Women's World Cup Finals - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

1 hour ago, SlamDuncan said:

It wouldn't be Scotland at a World Cup if we weren't hoping for a combination of about 8 different results to go our way to get to the 2nd round!

Very much this. 😁

Let's hope the women can break the curse. 

Argentina will be a difficult game. They look a very solid team and Japan really struggled to break them down, a bit like England are toiling right now as well. They'll certainly fancy their chances against us too at getting that third spot.  Scotland need to start better.  I have only seen a few qualifiers so probably can't comment but I thought Corsie looked a liability in both games needlessly giving the ball away and echos of Steven Pressley at the back, and Beattie whilst good on Sunday had a mare today.

9 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Argentina will be a difficult game. They look a very solid team and Japan really struggled to break them down, a bit like England are toiling right now as well. They'll certainly fancy their chances against us too at getting that third spot.  Scotland need to start better.  I have only seen a few qualifiers so probably can't comment but I thought Corsie looked a liability in both games needlessly giving the ball away and echos of Steven Pressley at the back, and Beattie whilst good on Sunday had a mare today.

Aye, don't get me wrong I just meant a England win or a draw leaves us in the same position. Us needing to win and try to get our GD into the positive numbers.

I was not suggesting that would be a forgone conclusion against Argentina. This is all setup for everything else to go our way and then for us to lose 1-0...

Argentine keeper is having an absolute stormer tonight! Saved a pen and a couple of other good saves too.

Edited by SlamDuncan

2 minutes ago, SlamDuncan said:

Aye, don't get me wrong I just meant a England win or a draw leaves us in the same position. Is needing to win and try to get our GD into the positive numbers. 

I was not suggesting that would be a forgone conclusion against Argentina. This is all setup for everything else to go our way and then for us to lose 1-0...

Argentine keeper is having an absolute stormer tonight! Saved a pen and a couple of other good saves too.

No, no I didn't take it as that, or you thinking the 3pts in the bag. I am sure both Scotland and Argentina will fancy their chances against each other and even if this game ends up 0-0 Argentina will most likely need to go for it at some point against us to try and get through, so it could well be an open game.

A draw actually might be the best result in the sense of us not getting ahead of ourselves and knowing how difficult a game it may well be.

We certainly need to go for it on Wed and I think we will. We look a lot better attacking going forward than sitting back.

33 minutes ago, SlamDuncan said:

Feels a bit like hoping for England to hammer Holland at Euro96. Almost crashed the car celebrating the England goal when they went 4 up! Felt so wrong

I was a bit young for that but know so many people talk of having to support England then. It's just no natural, I was gutted when she missed that penalty 🙈

3 hours ago, philip_OATN said:

Whose cunts are you proposing to fuck?

The cunts in the VAR studio who thought nothing of ours and yet England's got a review. Yes I realise there are different sets of cunts for each game

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's shaping up so that any win against Argentina should be enough. Could be a great night, although how often have we heard that before? 😞

If its possible for us to lose the place to Cameroon then thats where the smart money lies 😕

45 minutes ago, daviebee said:

When it comes to the 3rd games it'd be interesting to see a table of:

a) this is how we could go through

b) this is how we could fck it up.

If only the mens team could qualify for one of these tournaments whereby one win gets you to the latter stages!  We would have been in the knockout rounds in probably half a dozen tournaments

13 minutes ago, todd said:

If only the mens team could qualify for one of these tournaments whereby one win gets you to the latter stages!  We would have been in the knockout rounds in probably half a dozen tournaments

Not so.

74 - Won 1st game

78 - Won last game

82 - Won 1st game

86 - No wins

90 - Won 2nd game

92 - Won last game

96 - Won last game

98 - No wins

Although there were 6 wins, 3 of these were in the last game so you have to add in the "Scotland factor", i.e. we needed to so we didn't.  :lol: 

Pretty depressing list when you look at it.  :( 

4 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Not so.

74 - Won 1st game

78 - Won last game

82 - Won 1st game

86 - No wins

90 - Won 2nd game

92 - Won last game

96 - Won last game

98 - No wins

Although there were 6 wins, 3 of these were in the last game so you have to add in the "Scotland factor", i.e. we needed to so we didn't.  :lol: 

Pretty depressing list when you look at it.  :( 

But with the current format (ie more teams) how many of them could have resulted in progress to the knockouts? 3 points invariably seems to be enough to get the jammy 3rd place slot.

Edited by todd

7 minutes ago, todd said:

But with the current format (ie more teams) how many of them could have resulted in progress to the knockouts? 

It'd probably be impossible to guess that without knowing what was going on in the other groups.  What's worth noting though is that a win when there were less teams was more impressive as the standard of opposition would be higher.

As I mentioned, seriously depressing - only 6 wins since 74???  I suppose I can consider myself blessed to have seen 4 of them in person.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If its possible for us to lose the place to Cameroon then thats where the smart money lies 😕

If Nigeria get something v France and China Spain play out a draw we could be pinning our hopes on Thailand's defence not conceding >4. 😀😀

16 minutes ago, daviebee said:

It'd probably be impossible to guess that without knowing what was going on in the other groups.  What's worth noting though is that a win when there were less teams was more impressive as the standard of opposition would be higher.

As I mentioned, seriously depressing - only 6 wins since 74???  I suppose I can consider myself blessed to have seen 4 of them in person.

Never seen Scotland win at a major championships. Scotland v Sweden wasn't shown in England as theyd rather watch Big Break and England v Holland was on same time as Swiss game. Can't remember if the 92 game v CIS but we probably got Holland Germany.

Edited by ThistleWhistle