Women's World Cup Finals - Page 24 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

14 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

to be honest some of the views on here, i think i'd rather align myself more with the spirit of the womens fans than the mens!

i'll definitely be following them more after this world cup and it's just nice to have another Scotland team to support that have a chance of winning games at big tournaments.  And theyre only going to get bigger and better these things as time goes on.

Yes I'm a bit of a convert. It helps that I have two daughters who are right into it and are also related to one of the squad, but I have really got into going and watching them over the past couple of seasons.

Looking forward to the Euro qualifiers and hopefully another trip to a finals in 2 years (which are in England btw).

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Agreed. And it is driven by political correctness with all criticism is out of bounds.

Shelley will have had an easy time from the hacks.

Look what happened to Tam Cowan a few years back. Okay he was a bit OTT but whatever happened to free speech?

Yeah, no such thing as free speech anymore I'm afraid.  It would appear that words have trumped sticks and stones as the new weapon of choice!

I've enjoyed the Tournament. The football has been good and there's definitely a lot of talent in the women's game. All in all it's been a successful tournament and I'm sure women's football has collected a lot more fans as a result. However, the officiating has been absolutely woeful, from start to where we are now. Refs give fouls when they shouldn't and don't when they should.

Last night's debacle pretty much summed it up. Next season penalties are not going to regulated by VAR in the EPL, as they're leaving it to the sole discretion of the referee. Which makes sense. I mean, where was the ref looking when the player hit the penalty? Was her eye closed? Was her mind drifting off to what meal she was going to get after the match?

I read people saying that the 3 pens that were given against us were "100% penalties". Errrrr….. No. The first one against England, our player stuck out her leg to block the shot and her arm was out to balance her body, which is a "natural position", therefore, it should never have been given. People don't play football or run with their arms vertically downwards. I have no complaints about the other two pens.

Not that I'm saying the ref cost us last night, she didn't. When we were 3:0 up we should've shut-up-shop. Kerr should've put 5 defenders behind the ball and parked the bus and made three subs as soon as possible.

The best teams that I've seen are USA, Holland and France.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've enjoyed the Tournament. The football has been good and there's definitely a lot of talent in the women's game. All in all it's been a successful tournament and I'm sure women's football has collected a lot more fans as a result. However, the officiating has been absolutely woeful, from start to where we are now. Refs give fouls when they shouldn't and don't when they should.

Last night's debacle pretty much summed it up. Next season penalties are not going to regulated by VAR in the EPL, as they're leaving it to the sole discretion of the referee. Which makes sense. I mean, where was the ref looking when the player hit the penalty? Was her eye closed? Was her mind drifting off to what meal she was going to get after the match?

I read people saying that the 3 pens that were given against us were "100% penalties". Errrrr….. No. The first one against England, our player stuck out her leg to block the shot and her arm was out to balance her body, which is a "natural position", therefore, it should never have been given. People don't play football or run with their arms vertically downwards. I have no complaints about the other two pens.

Not that I'm saying the ref cost us last night, she didn't. When we were 3:0 up we should've shut-up-shop. Kerr should've put 5 defenders behind the ball and parked the bus and made three subs as soon as possible.

The best teams that I've seen are USA, Holland and France.

How is this any different to the men’s game?

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

How is this any different to the men’s game?

I've watched a dozen or so matches, it's honestly happened in every single match.

A French match, the ball was a yard out, and a couple yards away was the linewoman, she didn't flag it.

The quality of football has been of a high standard. All the teams play football on the deck (Which is more than you can say about Scottish football), but they really must improve the standard of the officials.

16 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I've watched a dozen or so matches, it's honestly happened in every single match.

A French match, the ball was a yard out, and a couple yards away was the linewoman, she didn't flag it.

The quality of football has been of a high standard. All the teams play football on the deck (Which is more than you can say about Scottish football), but they really must improve the standard of the officials.

I’ve watched a few thousand men’s games in my life and referees and their assistants have made mistakes in pretty much every match. There would be no need for VAR if the officials in the men’s game weren’t shite as well.

I haven’t watched much of the WC so you may well be right in saying the officiating has been worse than the men’s game but the standard is pretty poor in men’s football as well.

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ve watched a few thousand men’s games in my life and referees and their assistants have made mistakes in pretty much every match. There would be no need for VAR if the officials in the men’s game weren’t shite as well.

I haven’t watched much of the WC so you may well be right in saying the officiating has been worse than the men’s game but the standard is pretty poor in men’s football as well.

No, I agree. Generally the standard of referring (both male and female) is pretty poor. Normally I don't like to criticize as it must be stressful having tens of thousands eyes on you and tens of thousands of people pointing the finger (usually the middle one) and giving you dog's abuse for 90 mins. I wouldn't do it. But in this tournament the standard of referring is sticking out like a sore thumb.

Another positive about women's football is that there is very little/no playacting. There's no rolling around half a dozen times and hitting the deck like they've been snipered. The pen against England sticks my mind. It was harshly given, but the Scotland players accepted it and didn't verbally abuse the ref. The Men's game could learn a thing or two from these female players.

1 hour ago, romanticscot said:

Retaking the pen is already happening and yes they stress the rule but a yellow also, seems silly, on the retake you have the keeper in a frame of mind that they must not mess up, if they do and save it, its a 2nd yellow and I am off, PLUS having to deal with the mental state of trying to save a penalty.  In the case of France, the first pen wasn't even on target so the keeper coming off the line, could be argued had no bearing on the miss and they get a second chance.  I watched Argentina play last night, and their keeper did save the pen and I was eagle eyed on his feet to see how it would be handled by that ref. His strategy seemed to be fall forward and then pounce and he saved it. 

Does seem very harsh to give the keeper a yellow.  Isn't retaking a penalty for a minuscule infringement enough punishment?  Just seems cruel.

I was bewildered when the ref blew up last night thinking there must be another four or five minutes time to play.  Why cna't that do what rugby does and have a clock that just stops for stoppages, would be a lot more sensible.

4 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Does seem very harsh to give the keeper a yellow.  Isn't retaking a penalty for a minuscule infringement enough punishment?  Just seems cruel.

I was bewildered when the ref blew up last night thinking there must be another four or five minutes time to play.  Why cna't that do what rugby does and have a clock that just stops for stoppages, would be a lot more sensible.

There was talk a couple of years ago of cutting each half down to 30 minutes and stopping the clock every time play stopped. Not sure what happened to the idea though. 

2 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Retaking the pen is already happening and yes they stress the rule but a yellow also, seems silly, on the retake you have the keeper in a frame of mind that they must not mess up, if they do and save it, its a 2nd yellow and I am off, PLUS having to deal with the mental state of trying to save a penalty.  In the case of France, the first pen wasn't even on target so the keeper coming off the line, could be argued had no bearing on the miss and they get a second chance.  I watched Argentina play last night, and their keeper did save the pen and I was eagle eyed on his feet to see how it would be handled by that ref. His strategy seemed to be fall forward and then pounce and he saved it. 

We could have a semi final scenario when the keeper is booked for moving before the first penalty she faces. She then has to the pressure of having to face four more knowing whether or not her side makes the final is largely down to her plus being aware if she moves again she will be punished by being banned from the final.

One thing is for sure the goalkeepers are not going to get away with moving at this tournament. Remember VAR is in its infancy and this will all come good at later tournaments.

Re the French penalty, if I remember the keeper started to dive in the correct direction. This may or may not have been noticed by the kicker who perhaps placed the ball further to the goalies right than originally intended. So its not enough to say it was missed anyway as the keepers actions might have affected the kicker - only one person knows the answer to that.

6 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

So its not enough to say it was missed anyway as the keepers actions might have affected the kicker - only one person knows the answer to that.

Your absolutely right there, either way cannot be dogmatic and a retake is the fairest option. VAR needs refinement, a valid question - is the temporary time to iron out issues worth what we experienced in years gone by without VAR in any fashion?  I think of only a few controversial incidents in previous tournament and here we are not even out of the the group stages and there are half a dozen already. The men's world cup last year had VAR but I don't remembering it being like this.  Tennis uses it's video refereeing quite well, I hear Ice Hockey has controversy quite often. I think power needs to be with the ref's and they are given discretion when to call on VAR.  And perhaps, a team is given one call per half that don't rollover. Is this getting silly? 

Edited by romanticscot

4 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I was really gutted at the manner in which it all ended.

VAR for me, can be debated and yes the initial save broke the rules, but to get a yellow for it and then to have to try and save the penalty, this really puts goalkeepers at at even greater disadvantage than they already are. We should have done better for sure at 3-0 to make changes, we were pressing forward for more goals, then don't make any changes until the 80th odd minute, the penalty claim for me - 8 minutes of VAR drama - clearly their penalty claim was not clear and obvious, and in my understanding of the rules this would not be a penalty, but that's the referee's call.  It seems harsh to me, even before the VAR stuff, that we are making a substitution and the ref allows a free kick to take place when the 4th official hadn't allowed our player on the park, you can see the replay the lassie is running from the other side of the park whilst play is taking place for seconds, then there is the extra time blunder - 8 minutes account for the penalty stuff alone never mind all of the regular stoppages so when the board goes up at 94 minutes of 4 minutes of extra time essentially meaning the game is over - this is travesty. Even for the Argentinians if I put my neutral hat on, they would would be buzzing for a 4th goal and make their destiny certain.  It was clear to me the referee did not stamp her authority on the game and after the VAR drama she likely just wanted to be off the park, so blew the whistle far too early.  So yes, we could have done better against Eng;land or Japan PERHAPS, but two losses against two better teams setup the last game as our cup final, their first two goals - no complaints or claims of conspiracy but the manner of the 3rd seems hard to take. Plus, the VAR referee's were German I believe, which I am not accusing them of cheating but German are set to be affected by the outcome of that game, I think clearly there are procedural things with VAR that need major work.  Perhaps the referee's have a time limit on the decision, if they can't decide after 3 minutes then they go with the info they have gleaned.  

Maybe in HG Wells' The Country of the Blind.  Absolute stonewaller.  How the ref needed to study the TV as long was a mystery.  Must've had the shopping channel on.

10 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Maybe in HG Wells' The Country of the Blind.  Absolute stonewaller.  How the ref needed to study the TV as long was a mystery.  Must've had the shopping channel on.

You and I have a far differing view on what is considered stonewall. 

- 

Edited by romanticscot

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Thought that myself. Took forever to decide. 100% penalty that was obvious without ANY replay. 

2 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

What is with the fuckin makeup? Fake eyelashes? Its football, no the fuckin Oscars.... 

Caterpillar eyelashes are great for blotting out the floodlights in a high ball :huh:

Anyway, seriously (cough) , how much does Reynaldo spend on a haircut?

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

We could have a semi final scenario when the keeper is booked for moving before the first penalty she faces. She then has to the pressure of having to face four more knowing whether or not her side makes the final is largely down to her plus being aware if she moves again she will be punished by being banned from the final.

One thing is for sure the goalkeepers are not going to get away with moving at this tournament. Remember VAR is in its infancy and this will all come good at later tournaments.

Re the French penalty, if I remember the keeper started to dive in the correct direction. This may or may not have been noticed by the kicker who perhaps placed the ball further to the goalies right than originally intended. So its not enough to say it was missed anyway as the keepers actions might have affected the kicker - only one person knows the answer to that.

The GK is allowed to move. They are just not allowed to move off the goal line until the kick has been taken. It shouldn't be a difficult law to understand. Just stay on the fukin goal line until the baw has been kicked.

15 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The GK is allowed to move. They are just not allowed to move off the goal line until the kick has been taken. It shouldn't be a difficult law to understand. Just stay on the fukin goal line until the baw has been kicked.

Messi penalty compilation

Watch that video and you tell me how many times a goalkeeper stays on his line.

I'll give you a clue. It's either none and zilch.

The "goalkeepers have to stay on the line till the ball has been struck" isn't a new law. Keepers get away with it all the time, and they'll continue to get away with it. Why they're using this World Cup as a Guinea pig to clamp down on keepers moving forward off their lines is baffling. 

Next season in the EPL they won't allow VAR to get involved with keepers moving forward during penalties and I'm sure that the other top leagues won't, either. Referees need help. but not when it comes to this. The ref is usually watching when a penalty is being struck so it should be his sole jurisdiction. If they're going to take all power away from the ref then why not just introduce VAR Drones to officiate the match.