Malky Mackay Interview - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky Mackay Interview

UpTheSlope

1 hour ago, PapofGlencoe said:

are people allowed a second chance in your book?

Most definitely. That's got to be balanced with placing someone in the particular position he is in. A man with his immediate track record, overseeing the development of youngsters, doesn't sit right with me. The whole incident is in the immediate past.

Another position in the SFA, no issues, but this one isn't appropriate at this juncture.

43 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Most definitely. That's got to be balanced with placing someone in the particular position he is in. A man with his immediate track record, overseeing the development of youngsters, doesn't sit right with me. The whole incident is in the immediate past.

Another position in the SFA, no issues, but this one isn't appropriate at this juncture.

Yeah you may be right actually.  I'm probably on the fence on it.

On review of his actual comments they are worse than just banter people may do on a group chat.  The sustained nature of it.

When Mackay was appointed to the SFA job he got backing from both Show Racism the Red Card and Kick it Out who both said that he'd taken on board the diversity programme he'd gone through and that he was deserving of a second chance.   I think he was also doing community work over and above what was required of him.

TBH, I'd take the views of organisations like that seriously, they are presumably more aware of the specifics of his case than most.

The thing that worries me most about Mackay is that he seems to be too hands on at certain levels.   For example, he seems to a regular fixture from the bench at youth games and in the Toulon tournament last year he was actively coaching during games.    I also saw that he was on the training pitch in the run up to the women's game, in training gear, talking to Shelley Kerr.   To me that comes across as undermining the coaches of these teams.   I suspect he wouldn't do the same thing with Steve Clarke.    I'm all for him observing all aspects of the various teams but he shouldn't be getting involved in either pre-match preparation or during matches.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

When Mackay was appointed to the SFA job he got backing from both Show Racism the Red Card and Kick it Out who both said that he'd taken on board the diversity programme he'd gone through and that he was deserving of a second chance.   I think he was also doing community work over and above what was required of him.

I can't find any reference to community work, although I've only spent 5 mins looking. The quotes I can find from Kick It Out are hardly a ringing endorsement either:

“People learn from their mistakes and hopefully Malky has and will demonstrate on behalf of the people of Scotland and to the people of Scotland that he’s worthy of such a position. People need to move on. He is not Harvey Weinstein.”

I'm sure there's loads been said by all manner of folk on this. I'm all for folk getting a second chance. I just don't think that going straight in to a job at the top of the SFA, guiding and mapping out the pathway for our youngsters is appropriate for him at this moment in time.

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I can't find any reference to community work, although I've only spent 5 mins looking. The quotes I can find from Kick It Out are hardly a ringing endorsement either:

I'm sure there's loads been said by all manner of folk on this. I'm all for folk getting a second chance. I just don't think that going straight in to a job at the top of the SFA, guiding and mapping out the pathway for our youngsters is appropriate for him at this moment in time.

It was something that Stewart Regan mentioned during the press conference when Mackay was appointed.   Mackay then talks a bit about it.  He did some work with young players and other coaches on diversity awareness.

You can see it here from about 4 minutes in.     I think the fact that KiO & SRTRC gave any sort of endorsement at all is significant, if there was any doubt in there minds I don't think they would be quiet.   I don't know if the work he did was in conjunction with them but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

21 hours ago, aaid said:

It was something that Stewart Regan mentioned during the press conference when Mackay was appointed.   Mackay then talks a bit about it.  He did some work with young players and other coaches on diversity awareness.

You can see it here from about 4 minutes in.     I think the fact that KiO & SRTRC gave any sort of endorsement at all is significant, if there was any doubt in there minds I don't think they would be quiet.   I don't know if the work he did was in conjunction with them but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

He done a diversity awareness course, yes. He didn't do community work. Doing something like that would have been an excellent way to go about earning a 2nd chance actually.

Kick It Out saying "He's not Harvey Weinstein" doesn't mean much to me tbh.

Anyway, I suspect this is futile and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He done a diversity awareness course, yes. He didn't do community work. Doing something like that would have been an excellent way to go about earning a 2nd chance actually.

Kick It Out saying "He's not Harvey Weinstein" doesn't mean much to me tbh.

Anyway, I suspect this is futile and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Did you listen to what Mackay said?   He said that he'd carried out multiple talks to groups of young players and coaches on diversity awareness subsequent to having diversity training himself.  That's probably the community in which he can have the biggest impact.

That's a big difference to going on a training course to tick some boxes.   That suggests to me someone who has recognised his previous behaviour was wrong and is taking steps to address that.

regardless of what steps he has or hasn't taken since, the appointment was wrong on a professional level but motor importantly due to his past behaviour/attitude. Reformed? Utter push. It is an embarrassment to have someone with his views in such a position - the fact the SFA don't seem to care about that says it all really. 

36 minutes ago, Return of Yermaw said:

regardless of what steps he has or hasn't taken since, the appointment was wrong on a professional level but more importantly due to his past behaviour/attitude. Reformed? Utter pish. It is an embarrassment to have someone with his views in such a position - the fact the SFA don't seem to care about that says it all really. 

A thread about nothing.

He's a non-entity who's been appointed to a nothing position.

Booing a non-entity is ...........counterproductive. Because by definition you are giving attention to a non-entity.

The stuff about his texts and whatever was dealt with properly a while ago.

Have a think about it and just let it go FFS.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

A thread about nothing.

He's a non-entity who's been appointed to a nothing position.

Booing a non-entity is ...........counterproductive. Because by definition you are giving attention to a non-entity.

The stuff about his texts and whatever was dealt with properly a while ago.

Have a think about it and just let it go FFS.

But what if I’m the type of person to get offended about these type of things?

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

But what if I’m the type of person to get offended about these type of things?

Most of the people who have responded on this thread are intelligent enough not to be offended by Malky McKay's existence two years on.

They'd never really hold a grudge this far on, would they?

4 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I will be honest i had no idea why they were booing him, only by reading this thread I remember a few stupid txts he sent, surely that cant define him as a person the rest of his life? 

It does with the holier than thou fuckwits of the TAMB 

14 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Most of the people who have responded on this thread are intelligent enough not to be offended by Malky McKay's existence two years on.

They'd never really hold a grudge this far on, would they?

Not sure if intelligence is a barrier to being offended by things not affecting you 

For me, folk aren't just booing Malky McKay, they're booing the SFA for employing him in the first place.

At the time of McKay's appointment, no serious football outfit would touch him with a bargepole, particularly to positions of significant influence. So the fact that McKay was given this position is a further example of poor judgement from the SFA as well as a jobs-for-the-boys mentality.

MacKay has been proven to hold racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic views and should be nowhere near a position of power within the SFA or elsewhere.

Thank god he didn’t get the Scotland manager’s job as that would have made us even more of a laughing stock. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

MacKay has been proven to hold racist, sexist, anti-Semitic and homophobic views and should be nowhere near a position of power within the SFA or elsewhere.

Thank god he didn’t get the Scotland manager’s job as that would have made us even more of a laughing stock. 

Nobody beyond the professionally offended would have cared if he got the managers job, expect that he’s not a very good manager. 

As for those who are happy to shame him for his private emails and texts, would you be happy if your private communication was made public?

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nobody beyond the professionally offended would have cared if he got the managers job, expect that he’s not a very good manager. 

As for those who are happy to shame him for his private emails and texts, would you be happy if your private communication was made public?

You can get  paid for being offended?! Count me in.

I'd hate  it if my personal texts were shared, but not because I send messages that are so offensive I would have to step down from my job if they saw the light of day.