Crocker - Sky - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crocker - Sky

GaryWood34

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

McCoist's commentary brings me great joy🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tbf, Crocker is so much better now, they have such a great rapport and Ian doesn't seem to repeat himself like he used to with miserable prick Provan, probably because he had to fill in the dead air with him scowling next to him, rather than helping out with commentary

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I rather suspect that Provan no longer doing the commentary on Scotland games was simply down to Sky doing some "audience research".

Wonder how the angry slaphead reacted to our win tonight ? Probably smashed his telly.

He definitely did. Provan was a bastard. 

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I rather suspect that Provan no longer doing the commentary on Scotland games was simply down to Sky doing some "audience research".

Wonder how the angry slaphead reacted to our win tonight ? Probably smashed his telly.

I thought he jacked it in, but I'm sure he was co-comms on another sky game this week

8 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Tbf, Crocker is so much better now, they have such a great rapport and Ian doesn't seem to repeat himself like he used to with miserable prick Provan, probably because he had to fill in the dead air with him scowling next to him, rather than helping out with commentary

Loved the bit when Gilmour was zipping it about and McCoist went 'pfff must have some team that Norwich' 

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I thought he jacked it in, but I'm sure he was co-comms on another sky game this week

I flicked on Georgia vs Sweden and he seemed genuinely more excited when Georgia scored than any time I can remember with us and was waxing lyrical about how they were playing - If it had been Scotland he'd have spent 90 minutes telling us how shite Sweden were and how many players they had out.

Hope Crocker and McCoist are long term because they seem to bounce off each other - even when Crocker comes out with a negative stat it's more tongue in cheek now whereas Provan would have just depressed everything further.  

Never quite got the abuse Ian gets, as I have always found him pretty good.

I think it has become clear that Davy Provan was more the issue, as their is a real feel of the "banter years" with him and McCoist which feels a perfect "fit" for commentary for a Scotland game.

16 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Does Crocker maybe just seem better because we are winning games at the moment?

We haven’t had to listen to his “things are never straightforward with Scotland” pish for a while. 

15 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We haven’t had to listen to his “things are never straightforward with Scotland” pish for a while. 

Wondered if that was why i've found myself warming to Croker lately, but nah, i think the main reason is swapping Provan for McCoist. ThistleWhistle nails it above.

31 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I think, for me, was how he used to repeat the same facts, two or three times during a match, every match. He doesn't seem to do it now and I think that's down to McCoist's input and they seem to bounce off each other

McCoist is brilliant.

He's undeniably passionate and why not (he's on UK TV to a mostly Scottish audience) but he's not distasteful, arrogant or an arsehole about it. He's very clued up on the opposition compared to many Scottish pundits. He is not biased at all, and tends to call the game as it is, and if we get a lucky break, he'll usually acknowledge it.

I genuinely enjoy listening to him. At one point last night, he said about SOD struggling forward and trying to get a ball in for a corner but ultimately failed, Coist's reaction was "I don't mind it. I don't mind it at all,''' can you imagine Proven, he would probably have had said something negative about SOD being limited and Patterson is now the no2 etc.

Crocker is fine. He can be irritating when are are losing, but I think hearing any patrionising English accent riles me, when we are embarrassing ourselves (and he's commentated on us in those circumstances many many times)|

Edited by weekevie04

3 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think, for me, was how he used to repeat the same facts, two or three times during a match, every match. He doesn't seem to do it now and I think that's down to McCoist's input and they seem to bounce off each other

I would probably put this down to Provan more, and really plying his trade under guys like Archie MacPherson and Jock Brown, and Crocker having a very different style of commentary.

From what I have heard so far, McCoist and Crocker seem to play off each other perfectly as McCoist lets Crocker do the match analysis only only really tries to grab the limelight at the perfect moment.

4 minutes ago, wanderer said:

I would probably put this down to Provan more, and really plying his trade under guys like Archie MacPherson and Jock Brown, and Crocker having a very different style of commentary.

From what I have heard so far, McCoist and Crocker seem to play off each other perfectly as McCoist lets Crocker do the match analysis only only really tries to grab the limelight at the perfect moment.

I agree. There are points in the match when Provan is there, when it goes quiet and you can almost feel Crocker is willing him to make an input into the game, and it doesn't come, so the repeated facts start, to fill in the time. McCoist is a fan, so it's natural for him to talk freely about the game

9 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I agree. There are points in the match when Provan is there, when it goes quiet and you can almost feel Crocker is willing him to make an input into the game, and it doesn't come, so the repeated facts start, to fill in the time. McCoist is a fan, so it's natural for him to talk freely about the game

Yeah, it feels like a World Cup or European game where ITV are showing a lowly dead rubber Finland v Albania group stages game and they send in the "comedy" acts to commentate on it, and they just have fun during the match, and calling it as it is, rather than fill up time with stats that the people have home have no interest in knowing.