Women's World Cup Finals - Page 27 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

40 minutes ago, macy37 said:

Can’t believe people are enjoying watching this pish.

26 minutes ago, todd said:

Couldn't agree more but to say so is akin to racism and suggesting that global warming is not being caused by mankind 

The quality is nowhere near as good as the men’s World Cup but then neither is Clyde v Edinburgh City or Cowdenbeath v Elgin but plenty of people attend lower league games in Scotland. 

I don’t follow it with any great interest but I’m confused by people who have an issue with those that do. 

What’s even more confusing is the people that call you sexist if you don’t like women’s football. 

The world is a crazy place these days. 

25 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The quality is nowhere near as good as the men’s World Cup but then neither is Clyde v Edinburgh City or Cowdenbeath v Elgin but plenty of people attend lower league games in Scotland. 

Exactly this. I went to Scotland v Japan and it was 12 quid a ticket. I imagine a similar match at the men's World Cup would cost about 10 times that.

17 hours ago, Mox said:

She didn't deliberately spit on her ffs. and it wasn't a backpass either

I agree on both.  And the English commentators seemed to also agree that the "backpass" was actually a poor touch, before rolling back a bit and claiming that it should still have been a free kick.

17 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t follow it with any great interest but I’m confused by people who have an issue with those that do. 

What’s even more confusing is the people that call you sexist if you don’t like women’s football. 

The world is a crazy place these days. 

Sums it up nicely. 

12 hours ago, csinclair said:

Just seen Sweden's penalty save which was just like Scotland's but stood. What a farce.

She deffo had a foot on the line though.

Lee Alexander's "footage" was less conclusive. 

Still a farce though I agree.

52 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

France completely robbed of a stonewall penalty against the USA. Not even viewed on VAR.  Complete shambles this WC....

Never a penalty as we knew it, but going by the decisions earlier in the tournament it could've been given.

33 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Never a penalty as we knew it, but going by the decisions earlier in the tournament it could've been given.

I haven’t seen that much of this tournament but VAR seems to be the main talking point, far more than controversial decisions at tournaments pre VAR. 

It’s ruining the game for me and needs to be refined or binned. Goal line technology is needed but the rest can GTF as far as I’m concerned. 

Referees or linesman missing the odd offside or penalty was not ruining the game. VAR is. 

It's clear that FIFA are using this tournament as a Guinea pig for VAR, to iron out the wrinkles and find out the best way to use it, in order to induce it to the men's game.

I've seen most of the matches. At the beginning-midway VAR was being used for pretty much every single contentious incident.. So much so that the average injury time was 7-8 minutes. It would've been fine if the stoppage ultimately gave the ref the opportunity to make the correct decision, but more times than not the referee made the wrong decision after consulting with VAR. Therefore, it's the referees that are to blame, not VAR.

Since the quarter final matches VAR has been used less, which means that the matches have been allowed to flow more and there's been a lot less stop-start. 

The more familiar the powers-that-be are to VAR the better and more effective and efficient it will become. It's about striking a fine balance between using VAR and leaving incidents to the jurisdiction of the referee. For anyone to suggest that VAR is ruining the game, or has the potential of ruining the game, is reactionary and completely short-sighted. VAR gives referees a chance to right wrongs and make the game fairer with giving the proper decisions. Whether FIFA are just using VAR as nothing but lip-service, whilst giving officials strict instructions to favour the top sides, only time will tell.

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

It's clear that FIFA are using this tournament as a Guinea pig for VAR, to iron out the wrinkles and find out the best way to use it, in order to induce it to the men's game.

I've seen most of the matches. At the beginning-midway VAR was being used for pretty much every single contentious incident.. So much so that the average injury time was 7-8 minutes. It would've been fine if the stoppage ultimately gave the ref the opportunity to make the correct decision, but more times than not the referee made the wrong decision after consulting with VAR. Therefore, it's the referees that are to blame, not VAR.

Since the quarter final matches VAR has been used less, which means that the matches have been allowed to flow more and there's been a lot less stop-start. 

The more familiar the powers-that-be are to VAR the better and more effective and efficient it will become. It's about striking a fine balance between using VAR and leaving incidents to the jurisdiction of the referee. For anyone to suggest that VAR is ruining the game, or has the potential of ruining the game, is reactionary and completely short-sighted. VAR gives referees a chance to right wrongs and make the game fairer with giving the proper decisions. Whether FIFA are just using VAR as nothing but lip-service, whilst giving officials strict instructions to favour the top sides, only time will tell.

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for the fact that VAR was used (more successfully) at the men’s World Cup last year and has been used in many leagues in Europe this year as well as European competitions. Surely they’ve ironed out the main wrinkles by now?

They might have been trying to push the boundaries in this tournament to see how far they can go. If that is the case then they should hopefully now realise that the referee should be in charge of the majority of decisions and VAR should only get involved in offsides, penalties and whether the ball has crossed the goal line or not. 

The VAR decision that put Scotland out was a shambles and I’m not just saying that because it was Scotland. 

I thought it was a good game last night but even then VAR casts its shadow.  USA scored what looked like their third but it was disallowed for off side.  Okay I'm watching on TV but it must have been a hairsbreadth and yet did not go to VAR. At 3-0 up that (Scotland please take note) would have been it but it allowed the French to pick up some momentum and make it a close run thing.  Similarly I think the free kick that led to the French goal was highly questionable and yet doesn't got to VAR.  You might use VAR to decide a questionable goal but not whether the free kick should have been given in the first place.  In theory I'm in favour of VAR but this tournament it has been very very poor as has been time keeping, again its just my perception but I'm baffled how there was about five and a half minutes of extra time last night.

Enjoying the games in the tournament, but it is not VAR that is spoiling it, it is Jonathan Pearce's terrible commentary!!! 

He is the worst commentator anywhere

He just rattles off dull stats, and squeezes a mention of England in whenever he can...infuriating. 

17 minutes ago, saintsparky said:

Enjoying the games in the tournament, but it is not VAR that is spoiling it, it is Jonathan Pearce's terrible commentary!!! 

He is the worst commentator anywhere

He just rattles off dull stats, and squeezes a mention of England in whenever he can...infuriating. 

Can't disagree with . Also get fed up of references like the one last night to the French player who was born in Algeria. When it comes to England they never talk about the Jamiacan born Raheem Sterling, funny that!

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I would agree with you if it wasn’t for the fact that VAR was used (more successfully) at the men’s World Cup last year and has been used in many leagues in Europe this year as well as European competitions. Surely they’ve ironed out the main wrinkles by now?

They might have been trying to push the boundaries in this tournament to see how far they can go. If that is the case then they should hopefully now realise that the referee should be in charge of the majority of decisions and VAR should only get involved in offsides, penalties and whether the ball has crossed the goal line or not. 

The VAR decision that put Scotland out was a shambles and I’m not just saying that because it was Scotland. 

Yeah, I think that's pretty what they've done, "pushing the boundaries".

In recent times they have pulled back on the VAR calls, which has been very welcomed. The male refs are better, there's no getting away from that, therefore, it will be much more effective and accurate when better refs are viewing the decisions by themselves.

I've enjoyed this tournament, I have, the quality has been good. (If anyone disagrees, tell me how good the previous Male European Cup final was) but the refs have been awful.

I agree of the Scotland decisions, and not just the keeper one, also the penalty decision against England. 

The biggest issue is referees, players and fans getting to grips with the amended laws that have come into force at the beginning of this tournament. 

The use of the VAR to try and get these decisions right makes it look like its a VAR issue when it's not. 

The other big issue is that handball is still such a grey area, and the changes they have made have only made it tougher. Two people can look at one incident and have completely different opinions, which is why we see some inconsistency in referees applying the laws. 

On 6/29/2019 at 1:16 AM, Texas Pete said:

For me the worst thing about that was the way the match ended straight afterwards.  The penalty was correct and the retake was in line with the new laws and a precedent had been set in the France - Nigeria game.  All the VAR reviewing began prior to 90 minutes if I remember correctly and the retaken penalty was scored 94' I think - how was no stoppage time applied on top of that?  A draw suited neither team

The Lionesses are out.  Breathe a sigh of relief, it was getting insufferably Engurland down here.  Found myself more and more wanting them out, probably something to do with Phil Neville as boss and BBC hype.  However I would dearly love our women to get to a semi final (or our men just to qualify)

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

It's not just you, it shouldn't have been given.a very poor decision by the ref.

Thanks. 

I've seen it a dozen times now and I still can't see anything wrong with it!

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Is it just me or was England's penalty really, really soft?

The decision, I mean (the penalty itself was awful).

Millions of replays and I couldnae for the life of me see how that was a penalty. Lassie just fell over when it was easier to score.

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Thanks. 

I've seen it a dozen times now and I still can't see anything wrong with it!

to me it looked like it was more White accidentally making contact with the defender when swinging her leg to shoot than vice versa. Definitely never a penalty.