Women's World Cup Finals - Page 29 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

As the WWC proved the standard of the womens game is undoubtedly improving. Of course given that many players are now full time professionals this is what you would expect.

However this does not apply to the Scottish ladies who are nowhere as good as they and some punters think they are.

One point out of nine is failure yet people were talking them up like they were national heroes.

They struggled to  defeat Jamaica at home who lost all their matches in France and were only saved from the worst placed team slot because of Thailands goals against column. 

The results of the U19s ladies (again at home) do little to inspire confidence for the future - three defeats with the coach saying how proud she was of how her girls responded to the loss of four first half goals V Norway.

Always thought Kerr talked a good game in the build up but she is lucky to still be in post after being found to be tactically naive when it mattered.

I do however admire Shelley for responding to the accusations on camera and answering all the questions during last nights BBC Scotland interview.

3 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

As the WWC proved the standard of the womens game is undoubtedly improving. Of course given that many players are now full time professionals this is what you would expect.

However this does not apply to the Scottish ladies who are nowhere as good as they and some punters think they are.

One point out of nine is failure yet people were talking them up like they were national heroes.

They struggled to  defeat Jamaica at home who lost all their matches in France and were only saved from the worst placed team slot because of Thailands goals against column. 

The results of the U19s ladies (again at home) do little to inspire confidence for the future - three defeats with the coach saying how proud she was of how her girls responded to the loss of four first half goals V Norway.

Always thought Kerr talked a good game in the build up but she is lucky to still be in post after being found to be tactically naive when it mattered.

I do however admire Shelley for responding to the accusations on camera and answering all the questions during last nights BBC Scotland interview.

I think this is a bit harsh.  in the cold light of day and looking back I think they could have progressed with a bit more nous.  They didn't disgrace themselves in my book.

It's three games.  1 draw and 2 defeats that in spells they played well in.  They were hardly embarrassed.

We could have drawn with England who reached the semis and probably gave USA their toughest game.  We should have drawn with Japan who were hugely unlucky to go out to Netherlands who got to the final.  The Argentina game no doubt showed naivety as 3-0 was more than enough and should have shut up shop. 

Kerr should be criticised for it but the players have to take responsibility too – I distinctly remember Kim Little stamping her feet and going mental between Howard giving away the penalty and it actually being awarded which was far too late.  Players like her and Coursie should have been going mental when it went 3-1 but they lacked leadership on the pitch totally.    

I think Kerr should now be judged on the Euros to see if lessons have been learnt although it is more difficult to get out the groups.  However, getting pished and reading the riot act to players who really were at that moment out their collective depth isn’t a great start.    

In terms of the u19’s there are a couple of individuals in there that look like potential superstars – lass at Hibs (Napier?) scored a beauty in the Champions League and is already one of their best players as I understand it.    

We had an extremely tough group, but defensive naivety and poor refereeing cost us big time (including as aaid  mentioned Lee Alexander being pulled up for stepping off the line less far than the Liverpool keeper did in the Super Cup final).

Edited by Toepoke