Crocker - Sky - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crocker - Sky

GaryWood34

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I thought it was maybe a Sky tv channel , I dont have Sky 🙄

I was going to reply to the poster saying STV were no better and I had to sit through 35 mins of the England highlights when I got home from the match, then the Northern Ireland game,  before our game eventually came on which got about 12 mins 😂🙄

It’s the coverage Scotland get on itv and beeb , or lack of that gets me and always has. I am not prepared to suck satanic cock and pay SKY , never have been. Though I do sometimes venture to a drinking hole for the privilege. 
living abroad in England the weekend was typical. The England against the worst national team in the world obviously comes first . So we had live coverage on free to view of that . Then just in case they had live commentary on TALKshiteSPORT, and just to keep us in our place on BBC5live they ALSO had live commentary of the England.

fortunately at half time on BBC5live the did indeed switch to a packed Hampden , so that’s us had our license fee justified. 
the SFA are not even Scotland supporters. I don’t believe there is that level of incompetence to do such a poor job . Just an ingrained nature to do down Scotland. 

6 hours ago, Shaundy said:

It’s the coverage Scotland get on itv and beeb , or lack of that gets me and always has. I am not prepared to suck satanic cock and pay SKY , never have been. Though I do sometimes venture to a drinking hole for the privilege. 
living abroad in England the weekend was typical. The England against the worst national team in the world obviously comes first . So we had live coverage on free to view of that . Then just in case they had live commentary on TALKshiteSPORT, and just to keep us in our place on BBC5live they ALSO had live commentary of the England.

fortunately at half time on BBC5live the did indeed switch to a packed Hampden , so that’s us had our license fee justified. 
the SFA are not even Scotland supporters. I don’t believe there is that level of incompetence to do such a poor job . Just an ingrained nature to do down Scotland. 

I understand that England is the bigger country and because of that they will get more time ( there is a way to avoid that problem permanently of course but I am not getting into it on the football section) , however there should be times when the games with more importance / bigger spectacle take precedent.
There was absolutely nothing riding on that England San Marino game yet more than half the entire programme was dedicated to it. 
I know English people who chose to watch the Scotland game , and I am sure there are others who chose another home nation, because the England game would be a snoozeville in terms of excitement . Surely the time allocated to highlights could be split evenly. 

I have no issue with the England game being on ITV as thats a commerical channel. My issue is with BBC because we have to pay a licence fee for that. The licence fee is the same across the UK so therefore all corners should get the same for their money. Viewing figures should play no part in it.

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I have no issue with the England game being on ITV as thats a commerical channel. My issue is with BBC because we have to pay a licence fee for that. The licence fee is the same across the UK so therefore all corners should get the same for their money. Viewing figures should play no part in it.

You you do realise that the BBC can’t just show Scotland games don’t you? Sky have bought the rights to our games directly from UEFA. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You you do realise that the BBC can’t just show Scotland games don’t you? Sky have bought the rights to our games directly from UEFA. 

I do yes however thats a bidding process. One that the BBC arent interested in because it doesnt provide "value for money" when compared to the viewing figures.

My point is that viewing figures arent what the BBC was originally meant for and thus things like Scotland, Wales and NI games and domestic leagues etc should be shown because that provides all 4 nations with a return for the licence fee.

39 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I understand that England is the bigger country and because of that they will get more time ( there is a way to avoid that problem permanently of course but I am not getting into it on the football section) , however there should be times when the games with more importance / bigger spectacle take precedent.
There was absolutely nothing riding on that England San Marino game yet more than half the entire programme was dedicated to it. 
I know English people who chose to watch the Scotland game , and I am sure there are others who chose another home nation, because the England game would be a snoozeville in terms of excitement . Surely the time allocated to highlights could be split evenly. 

👍

10 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I do yes however thats a bidding process. One that the BBC arent interested in because it doesnt provide "value for money" when compared to the viewing figures.

My point is that viewing figures arent what the BBC was originally meant for and thus things like Scotland, Wales and NI games and domestic leagues etc should be shown because that provides all 4 nations with a return for the licence fee.

BBC Scotland can’t outbid Sky I’m afraid. They just don’t have the budget and couldn’t justify paying a huge chunk of licence fee payers money for what would amount to around 10 games per yer. The BBC don’t show England games either. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

BBC Scotland can’t outbid Sky I’m afraid. They just don’t have the budget and couldn’t justify paying a huge chunk of licence fee payers money for what would amount to around 10 games per yer. The BBC don’t show England games either. 

Why cant they when ITV are able to outbid sky for England games?

The BBC have a huge budget. The pay multi million pounds for EPL highlights, multi million pounds for presenters to do shows like motd.

Would they be paying over the odds for the number of viewers. Yes, given its likely that only a percentage of Scottish people would be watching but thats what the BBC is meant to be about. Its a public service broadcaster. Its not meant to be about viewing figures etc. Thats the criteria for commerical channels.

Just now, Diamond Scot said:

The BBC have a huge budget. The pay multi million pounds for EPL highlights, multi million pounds for presenters to do shows like motd.

Would they be paying over the odds for the number of viewers. Yes, given its likely that only a percentage of Scottish people would be watching but thats what the BBC is meant to be about. Its a public service broadcaster. Its not meant to be about viewing figures etc. Thats the criteria for commerical channels.

ITV don’t need to justify their spending in the same way the BBC does. 

Your argument would make sense if you were asking why ITV can afford England games but STV don’t pay for Scotland games. The BBC are largely irrelevant in this conversation.

BBC Scotland can just about stretch to paying for extended highlights which won’t be that cheap. They can’t just pay millions out of their budget for Scotland games then recoup the money by charging a fortune for advertising during the games like ITV does. 

12 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Don’t get me wrong, I would love it if Scotland games were on the BBC or STV bug this has been discussed to death on here and the figures that are have been mentioned are ridiculous. 

ITV pay tens of millions per year for England games. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

ITV don’t need to justify their spending in the same way the BBC does. 

Your argument would make sense if you were asking why ITV can afford England games but STV don’t pay for Scotland games. The BBC are largely irrelevant in this conversation.

BBC Scotland can just about stretch to paying for extended highlights which won’t be that cheap. They can’t just pay millions out of their budget for Scotland games then recoup the money by charging a fortune for advertising during the games like ITV does. 

The opposite is true surely. ITV have to justify their spending. Viewing figures directly impact on advertising value.

BBC get their money from the licence fee. Programmes are supposed to be judged on their educational or public merit. Not viewing figures. 

2 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The opposite is true surely. ITV have to justify their spending. Viewing figures directly impact on advertising value.

BBC get their money from the licence fee. Programmes are supposed to be judged on their educational or public merit. Not viewing figures. 

You’ve got to be on the wind up here?

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You’ve got to be on the wind up here?

Im not sure what part you disagree with.

BBC are meant to have a different operating model than commercial TV.

Therefore viewing figures dont play the same part as commercial channels. Its the reason things like Shinty, garden watch etc are shown. 

The BBC is supposed to serve all licence fee payers. Not just those in England.

Just now, Diamond Scot said:

Therefore viewing figures dont play the same part as commercial channels. Its the reason things like Shinty, garden watch etc are shown. 

Why don’t the BBC show England games then? Or live EPL matches?

You don’t need to answer that mate as I think the answer is obvious. 

53 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

If the Scottish parliament had powers over broadcasting, we could do as the Irish did in 2002...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/government-publishes-list-of-protected-events-1.430156

"The Government has drawn up a list of sporting events it believes should be permanently available on free to air television.

The proposed list was published after the Minister for Communcations Dermot Ahern and Minister for Sport John O'Donoghue met representatives from the FAI, GAA and IRFU.

It includes the Republic of Ireland’s home and away European Championship and World Cup qualifiers and finals matches, All-Ireland football and hurling finals, the Olympics, the Irish rugby team's matches in the Six Nations and Rugby World Cup and in racing the Irish Grand National and the Irish Derby.

The move comes in the wake of the FAI’s decision earlier this month to sell the rights for the Republic of Ireland’s home internationals to Sky television, a subscriber-only channel."

2 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Wales matches are live on S4C and also on Sky.  There must be some kind of subcontract deal on the go there.

Other channels can pay to share broadcasting. Apparently stv are trying to negotiate with sky for march fixtures.

19 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Other channels can pay to share broadcasting. Apparently stv are trying to negotiate with sky for march fixtures.

That would be good but STV don’t sound too hopeful. Sky showed the Israel playoff free to air so you’d think they’d want to make some money from STV this time instead of showing it for free again. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sadly, Football Associations will always gravitate towards where the money is now and that is not with the terrestrial channels. Even sports events listed as the 'Crown Jewels' are being watered down all the time.

Would be nice to think that SKY offered the SFA an inflated deal on the agreement that they kept the ticket prices low to ensure large crowds which always looks better on TV. Bit like extras in a movie.

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Would be nice to think that SKY offered the SFA an inflated deal on the agreement that they kept the ticket prices low to ensure large crowds which always looks better on TV. Bit like extras in a movie.

Sky would have bought the rights from UEFA, not the SFA. 

£15 a ticket does seem very reasonable for the SFA though. I can only imagine they have hired someone with half a brain recently who realised that the crowds were decreasing at an incredible rate of knots and something should be done about it. 

14 hours ago, sjd1972 said:

Wales matches are live on S4C and also on Sky.  There must be some kind of subcontract deal on the go there.

There is nothing to stop tv companies leasing games to other tv stations.

S4C gets a crazy amount of money chucked at it from the Welsh Government and BBC, and yet their weekly viewing figures are relatively small, but as soon as they put football on it goes right up, so imagine the Welsh games have not come cheap for them, but its probably worth it in the long run.

That is the deal S4C have with Sky, and believe RTE in Ireland did have a similar deal with Sky until the Irish Government stepped in and said sporting games have to be on free to air stations (I believe the Scottish Parliament do not have the powers to make a similar criteria).

ITV paid a crazy amount of money for the rights to England games, and the FA Cup (which they then leased out to BT Sport for a few years, and only just got it back now).

22 hours ago, Shaundy said:

Lived down south in the mid 80's to 2002 and the nineties so feel your pain.  I had to stay up to watch highlights of England games that had been shown live on the off chance there'd be some highlights at the end - sometimes they would just flash up the scores of the home nations and be done with it.  

Think if it was a big game they'd show Sportscene at an ungodly hour.  

23 hours ago, Orraloon said:

"When you ingest psilocybin, your gut converts it into another chemical called psilocin, which triggers changes in the brain. It increases activity in the visual cortex, leading to changes in perception and it decreases network activity in the "default mode network," driving the experience of ego loss."

I knew it! 😆