Women's World Cup Finals - Page 25 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

39 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Caterpillar eyelashes are great for blotting out the floodlights in a high ball :huh:

Anyway, seriously (cough) , how much does Reynaldo spend on a haircut?

Caterpillar eyelashes can put yae offside anaw. VAR said so mate. 🤣🤣

40 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Caterpillar eyelashes are great for blotting out the floodlights in a high ball :huh:

Anyway, seriously (cough) , how much does Reynaldo spend on a haircut?

Oh aye. Ronaldo spends more on a haircut than I earn in a week!! He is pretty though. 🤣

13 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Messi penalty compilation

Watch that video and you tell me how many times a goalkeeper stays on his line.

I'll give you a clue. It's either none and zilch.

The "goalkeepers have to stay on the line till the ball has been struck" isn't a new law. Keepers get away with it all the time, and they'll continue to get away with it. Why they're using this World Cup as a Guinea pig to clamp down on keepers moving forward off their lines is baffling. 

Next season in the EPL they won't allow VAR to get involved with keepers moving forward during penalties and I'm sure that the other top leagues won't, either. Referees need help. but not when it comes to this. The ref is usually watching when a penalty is being struck so it should be his sole jurisdiction. If they're going to take all power away from the ref then why not just introduce VAR Drones to officiate the match.

If a goalkeeper were to follow the rules, ie, not move until the ball is struck, they would never save it, its impossible unless your fuckin Spiderman. I agree with your post . It's a joke. Every keeper moves, it's been like that for decades, but to bring it to a head at a World Cup final, is a joke. It cost us yesterday. Just my opinion mate..

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

If a goalkeeper were to follow the rules, ie, not move until the ball is struck, they would never save it, its impossible unless your fuckin Spiderman. I agree with your post . It's a joke. Every keeper moves, it's been like that for decades, but to bring it to a head at a World Cup final, is a joke. It cost us yesterday. Just my opinion mate..

Couldn't possibly agree more.

7 hours ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I am a top class, experienced, well respected football manager here in Ottawa. I tell my keepers to move, they have to. I have yet to have one of my keepers called for moving early..

They are allowed to move. Moving isn't an offence.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

They are allowed to move. Moving isn't an offence.

You’ve mentioned that about three times now yet folk are STILL going on about not being able to move! 🙈

You’re absolutely right though. Keepers ARE allowed to move, as long as they stay on the line. They can run and touch each post if they want providing they don’t move off the line. I have no idea why some are finding it so hard to grasp. It’s always been a rule, nothing has changed except it’s now being enforced a lot more strictly. 

Edited by McTeeko

55 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

You’ve mentioned that about three times now yet folk are STILL going on about not being able to move! 🙈

You’re absolutely right though. Keepers ARE allowed to move, as long as they stay on the line. They can run and touch each post if they want providing they don’t move off the line. I have no idea why some are finding it so hard to grasp. It’s always been a rule, nothing has changed except it’s now being enforced a lot more strictly. 

It's not that it's a rule that people don't understand.  It's that it's almost impossible for the keeper to adhere to it if they move with any natural momentum at all.  The natural momentum being linked to the exact moment the striker hits the ball outside their control.

Apart from anything else it's a four inch line.  you're body lines on side with it, you don't have eyes at the side of your head!  they shouldn't be taking milimeters with this.  The obvious thing to do is have a secondary line to solve the problem.

It's obvious why the senior leagues aren't bothering with it because it's ludicrous.

I'm honestly as flabbergasted that people don't understand that.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

48 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

It's not that it's a rule that people don't understand.  It's that it's almost impossible for the keeper to adhere to it if they move with any natural momentum at all.  The natural momentum being linked to the exact moment the striker hits the ball outside their control.

Apart from anything else it's a four inch line.  you're body lines on side with it, you don't have eyes at the side of your head!  they shouldn't be taking milimeters with this.  The obvious thing to do is have a secondary line to solve the problem.

It's obvious why the senior leagues aren't bothering with it because it's ludicrous.

I'm honestly as flabbergasted that people don't understand that.

Same mate – UEFA aren’t adhering to it in the men’s u21s and the English Premier League distanced themselves from it as soon as this farce panned out.  If a penalty travels at 80mph it takes 500 milliseconds to reach the goal and it takes a male keeper 600 milliseconds to reach the post so the attacker already has a distinct advantage.  Enforcing that they expressly can’t move until the player touches the ball (an Olympic sprinter takes c.200 milliseconds to react to the gun) increases their advantage significantly.   

All a player has to do under the new rules is stutter until the keeper commits themselves and then they can claim another go if they miss the first time too. 

What it is trying to stop is keepers being miles off their line as the player runs in and could stop that easily enough with a foamy spray a yard of the line. 

The other thing is about 75% of penalties are currently being scored which seems a pretty reasonable ratio.  If that increases then the excitement comes out of it and penalty shootouts will more and more get down to centre backs missing.   

Edited by ThistleWhistle

yip.  i know it's a bit of a leap but the folk that say "thems the rules" as if that's it finished for discussion are a bit of a worry.  

the law is sometimes an ass.

the rule , as above puts more eloquently than me, starts to bring up other unintended consequences around second chance.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, TDYER63 said:

@Flure and the gang, I expect to hear that voice of yours booming round the stadium. The one you use for singing in cathedrals and yelling at Lady Flure when she burns your dauphinoise potatoes . 

Well, I did my best.

And we WERE on the telly, I'm led to believe.

Only skimmed through the game on Wednesday as I had other stuff on but sat down and watched it in more detail last night.

Yes the game management was poor at 3-0 but the standard of officiating was atrociously bad. So many fouls getting committed and going unpunished, if that was at the men's World Cup the card count would've been through the roof.

At the first Argentina goal Crichton gets absolutely wiped out as she's about to clear the danger, leaving them free to break on goal.  Is VAR not supposed to review incidents prior to scoring? That goal was key as it changed the impetus and we were up against it from that point.

For the equaliser Argentina were allowed to take a free kick while Evans was still walking off the park. Brown has to sprint on appealing to the ref, and is still running into position when the attack starts down her flank that led to the penalty. 

And as for the the time added on, the game effectively lasted 83 minutes.  Both teams were denied the opportunity of a winner which would have kept them in the competition. 

We really had little fortune with referees in this tournament. Had the penalty v Japan been awarded and we got a 2-2 draw, we'd have finished 2nd in the group :(

Edited by Toepoke

21 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Had the penalty v Japan been awarded and we got a 2-2 draw, we'd have finished 2nd in the group :(

FFS. Didn't realise that. Everyone please stop, you're just making it worse! 

6 hours ago, McTeeko said:

Correct. If I remember correctly it used to be that the keeper wasn't allowed to move at all. They had to stand still on the goal line, until the ball had been kicked. I think that got changed in the 70s?

I see that FIFA/IFAB have just changed the rules halfway through the competition.

They've now said that the mandatory yellow card will not apply in matches where VAR is in place.

The reasoning behind this is they've realised that when it gets to the knockout rounds, there is a very high likelihood of a goalkeeper being sent off during a penalty shoot out which would turn the whole thing into a farce as it would mean an outfield player would have to go in goal - no substitutions allowed in shoot-outs.

So there you have it - the first example of the laws of the game being different - not differently interpreted - because of VAR.

This really is a shambles.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

I see that FIFA/IFAB have just changed the rules halfway through the competition.

They've now said that the mandatory yellow card will not apply in matches where VAR is in place.

The reasoning behind this is they've realised that when it gets to the knockout rounds, there is a very high likelihood of a goalkeeper being sent off during a penalty shoot out which would turn the whole thing into a farce as it would mean an outfield player would have to go in goal - no substitutions allowed in shoot-outs.

So there you have it - the first example of the laws of the game being different - not differently interpreted - because of VAR.

This really is a shambles.

You can't change the rules half way through a competition. That's unfair on those already affected, there could be legal implications here and grounds for law suits. What is the source of the rule change? 

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

You can't change the rules half way through a competition. That's unfair on those already affected, there could be legal implications here and grounds for law suits. What is the source of the rule change? 

https://www.theifab.com/news/temporary-dispensation-related-to-cautions-for-goalkeeper-encroachment-during-kicks-from-the-penalty-mark-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2019

10 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Correct. If I remember correctly it used to be that the keeper wasn't allowed to move at all. They had to stand still on the goal line, until the ball had been kicked. I think that got changed in the 70s?

Think it was a lot later than that tbh. Late 80s I would guess. 

Googled - 1997 it was changed that a keeper could move his feet on the line.

Edited by McTeeko