Women's World Cup Finals - Page 28 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

Just heard one of the (news) commentators referring to 'controversies' as England went out. What were the controversies?

As far as I saw, England had a penalty, which they missed. They had an offside goal ruled off for being offside, And had a player sent off ("down to ten men" said the manager). Did I miss something? 

40 minutes ago, csinclair said:

to me it looked like it was more White accidentally making contact with the defender when swinging her leg to shoot than vice versa. Definitely never a penalty.

Aye, there seemed to be some slight contact between her and the defender but not enough to cause her to fall on her arse like that. 

And by the way, how fucking smug is that silly 'trademark' goal celebration of hers?  It's quite funny watching some English pundits suddenly getting upset about goal celebrations because they've decided Alex Morgan looked like she was miming drinking tea after she scored her goal! :lol:

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, there seemed to be some slight contact between her and the defender but not enough to cause her to fall on her arse like that. 

And by the way, how fucking smug is that silly 'trademark' goal celebration of hers?  It's quite funny watching some English pundits suddenly getting upset about goal celebrations because they've decided Alex Morgan looked like she was miming drinking tea after she scored her goal! :lol:

Haha good to know that I wasn’t the only one annoyed by that celebration. You know you’ve reached true equality when Scotland fans are desperate for you to fail!

Never a penalty either, not when you watch it several times and can’t see the contact. 

56 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Didn’t look like a penalty.  Thought the goal disallowed was almost too close to call even with technology.  

It was definitely offside. 

Whether someone being a few inches offside should prevent a goal is another argument but under the current rules they were correct to disallow it. 

It was friggin painful listening to Pearce. As the missed penalty was about to be taken he was entrusting about how she may take a magnificent penalty (not the word he used his was even more silky). I was sat there thinking it is a penalty you cannot call a kick from 18 yards such a thing. What a twat he is.

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

It was friggin painful listening to Pearce. As the missed penalty was about to be taken he was entrusting about how she may take a magnificent penalty (not the word he used his was even more silky). I was sat there thinking it is a penalty you cannot call a kick from 18 yards such a thing. What a twat he is.

Those extra 6 yards may make all the difference? ;)

Just now, Third Lanark said:

Good point: they hardly ever use it to vindicate their decision.

Is that not the case though because the only reason they review it is that someone in the VAR room basically says "I think you might have made the wrong call" after reviewing it themselves?  Certainly feels like too much influence is coming through the earpiece (without actually hearing what is said).

3 minutes ago, in5omniac said:

Is that not the case though because the only reason they review it is that someone in the VAR room basically says "I think you might have made the wrong call" after reviewing it themselves?  Certainly feels like too much influence is coming through the earpiece (without actually hearing what is said).

I agree. The only way those in studio should review it is if the onfield referee contacts them to say I am not sure about that decision can you check it. If they don't do that then it should be left alone.

18 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I agree. The only way those in studio should review it is if the on field referee contacts them to say I am not sure about that decision can you check it. If they don't do that then it should be left alone.

Unless the Referee is  obviously wrong like she was for the England goal that went to VAR. But a marginal penalty incident is probably easier to call in real time unless blatantly obvious and missed. So I guess VAR should still be able to stop the game if it knows it is right but not for "are you sure because we don't know either cases" like the penalty

Edited by ceudmilefailte

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It was definitely offside. 

Whether someone being a few inches offside should prevent a goal is another argument but under the current rules they were correct to disallow it. 

Aye, it was offside.  I would say it was within the spirit of the game though.  She scored because the opposition gave her six yards either side, not because she was 10cm forward.

4 hours ago, adamntg said:

Aye, it was offside.  I would say it was within the spirit of the game though.  She scored because the opposition gave her six yards either side, not because she was 10cm forward.

That sums it up for me. The striker has done well to get into that position, the defence are at fault. No defender is ever going to be planning to catch a forward 2mm offside.  If its not clear and blatant then I don't think VAR should be playing any role in the decision making.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, Hertsscot said:

That sums it up for me. The striker has done well to get into that position, the defence are at fault. No defender is ever going to be planning to catch a forward 2mm offside.  If its not clear and blatant then I don't think VAR should be playing any role in the decision making.

The striker has done well to get into an offside position? Don't ever become a coach please. Utter codswallop.

Edited by Farcity

On 7/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, exile said:

Just heard one of the (news) commentators referring to 'controversies' as England went out. What were the controversies?

As far as I saw, England had a penalty, which they missed. They had an offside goal ruled off for being offside, And had a player sent off ("down to ten men" said the manager). Did I miss something? 

The players all shout "man on"

On 7/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, exile said:

The similarity in the way the controversies the way England crashed out of the WWC are resemblent of of the Scotland crashed out of the Euro 2008 qualifying group

Rewriting history to suit a specific agenda 

• 1 month later...

So on the news the tournament debrief had tears, honesty, thoughts of retirement and coaching staff drinking before the event.  The women are like Scotland Men from 1970's.  

My perception of Shelly Kerr after the tournament is quite low now.  The performances were disappointing.  The last 15 minutes were dreadful.  Then you have the debrief.  

On 3 July 2019 at 6:24 PM, Hertsscot said:

I think I get your point.  I saw someone commenting the other week, probably after the first lot of EPL games, which made a lot of sense to me.

they were basically saying that some laws in football are "letter of the law" and some are "spirit of the law" and that offside and handball are two of those.   Offside was brought in to basically stop a forward standing in the six yard box "poaching", similarly anyone who's ever played football, even if it's just down the park knows that if the ball's going past you and you grab a hold of it then it's a foul but there's also plenty of scope for the ball hitting your hand and you not being able to do anything about it.

The problem is that when you start to look at these as strict "letter of the law" and particularly with VAR being able to pick up things that couldn't be seen in real time you run the risk of changing how the game is played and not in a good way.  Offside has basically worked for the last 100 odd years because it strikes the balance between attack and defence.  If attackers can no longer "risk" being offside, they won't make those runs and they won't play on the shoulder of the last man.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the Liverpool goalkeepers foot was off the line for the last penalty in the Super Cup.  Goog luck to any referee  trying to get it taken in that situation though.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

So on the news the tournament debrief had tears, honesty, thoughts of retirement and coaching staff drinking before the event.  The women are like Scotland Men from 1970's.  

My perception of Shelly Kerr after the tournament is quite low now.  The performances were disappointing.  The last 15 minutes were dreadful.  Then you have the debrief.  

Yeah, Kerr and the team did really well in making the finals but once we were there we were a shambles - especially the second half when it was obvious to everyone what changes needed to be made.