weird grudge against the national team he once played for is such a sad, petty thing too. All because Jock Stein dropped him for a game he (Provan) had previously been told he would definitely play in and then making highly dubious claims he was verbally abused by the Scotland support. Strange bloke.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

On 10/14/2020 at 7:47 PM, kumnio said:

I dont mind Crocker, must be hard speaking about constant failure.

Provan however is a complete and utter prick. Skys team on Scottish football is utterly abysmal, Darren Fletcher aside, they are all cunts.

I want to say exactly this.     Crocker talks a lot about failure but he has fuck all to play with. 

Maybe being generous following yesterday but on watching the highlights he did seem genuinely more excited at our goal than theirs.  I would also say though that he struggles on their goal to contain not pissing himself laughing at us doing the usual - end of the day he is English so must be funny as f@ck really for him.

the debate about Crocker (and Provan) has been rumbling for years. Personally I really dislike him as a commentator but don't mind Provan as a summariser - though understand why some dislike the latter. All in all though, and given all the changes at Sky, some enforced and some just through freshening things up, are these two really the best that they can do/the best they can give us? 

I have kind of grown to accept him...  but it doesn’t feel right having a non scot commentate.  I want it to mean something.  I’m from an era of Archie and Arthur.  There were a few Scottish commentators that i didn’t take to - Jock Brown, James Sanderson spring to mind.

14 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I have kind of grown to accept him...  but it doesn’t feel right having a non scot commentate.  I want it to mean something.  I’m from an era of Archie and Arthur.  There were a few Scottish commentators that i didn’t take to - Jock Brown, James Sanderson spring to mind.

Jock Brown was a bit of a dick but Jimmy Sanderson ? He's a legend.

"Were you at the game?" 

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Do you object to Steven Reid and John Carver being part of our national team then ?

14 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Do you object to Steven Reid and John Carver being part of our national team then ?

That's an entirely different debate surely?

The poster was saying he'd rather hear a Scottish accent commentating on Scotland. You can agree with that and be fine with Steve Clarke picking his own backroom team.

1 minute ago, Sempre said:

That's an entirely different debate surely?

The poster was saying he'd rather hear a Scottish accent commentating on Scotland. You can agree with that and be fine with Steve Clarke picking his own backroom team.

I don't see the difference at all.

Crocker is a prick but his nationality doesn't come into it for me. That's something I won't criticise.

In fact I'd much rather listen to Ian Wright co-commentate on a Scotland game rather than Davie Provan.

15 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Should Bill McLaren not have commentated on England rugby games then? Everyone has their own favourite commentators but I really don’t think a TV company should only employ a person of a specific nationality to commentate in matches. It’s probably illegal as well. 

5 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Crocker is a prick but his nationality doesn't come into it for me. That's something I won't criticise.

In fact I'd much rather listen to Ian Wright co-commentate on a Scotland game rather than Davie Provan.

I can see both sides but Malcolm’s argument is akin to a Rangers fan not wanting Chris Sutton to commentate on their matches or a Celtic fan not wanting Ally McCoist being involved with their matches. 

A TV company will always try and get the best commentary team they can regardless of who is playing. 

No problem with Crocker - as someone said upthread we've hardly given him much to be cheerful about in the 25 years he's dedicated his career to covering Scottish football. So fair play to him for his tweet yesterday.

Hopefully we'll give him even more to be cheerful about this week and next summer.

DUP can fuck right off though.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

He's not criticising his nationality though. You're the one making it an England thing.

He's just saying he would prefer a Scottish voice, or at least someone with a huge passion for the Scotland team (which Crocker clearly doesn't have). Who Steve Clarke has in his backroom team is irrelevant because they likely do their job the same no matter who they're working for.

42 minutes ago, Sempre said:

He's not criticising his nationality though. You're the one making it an England thing.

He's just saying he would prefer a Scottish voice, or at least someone with a huge passion for the Scotland team (which Crocker clearly doesn't have). Who Steve Clarke has in his backroom team is irrelevant because they likely do their job the same no matter who they're working for.

Not everything needs to be Scottish (just the players), I strongly dislike that kind of narrow, twee way of thinking. 

It's always healthy to see things from an outsiders point of view and not always turn to "one of oor ain".

Edited by ErsatzThistle

3 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Not everything needs to be Scottish (just the players), I strongly dislike that kind of narrow, twee way of thinking. 

It's always healthy to see things from an outsiders point of view and not always turn to "one of oor ain".

That’s really not what he’s saying. Stop trying to pick a fight. It’s international football and seeing things from the perspective of the competing team being commented on is something the viewers from that nation would benefit from. There is nothing twee about that. And there is nothing wrong with what the poster said.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Ian Wright? Surely it helps if someone has a basic command of the English language and can use sentences.

48 minutes ago, duncan II said:

That’s really not what he’s saying. Stop trying to pick a fight. It’s international football and seeing things from the perspective of the competing team being commented on is something the viewers from that nation would benefit from. There is nothing twee about that. And there is nothing wrong with what the poster said.

How would they "benefit" from it exactly ? 

I'd actually find it quite interesting and refreshing to listen to a commentary on one of our games from two non-Scottish commentators who have have done their research.

The whole tartan tinted specs viewpoint is something I hate. 

15 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

That's quite a lot of  ex-Scotland players ruled out then.

Yes, but to use the famous quote, ”an inarticulate Cockney is the most inarticulate of all.”

nb. I think I made that up, actually. If so, I look forward to my entry in Collins Book of Quotations.