Women's World Cup Finals - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Women's World Cup Finals

TAMB2

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

It was either a player or Kerr but it was on the news, a terrible attitude and poor planning. Doesn't put belief in the team at all.

She had good and bad moments in all of the games, thinks a bit much of herself and doesn't get her head up and pass at times. 

She really is, works her arse off too, glad she got a goal at least because she thoroughly deserved it.

She is very talented and has as good a first touch as most in the men’s squad. 

4 hours ago, thplinth said:

What was the glorious part?.

From my point of view there’s none, none whatsoever. Try asking the likes of Amy McDonald, Nicola Sturgeon, Lewis Capaldi and all the other soft cunts all over social media who are wallowing in yet another failure

Fuck them. Useless cunts were powderpuff in the first two games and bottled it in the third

As for Shelley Kerr, let’s cut the football revolutionist the Scottish media make her out to be. Quite simply, she’s been found out when it comes to facing the big girls

No wonder we are a joke and embarrassment of a nation with this tedious self pitying pish

Wha’s like us eh

Edited by UpTheSlope

Anybody hear the Radio Scotland phone in this morning?

Unbelievable crap with around 90% of the callers saying the girls should be proud and how sorry they felt for them. One even claimed there was a conspiracy against Scotland whom FIFA had not wanted at the tournament which resulted in the VAR decisions. John Beatties views were a breath of fresh air whilst one texter said all the VAR decisions were spot on and if it was the mens team the manager would have been sacked after that series of results.

The VAR calls were 100% correct. Yes more time should have been added but Argentina have as much reason to complain as Scotland as they had equal incentive as us to score a winner and were clearly the more confident side at that stage.

The whole thing was overhyped following the send off and victory over Jamaica. As results proved Jamaica were the second worst side at the tournament behind Thailand with three defeats of 0-3, 0-5 and 1-4 and we beat them by the narrowest of margins at home.

Always thought Kerr talked a good game and sounded tactically astute. She was even mentioned as a possible future manager of the mens team but ultimately was found to be naive, particularly in the last two games.

Pre tournament all this Our Girls, Our Game and Shelleys Heroes nonsense, not to mention the BBC documentary, was over the top and I thought so at the time. That's not the teams fault of course but they were keen to promote the game amongst girls which I have to admit they did succeed in doing.

Had there not been so much focus on Steve Clarkes opening games the hype would have been even worse. The only good thing about not making the knockout stage is we won't be subjected to the inevitable `We've done what the men have never been able to achieve' quotes.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error

Anyone got a link to the video posted into one of the Facebook pages with the old boy singing a song with the words

“come home and do the dishes

you’re not football player, your someone’s missus

so come home and do the dishes 

you’re not the centre forward that you think

your much better when you’re at the kitchen sink so come home and do the dishes”

Cant seem to find it anymore

I really hope we don't go down the ''Var robbed us'' route of anaylsing this match. Yes, we didn't get many breaks with VAR throughout the tournament nor the penalty and re-take ; but we blew that ourselves royally and to deflect from losing three goals in sixteen minutes is criminal and the reason we are going home.

Kerr should stay on, but she surely has to look back at things and realise there were major errors made by herself and the coaching team. Even at 3-1, why didn't they start rolling the changes, slow the game right down.

There was a hype about it, and quite rightly so - our first WC for 21 years and the Womens first one ever. Look at how far the Scottish Womens team have come in 15-20 years is breathtaking so they deserve credit and even a bit of hype.

I'll be disappointed if once the dust is settled and they look back on this, they don't all realise that they blew it last night. And they re-group work on the areas we are poor in for the next campaign. They talk about learning from experience/caps under your belt etc, so hopefully last night was an incredibly harsh lesson for the group.

There's a good wee squad there and we will hopefully push on in the qualifiers for the Euros.

Lessons to be learned, and yes the ref was horrendous and quite rightly should be criticised for an inept performance ; but she isn't the reason we lost the match.

10 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The media I find generally patronise the women’s game in the coverage I’ve watched and read. That will stop eventually or turn people off. 

Agreed. And it is driven by political correctness with all criticism is out of bounds.

Shelley will have had an easy time from the hacks.

Look what happened to Tam Cowan a few years back. Okay he was a bit OTT but whatever happened to free speech?

Throughout the week I've heard Tom English, Peter Houston, Michael Stewart, Julie Fleeting and the Off The Balls productive but critical of the team.

I think the BBC's lovely dovery coverage yes is a bit patronising ; but I think Sportsound and BBC/Radio Scotland on the whole have covered it well with respect/criticism when required too.

Only one who's a bit soft  on them would be Richard Gordon but he's not a pundit.

8 minutes ago, UpTheSlope said:

Anyone got a link to the video posted into one of the Facebook pages with the old boy singing a song with the words

“come home and do the dishes

you’re not football player, your someone’s missus

so come home and do the dishes 

you’re not the centre forward that you think

your much better when you’re at the kitchen sink so come home and do the dishes”

Cant seem to find it anymore

Have you checked in 1957?

Jokes. Here it is mate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ErGopTsMg.

I felt physically sick last night.   From 3-2 on in fact.

I'm thinking back to 2001 when the men were 2-0 up at half time against 10 men and blew a crucial qualifier.   Maybe still raw, but last night felt worse.   I'm feeling guilty too as I had a peek at Grenoble on Sky Scanner before the game, so I've got to take some of the blame.

Let's see how Germany do against the 3rd place team they meet.   Just realised that Argentina are not yet out of it.   I thought they were a bit overly happy at the end.

I didn’t watch the game last night as I was ill in bed and in all honesty I’m not a big fan of women’s football (I’d probably have watched if I wasn’t sick as it is Scotland after all) but if you can’t hold on to a 3-0 lead with 15 minutes to go then I’m afraid you don’t deserve to go through.

Sounds like the women are just as bad as holding their bottle as the Scottish mens teams over the years. 

19 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I felt physically sick last night.   From 3-2 on in fact.

I'm thinking back to 2001 when the men were 2-0 up at half time against 10 men and blew a crucial qualifier.   Maybe still raw, but last night felt worse.   I'm feeling guilty too as I had a peek at Grenoble on Sky Scanner before the game, so I've got to take some of the blame.

Let's see how Germany do against the 3rd place team they meet.   Just realised that Argentina are not yet out of it.   I thought they were a bit overly happy at the end.

So did I 😪

I was really gutted at the manner in which it all ended.

VAR for me, can be debated and yes the initial save broke the rules, but to get a yellow for it and then to have to try and save the penalty, this really puts goalkeepers at at even greater disadvantage than they already are. We should have done better for sure at 3-0 to make changes, we were pressing forward for more goals, then don't make any changes until the 80th odd minute, the penalty claim for me - 8 minutes of VAR drama - clearly their penalty claim was not clear and obvious, and in my understanding of the rules this would not be a penalty, but that's the referee's call.  It seems harsh to me, even before the VAR stuff, that we are making a substitution and the ref allows a free kick to take place when the 4th official hadn't allowed our player on the park, you can see the replay the lassie is running from the other side of the park whilst play is taking place for seconds, then there is the extra time blunder - 8 minutes account for the penalty stuff alone never mind all of the regular stoppages so when the board goes up at 94 minutes of 4 minutes of extra time essentially meaning the game is over - this is travesty. Even for the Argentinians if I put my neutral hat on, they would would be buzzing for a 4th goal and make their destiny certain.  It was clear to me the referee did not stamp her authority on the game and after the VAR drama she likely just wanted to be off the park, so blew the whistle far too early.  So yes, we could have done better against Eng;land or Japan PERHAPS, but two losses against two better teams setup the last game as our cup final, their first two goals - no complaints or claims of conspiracy but the manner of the 3rd seems hard to take. Plus, the VAR referee's were German I believe, which I am not accusing them of cheating but German are set to be affected by the outcome of that game, I think clearly there are procedural things with VAR that need major work.  Perhaps the referee's have a time limit on the decision, if they can't decide after 3 minutes then they go with the info they have gleaned.  

16 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I was really gutted at the manner in which it all ended.

VAR for me, can be debated and yes the initial save broke the rules, but to get a yellow for it and then to have to try and save the penalty, this really puts goalkeepers at at even greater disadvantage than they already are. We should have done better for sure at 3-0 to make changes, we were pressing forward for more goals, then don't make any changes until the 80th odd minute, the penalty claim for me - 8 minutes of VAR drama - clearly their penalty claim was not clear and obvious, and in my understanding of the rules this would not be a penalty, but that's the referee's call.  It seems harsh to me, even before the VAR stuff, that we are making a substitution and the ref allows a free kick to take place when the 4th official hadn't allowed our player on the park, you can see the replay the lassie is running from the other side of the park whilst play is taking place for seconds, then there is the extra time blunder - 8 minutes account for the penalty stuff alone never mind all of the regular stoppages so when the board goes up at 94 minutes of 4 minutes of extra time essentially meaning the game is over - this is travesty. Even for the Argentinians if I put my neutral hat on, they would would be buzzing for a 4th goal and make their destiny certain.  It was clear to me the referee did not stamp her authority on the game and after the VAR drama she likely just wanted to be off the park, so blew the whistle far too early.  So yes, we could have done better against Eng;land or Japan PERHAPS, but two losses against two better teams setup the last game as our cup final, their first two goals - no complaints or claims of conspiracy but the manner of the 3rd seems hard to take. Plus, the VAR referee's were German I believe, which I am not accusing them of cheating but German are set to be affected by the outcome of that game, I think clearly there are procedural things with VAR that need major work.  Perhaps the referee's have a time limit on the decision, if they can't decide after 3 minutes then they go with the info they have gleaned.  

If it's clear and obvious then VAR should have 30 seconds to notify the referee who can then look and say yes or no in a maximum of three views.  If that doesn't give a decision then it wasn't clear and obvious.

1 minute ago, adamntg said:

If it's clear and obvious then VAR should have 30 seconds to notify the referee who can then look and say yes or no in a maximum of three views.  If that doesn't give a decision then it wasn't clear and obvious.

I agree with this, it ruins the flow of the game. I am just waiting for the first penalty shootout to see how they will handle it, keepers are likely to screw up twice and get two yellows and be off, what a farce. 

2 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Pre tournament all this Our Girls, Our Game and Shelleys Heroes nonsense, not to mention the BBC documentary, was over the top and I thought so at the time. That's not the teams fault of course but they were keen to promote the game amongst girls which I have to admit they did succeed in doing.

goodness me, is the country not allowed to enjoy being in a world cup for once?

it was hardly in your face if you didn't want to enjoy it.  The men getting there, you'd have had screens in george square and rightly so.

They came close and have themselves and stupid rules to blame.  

But hopefully it'll be good for young girls in this country and more power to them next time.

to be honest some of the views on here, i think i'd rather align myself more with the spirit of the womens fans than the mens!

i'll definitely be following them more after this world cup and it's just nice to have another Scotland team to support that have a chance of winning games at big tournaments.  And theyre only going to get bigger and better these things as time goes on.

23 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I agree with this, it ruins the flow of the game. I am just waiting for the first penalty shootout to see how they will handle it, keepers are likely to screw up twice and get two yellows and be off, what a farce. 

I suspect when we have the first VAR shoot out goalkeepers will be more aware of the ruling and it won't be that bad. If they are practicing penalties  this will surely now form part of the training schedule.

That said the referee was clearly seen to warn Alexander ahead of the first kick last night and her instincts still kicked in so the yellow card was justified. I suspect the refs have all been instructed to stress the rules before any kicks are taken in France.

At the end of the day if a foul has been committed and a possible goal prevented the advantage SHOULD be with the kicker.

Edited by Catchart Circle

Retaking the pen is already happening and yes they stress the rule but a yellow also, seems silly, on the retake you have the keeper in a frame of mind that they must not mess up, if they do and save it, its a 2nd yellow and I am off, PLUS having to deal with the mental state of trying to save a penalty.  In the case of France, the first pen wasn't even on target so the keeper coming off the line, could be argued had no bearing on the miss and they get a second chance.  I watched Argentina play last night, and their keeper did save the pen and I was eagle eyed on his feet to see how it would be handled by that ref. His strategy seemed to be fall forward and then pounce and he saved it.