Women's World Cup Finals - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

And they will if people watch it 

Women's game is getting a lot of free prime time advertising at the moment.

My daughter plays in the Womens SPL and the crowds currently are little more than a collection of friends and family. The game would need to be totally repackaged to improve the crowd much. Perhaps a Bouncy Castle and an Anne Summers stall?

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Women's game is getting a lot of free prime time advertising at the moment.

My daughter plays in the Womens SPL and the crowds currently are little more than a collection of friends and family. The game would need to be totally repackaged to improve the crowd much. Perhaps a Bouncy Castle and an Anne Summers stall?

You had me at Bouncy Castle, throw in a trampoline and you’ve found a season ticket holder. 

There’s obviously a market for the women’s game and it will continue to improve, not sure how much of a market, especially in Europe for the club teams though. 

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

Jesus. Prolly cause males from lower amateur sides haven't had a lifetime of being underrepresented, underpaid, and underapreciated. I dunno? 

What is it about a professional woman footballer that makes you think she doesn't have the ability to critique a football match? That she didn't play at the top level in the male game?! By that logic there are a bunch of male Scottish pundits we shouldn't see on the BBC too! 

🤣🤣🤣

Kris boyd would never be allowed near a camera ever again 

If it was like tennis they'd earn as much as the men and only play 30 minutes each way!

Regarding the lack of male pundits as long as what's being said is worthwhile I have no problem with it.  Shelley Kerr's been on Sportscene a few times analysing men's games and has offered a lot more tactically than her male counterparts. 

8 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

If it was like tennis they'd earn as much as the men and only play 30 minutes each way!

Regarding the lack of male pundits as long as what's being said is worthwhile I have no problem with it.  Shelley Kerr's been on Sportscene a few times analysing men's games and has offered a lot more tactically than her male counterparts. 

We can compare the standard of women's football all we want, but their knowledge of how to play the game will be totally equal with men's soon if it's not already.

Tennis is a strange one, Women's Tennis has been a popular as men's for a long time and as the main competitions run together equal pay is fair enough.

My ideal solution would be female pundits / commentators for women's football and male ones for men's football. It is not that hard really.

But nooooo, we get them inflicted on us because some tit in the BBC is a tit.  So by fuck they are not getting away scot free when its the other way around. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Equal pay is never going to happen but decent wages could appear if TV companies get involved which could well happen.

The prize money tree or the wage structure in any professional sport is determined by the revenues it generates. Ideally men's and women's tennis for example should be split completely as businesses and each can then determine the wages/prizes it can afford to pay. Talk of equality is utter bullshit. Why do professional squash players not earn the same as professional tennis players, whu not rugby players the same as footballers? Not as much money generated by the sport. Right now some women's sports are stealing from men's sports under the guise of equal pay. It is actually pretty disgusting. Helping themselves to others people's earnings and labour and making out they are on the moral high ground at the same time. They don't want equality they want privilege.

17 minutes ago, thplinth said:

My ideal solution would be female pundits / commentators for women's football and male ones for men's football. It is not that hard really.

But nooooo, we get them inflicted on us because some tit in the BBC is a tit.  So by fuck they are not getting away scot free when its the other way around. 

I'd much rather have Hope Solo "inflicted" on me than Mark Lewrenson. 

19 minutes ago, thplinth said:

15 minutes ago, thplinth said:

The prize money tree or the wage structure in any professional sport is determined by the revenues it generates. Ideally men's and women's tennis for example should be split completely as businesses and each can then determine the wages/prizes it can afford to pay. Talk of equality is utter bullshit. Why do professional squash players not earn the same as professional tennis players, whu not rugby players the same as footballers? Not as much money generated by the sport. Right now some women's sports are stealing from men's sports under the guise of equal pay. It is actually pretty disgusting. Helping themselves to others people's earnings and labour and making out they are on the moral high ground at the same time. They don't want equality they want privilege.

Perhaps we should only allow men to watch men's football and women to watch woman's football too. Not too sure SKY would be too happy with the drop in subscriptions though or men players with the subsequent drop in wages, or the clubs with less income to invest.

36 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Possibly the most Yer Da post I've read on here.

58 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Perhaps we should only allow men to watch men's football and women to watch woman's football too. Not too sure SKY would be too happy with the drop in subscriptions though or men players with the subsequent drop in wages, or the clubs with less income to invest.

No let people watch what they want but women’s tennis should be treated as a distinct sport to men tennis like men’s squash is and both should have to stand on their own feet financially before deciding what their employees should be paid or what prizes are on offer. That is equality, not leeching off the men’s game to overpay women in women’s tennis. Let them earn it, not sponge it, that is real equality, no?

Tend to agree with thplinth on this one. The rewards in the women's game should be dictated by market forces.

In the USA (which is where the dissatisfaction seems to be highest) the games are getting crowds roughly equivalent to middle order Scottish Premiership sides. So that would seem to be a rough yardstick on what the top players there should be earning (not factoring in any TV revenue mind you, and let's face it they are unlikely to have a worse negotiator than Neil Doncaster).

11 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

Anyone see the article about Dallas u15 boys beating us ladies 5-2 in a pre tournament friendly ( scrimmage ) unofficial knock about ; post was removed apparently 

Had heard about that.  Pretty irrelevant though.  A schoolboy athlete at a decent level would easily beat Laura Muir, doesn't mean they should receive a higher profile though.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Tend to agree with thplinth on this one. The rewards in the women's game should be dictated by market forces.

In the USA (which is where the dissatisfaction seems to be highest) the games are getting crowds roughly equivalent to middle order Scottish Premiership sides. So that would seem to be a rough yardstick on what the top players there should be earning (not factoring in any TV revenue mind you, and let's face it they are unlikely to have a worse negotiator than Neil Doncaster).

A friend on mine's daughter is 13/14 is at Chelsea and is in the England setup.   In the same way as the men's game, there is a long way to go but they reckon she'll be able to make a good living as a pro.

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Had heard about that.  Pretty irrelevant though.  A schoolboy athlete at a decent level would easily beat Laura Muir, doesn't mean they should receive a higher profile though.

Wow, I thought the runners would have been closer (men v women) for some inexplicable reason... amazing, schoolboy.

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Wow, I thought the runners would have been closer (men v women) for some inexplicable reason... amazing, schoolboy.

Schoolboys have run sub 4 miles. The women's record is 4:12, Laura's PB is around 4:20.

3 hours ago, thplinth said:

No let people watch what they want but women’s tennis should be treated as a distinct sport to men tennis like men’s squash is and both should have to stand on their own feet financially before deciding what their employees should be paid or what prizes are on offer. That is equality, not leeching off the men’s game to overpay women in women’s tennis. Let them earn it, not sponge it, that is real equality, no?

I see exactly what you're saying, but the classic problem is the difference between equality and true equality.

Imagine a fence that's too high for people to see over. If you're being equal, you give everyone the same stool to stand on. However, the short areses (like myself) still won't be able to see over. To create true equality you give everyone a stool that will raise them all to the same height and let them all see over. 

I know this is a bullshit example, but please try and see the analogy. Women will never be as good as men at football at the very top level, so if we want to create true equality we have to start helping them out a bit more. Maybe let them be a pundit on TV or earn as much as a man without having a fucking cry wank about it. That would be a good start. I mean Jesus Christ, Scots women are only just turning professional now in an era where men are getting paid more in a week than I get in a whole year and you're already panicking that they will earn the same as men? Try and focus on some real problems. 

8 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I see exactly what you're saying, but the classic problem is the difference between equality and true equality.

Imagine a fence that's too high for people to see over. If you're being equal, you give everyone the same stool to stand on. However, the short areses (like myself) still won't be able to see over. To create true equality you give everyone a stool that will raise them all to the same height and let them all see over. 

I know this is a bullshit example, but please try and see the analogy. Women will never be as good as men at football at the very top level, so if we want to create true equality we have to start helping them out a bit more. Maybe let them be a pundit on TV or earn as much as a man without having a fucking cry wank about it. That would be a good start. I mean Jesus Christ, Scots women are only just turning professional now in an era where men are getting paid more in a week than I get in a whole year and you're already panicking that they will earn the same as men? Try and focus on some real problems. 

Equality and true equality. lol. Let me guess you are the one who knows 'true' equality'.

Equality of Opportunity is what most people will agree with when they think about it... that we will all have an equal chance in life and after that it is up to us.

Equality of Outcome is what you are clearly talking about above... that somehow we must in the end all end up 'equal'. And if we are not you intend to make us so.

8 hours ago, thplinth said:

I wondered if they could beat a decent University / College team and decided no, and then I wondered if they would beat the best School team. I'd love to see that game just to gauge it.

Either way what annoys me is why do they have to be on MotD/Sportscene/whatever as pundits when this is the level they have played. Why not invite male players from lowly amateur sides on TV as pundits then? Because it is ridiculous that is why and annoying but done for 'diversity' of course. But then we see fuck all diversity when it comes to the all woman team for the women's world cup. Total double standard dogma and bullshit.The BBC are the fucking worst for it by far, loathsome organization on so many levels. 

Take a day off ya fucking whopper, you are tiresome beyond belief.