Crocker - Sky - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Crocker - Sky

GaryWood34

Maybe its not a case of the commentator trying to make us sound bad, maybe we just are. I mean you can mute that volume but its still a pretty far stretch of the imagination to try and perceive us as a quality football team. You'd have to be incredibly biased or just have very low expectations of us to try and put a positive slant on our performances this campaign. Not even the most sychophantic nationalistic ass licker could get away with that with any amount of credibility.

At least tonight's result in Moscow gives lie to the assumption that Russia are somehow a top class team. They are not, mostly very limited talent but still far too good for us.

4 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

If you were unaware of the score and just tuned in to Radio Scotland post match, you'd get the impression from Willie Miller that we'd been well beat.

Ridiculously negative. Kind of get the impression he has something personal against Clarke, he likes to make wee petty, patronising gigs at him.

He did the same with Strachan and McLeish to be fair which surprised me as I presumed they’d be mates from their Aberdeen/Scotland days. He just comes across as a bitter old man these days.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:29 PM, daviebee said:

Crocker must've mentioned that "goal" that wasn't given more times than Darren Fletcher said the word "fantastic".  He's a complete and utter bell-end and Provan is even worse.

And if he wasn't saying fantastic he was "alluding" to it! 

On 11/17/2019 at 5:42 AM, mcnish said:

At least tonight's result in Moscow gives lie to the assumption that Russia are somehow a top class team. They are not, mostly very limited talent but still far too good for us.

Some context though, Russia were missing their 2 best players. Also, having caught some of the match, the Russians were not sitting back and defending relying on counters. Something they did against Spain at the World Cup last year. Looked like they went up against Belgium trying to win. Not often you see Belgium get 42% Possession, 1 Corner (vs Russia's 7) and have the same amount of shots as their opponent. I think the score would have been closer if Russia were playing more conservative football. They will meet each other (Most likely in the group stages at Euro 2020) and I think it will be close (result wise). 

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, Duncan Blackheart said:

I echo this comment.

I hear the RTE commentary on Ireland games all the time. Their team is just as shite as ours, but at least their commentators don't revel in it

29 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

"You didn't think this would be sorted out in 90 minutes, did you? That's not the way we do it here!!"

Aye aye, fuck off Ian.

This is part of the Scotland 2020 qualifying campaign. And I endorse this message.

J

4 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

To be fair, we've hardly given him much to be positive about in his time covering Scotland.

True, but he's always trying to be a smart arse with the snide and unfunny comments.

Bill Leslie is a very decent commentator, I'd take him back.

He really is an absolute wnker who practically wills the ball into our net and never misses a chance to tell us about a bad result we might've had sometime in our history.  Any tenuous link will do in order to provoke one of his sneering remarks.

The other side are always "in control of the game" and always have us "under the cosh" according to that fckwit.  Don't think I've ever hated a commentator as much.

26 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

To be fair to him, he must be pretty pissed off getting the Scotland games all the time. Somebody in charge at Sky must really hate the fuker.

John de Mentieth re-incarnated and condemned to commentate on dreary Scotland games until Doomsday with the mega prick himself, Davie "I'm such a cunt" Provan.

Have a look at it from Ian Crocker's point of view.

Every Scotland game he has to unearth some other fact that isn't 'Scotland haven't qualified for a tournament this century' and find stuff to talk up players that are generally nearer Mount Florida station than ever they are Lyndon Dykes or whoever is the poor unfortunate who has to play up front is.

And after all that he has to sit beside Davie 'Union' Provan.

And watch dross like last night.

Ian Crocker is a star.

5 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Crocker is a dreadful commentator for sure - utterly patronising. However Provan steals the biscuit for me. Loves nothing better than willing it to go wrong so he can then revel in it.

"Too right I do ! I loathe each and every one of you Yes voting, sheep shagging, tartan tranny bastards with a passion. The sooner we have a united British team, the better !"

The Big Interview: Davie Provan on a life in football, broadcasting and why  Rangers never get criticised by their former players | HeraldScotland

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"Too right I do ! I loathe each and every one of you Yes voting, sheep shagging, tartan tranny bastards with a passion. The sooner we have a united British team, the better !"

That might be his politics, but to be fair that's not how he comes in his commentary/analysis, to me anyway. 

He's critical of course, but that's kinda the role of the co-commentator. I find that he tends to say what i'm thinking.

But Crocker... he sets the tone, and its one of snide and barely hidden ridicule.

And Faddy, if you're reading this, it's not just because he has an English accent ya numpty.

8 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

The Big Interview: Davie Provan on a life in football, broadcasting and why  Rangers never get criticised by their former players | HeraldScotland

Dead or Alive, you're coming with me

In fairness to Crocker I think he very much supports Scotland (even as his 2nd team) as much as any "neutral" Scottish commentator could/would.

I don't know if he first landed the gig of doing Scotland games by choice or by poison chalice but his comments come across as a commentator (with an English accent) who follows the team as a Scottish commentator would.

Whether he's good or bad isn't about his accent.

Not that keen on Provan though. Crocker is the "lesser of two evils" there.  😄