2-0 tonight - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2-0 tonight

bonny78

On 6/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, GaryWood34 said:

Beat Russia and we are favourites to qualify imo

You’re entitled to your opinion but I suggest you have a look at the table and fixture list. 

If we beat Russia at Hampden we’ll probably also need to beat them in Moscow to get second place. We will also need to win our remaining games with the exception of Belgium at Hampden. Even a draw in Moscow wouldn’t be enough unless Russia slip up elsewhere and we don’t.

I’m certainly not writing off our chances yet as some other people have but to suggest we’ll be favourites for second place if we win our next game is a tad optimistic I think.

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but I suggest you have a look at the table and fixture list. 

If we beat Russia at Hampden we’ll probably also need to beat them in Moscow to get second place. We will also need to win our remaining games with the exception of Belgium at Hampden. Even a draw in Moscow wouldn’t be enough unless Russia slip up elsewhere and we don’t.

I’m certainly not writing off our chances yet as some other people have but to suggest we’ll be favourites for second place if we win our next game is a tad optimistic I think.

If we take 4 points off Russia we don't need Russia to "slip up". We would need Belgium to beat Russia but I don't think that should be classed as a "slip up".

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If we take 4 points off Russia we don't need Russia to "slip up". We would need Belgium to beat Russia but I don't think that should be classed as a "slip up".

Fair point, bad choice of words. 

What I meant was it wouldn’t fully be in our hands. I seem to remember Ireland beating Germany a few years back so I wouldn’t rely on Belgium doing us a favour by beating Russia. Particularly since Belgium will more than likely have won the group by the time they go to Russia in November.